• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen
    To answer some of the questions that have risen about shooting the dog. Even after i had the leo here the dog came back. If it comes to putting it down it will be quick and not with a round that will travel 2 county over. As far as animal control, i asked and if they come out and get it from my house it will cost me around $50 and it isnt my dog. When i talked to said owner he really could have cared less the dog was loose and took his sweet time about coming and getting it, and said to deal wit hit how ever. So if anyone wants a dog you know where you can find one.

whatscooking

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Madison,In
    I live out in the sticks so i can do things differently if needed but if it would make you feel better wait untill the dog has you kid in it's mouth then you will feel better about killing it, if that dog is doing what you say i say DOG GONE NOW

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Actually I have seen these before, that's why I mentioned, I wondered if she would wear ear muffs. My cousin gave her some doggles and she didn't like them at first but she did wear them once while we were boating and she didn't seem to mind them. Hubby on the other hand thought it was embarassing. :rolleyes:
    Why did you make him wear them?:D

wrigleycub

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    West side of Indy
    Put a bowl of anti-freeze somewhere out of the way in your yard. He'll find it and be out of your hair in a couple days! Sausage balls with sponge laced inside works good too!= no:poop:

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Put a bowl of anti-freeze somewhere out of the way in your yard. He'll find it and be out of your hair in a couple days! Sausage balls with sponge laced inside works good too!= no:poop:

Please don't advocate this because it leaves the opportunity to harm/kill the non-intented target(aka problem dog). My in-laws put out mole bait in their yard(for a mole problem), years ago, and accidently killed their own dog. My husband has stopped using mice and rat posioning in the barns too because he doesn't want to accidently harm any of the barn cats or our dog who loves to kills mice too.

I sympathize with the OP because his neighbors are being irresponsible with their pet, the animal control people aren't doing their jobs properly because they want to charge the OP for taking care of the problem and the LEO's aren't requiring the owners to take responsibilty for their problem dog.

I believe the OP has been very generous in trying to figure this problem out without destroying the dog. I don't blame him either. Killing is not generally an easy thing to do and shouldn't be.

Please Please, do not set poison out where it can be ingested by innocent animals/pets.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Yup. I can quote an officer a few years back. "If they ever try to break into that car again??? You are welcome to blow their head off."

Don't do what the police say is correct, not all officers are informed or understanding of the law surrounding those they protect... There are many out there, but not all.

"We (YOU) have to understand that 90% (or more) of the public are MORONS! If the police say 'it's OK and a great idea' then some jackass is gonna set up his high powered rifle and fire from his front door toward the street while a bus is dropping off kids because...............'THE POLICE SAID I COULD!' "

concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen
    No poison will be used( for the safety of my own dog) cause it is not a quick end! If the dog has to be put down it will be with no suffering.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    To answer some of the questions that have risen about shooting the dog. Even after i had the leo here the dog came back. If it comes to putting it down it will be quick and not with a round that will travel 2 county over. As far as animal control, i asked and if they come out and get it from my house it will cost me around $50 and it isnt my dog. When i talked to said owner he really could have cared less the dog was loose and took his sweet time about coming and getting it, and said to deal wit hit how ever. So if anyone wants a dog you know where you can find one.
    Imagine that another government system that protects the offender and costs the victim
    No poison will be used( for the safety of my own dog) cause it is not a quick end! If the dog has to be put down it will be with no suffering.

While I appreciate this from you as it is very respectable, seems like the dog is getting the short end of the stick because it has a ****head for an owner:twocents:. Carry on, although I do wish it didn't have to go the way it seems it will go.

concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen
    Imagine that another government system that protects the offender and costs the victim

While I appreciate this from you as it is very respectable, seems like the dog is getting the short end of the stick because it has a ****head for an owner:twocents:. Carry on, although I do wish it didn't have to go the way it seems it will go.
    Well there is not much you can do with some peoples kids, even after they grow up. As far as the dog it has not been seen all weekend:dunno:.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    If you didn't live so far away I'd say your problem dog was the one that caught me in my backyard last night, without so much as a flashlight. Like a flashlight would have done any good, except I would have gotten a better ID on the stray.
    Good thing it wasn't aggressive either, because he was between me and the house.

right winger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 31, 2008
    Hymera
    You have violated Hornett's second rule of dog control.

Rule Number 1:
    My yard is my yard. Any dog that wanders on to my yard because the owner did not properly control it is fair game and could be terminated at my whim.

Rule #2:
    KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!
    If no one suspects you, then you are not a suspect. ;)
    If you are always calling the police and making a public record out of it, then you will draw attention to yourself anytime anything happens to someones dog.

I LIKE dogs.
    And for the most part, dogs that come on my property are as likely to get petted (by me) as anything. But I still reserve the right to dispatch aggressive dogs with impunity.

I understand you are in town and there are firearms discharge laws, but, Good Grief, quit calling the cops.
    yep

Cherryspringer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Lafayette
    This is only a suggestion but you may consider using your bare hands. This is how I've handled any and all stray dogs that have invaded my perimeter for the last 20 years or so. It's a rush to battle another animal. You may take a few for the team but you'll feel better when it's all over. If you feel you need an edge use a bat or a stick. Dogs are not really big enough to battle us men if you attack them. Trust me. If you really hate this animal place both hands in it's mouth and pull in a fashion as if to open it's mouth, it will never bite again. Chase it down on foot and kick it's axx.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    This is only a suggestion but you may consider using your bare hands. This is how I've handled any and all stray dogs that have invaded my perimeter for the last 20 years or so. It's a rush to battle another animal. You may take a few for the team but you'll feel better when it's all over. If you feel you need an edge use a bat or a stick. Dogs are not really big enough to battle us men if you attack them. Trust me. If you really hate this animal place both hands in it's mouth and pull in a fashion as if to open it's mouth, it will never bite again. Chase it down on foot and kick it's axx.

I bet you bite them back too don'tcha :laugh:

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion

What about the breeds that were bred to fight men and did so successfully time after time, just ask anybody that fought against Ireland.
    irish_wolfhounds.jpg

Protected livestock day to day, took men off of horses during war.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy

Was this supposed to be in purple? Or maybe I need to invoke the Diane Whipple story? Attempting to fight off an aggressive dog (or 2) by hand can have very severe consequences.

Diane Whipple - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen
    Well my Family tried to do the so "called" right thing with a small stray dog. When the people came to get it they where very rude and acted like it was our fault their dog was half mile from home.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Well my Family tried to do the so "called" right thing with a small stray dog. When the people came to get it they where very rude and acted like it was our fault their dog was half mile from home.

So the so "called" right thing is to call the owners of a stray dog, instead of shooting it?

I am SO very sorry for your families inconvenience. :rolleyes:

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    A dog and it's owner only get so many opportunities in my yard...I've got small children. If a dog shows up, I run it off. If it's not a pain in the axx and doesn't act stupid, no consequences. But I'm not putting up with repeat offenses from a nasty disposition, be it owner or animal. It's not a big political battle in my rural area...if your dog runs off and doesn't return, you look for it. If someone admits to getting rid of it you shed a tear and move on. I don't like killing dogs, but I will. My daughter was bitten in the face and had 22 stitches, that dog met his maker shortly thereafter. I keep a close watch.

seamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    If it is an aggressive dog and you can safely "dispatch" it to the next life without messing up yours, do so as others have stated, quickly quietly and dispose of it in a discrete manner.

Top Bottom