Saiga the new cult following around here?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • localone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 22, 2010
    NW Indiana
    Here is the retracted view

2zp8lcn.jpg

rooster007

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    KINGDOM OF CLERMONT
    BIG QUESTION

Folks I need someone to answer this question for me . What is the difference legally between a Stryker/Streetsweeper , AA12 and a Saiga ?

Back in the day I bought a Streetsweeper/Stryker from Gary Shoe over at Shoe's Gun Rack off of 10th St. for $315.00 , had it for about 4 or 5 years??? and got a letter from the ATF stating that I had to transfer it or DD it . Now a Saiga has a removable mag , 10 shot, you can get a 25 rnd drum , and I think a 50 rnd drum ( if I'm wrong please don't bash me , I'm not that stabile) . I've shot a Tromix conversion and a regular 19 in. Saiga , which I think is by far superior to the gun I had . I would like to buy a tromix lead slinger or just get a SAIGA and do the pistol grip , folder conversion myself. They class 3 'ed the Sweeper, what keeps them from doing the same to the Saiga (other than retarded politicians??????? )

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    What is the difference legally between a Stryker/Streetsweeper , AA12 and a Saiga

The Striker-12 and Street Sweeper are both NFA weapons (now), being classified as Destructive Devices in the early 1990s. The AA-12 is a select-fire weapon introduced after 1986 (post-86 dealer sample), and thus is not legal for the average citizen to own. The Saiga-12 is a semi-automatic sporting shotgun built in Russia and legally imported into the US.

Now a Saiga has a removable mag , 10 shot, you can get a 25 rnd drum , and I think a 50 rnd drum ( if I'm wrong please don't bash me

Biggest drum available for the Saiga-12 is the Alliance Armament 30-round steel drum. Big, bulky, heavy, and unreliable. There are also drums by MD Arms and Promag that hold 20, and a Promag compact drum that holds 12. Box mags are available in 12, 10, 8, 6, 5 and 2-round capacities from various manufacturers.

They class 3 'ed the Sweeper, what keeps them from doing the same to the Saiga (other than retarded politicians??????? )

The ruling that changed the status of the Striker-12, Street Sweeper and USAS-12 was made under a vastly different political climate than what exists today. Also, all three guns were domestically produced variants of foreign designs that had previously been deemed unimportable by the ATF. In making their ruling, ATF considered a number of factors besides just magazine capacity, including overall dimensions, weight/bulk, and "suitability for sporting purposes".

The Saigas have an advantage in that they were approved for importation with the ability to accept a detachable box magazine (although nothing over 5 rounds is allowed in the gun in its stock configuration). If you alter the gun so that it complies with 922(r), thus making it "domestically built" in the eyes of the law, you can use a magazine of any capacity you want.

Theoretically, ATF could unilaterally issue a ruling to reclassify the Saiga-12 (or more likely, the combination of Saiga-12 + drum magazine) as a Destructive Device. People have been warning that would happen since the very first 10-round box magazine was introduced by AGP Arms years ago, and it hasn't yet. The longer we go, and the more Saiga-12s are legally imported, the harder that genie's going to be to put back in the bottle.

My :twocents:

Last edited:

Juggernaut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2010
    Owosso Mi
    As far as DD, there is something to do with the street sweeper being integrated/ nondetachable as an issue... as far as the USAS-12, I have no idea...
    If anything, the drums themselves would be declared DD...
    (At least that is the "quick and dirty" opinion of the past five years on the Saiga board...)

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    If you're asking what to buy, buy the saiga. For those who asked about the chaos extended quad rail, yes, you have to remove the rear sight. Just use a punch and hammer and it'll come out. Mine still didn't fit correctly so i had to take the dremel to the inside of the chaos rail to fit over the rear sight grove thing. Alls good in my hood now. I ordered the extended quad before cameron made his rail mounted hk sights. I plan on buying some and using them. Currently i have some magpul mbus sights on it and they work fine.

E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    "Converting" a Saiga involves changing the stock Saiga from it's sporterized version to a proper AK style, i.e. the trigger group is moved forward to where it's behind the mag. release whereby you can add a pistol grip configuration. Oh, yes, you have to use U.S. made parts to do this until its 922r compliant.
    I have two of them, one is a converted Saiga in .308 and the other is a Saiga 7.62x39 in its original state. Most if not all the new Saiga's that I have seen all have black stocks. I can't bring myself to do away with the wood, it's too purty.:)

I just finished putting approx. 100 rounds through the .308 and 200 rounds through the 7.62x39. I like shooting the 7.62, less kick, but the .308 has the coolness factor which I like. Finished my day on the farm with shooting at some Tannerite exploding targets. What a BLAST! No pun intended.:D
    25atgtu.jpg

91dmbn.jpg

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Can you confirm or deny that the rear sight needs to be removed to mount the Chaos Extended rail? I just ordered one too!:rockwoot::rockwoot:

Yes, the rear sight has to be driven out. Mine was in there VERY well.

But the chaos rail looks cool and works well.

Another cool bit about Chaos is they are in Evansville! :rockwoot:

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Yes, the rear sight has to be driven out. Mine was in there VERY well.

But the chaos rail looks cool and works well.

Another cool bit about Chaos is they are in Evansville! :rockwoot:

Very cool... and they're not INGOer's????

Granted, INGO's got a more family friendly tone than forum.Saiga12...

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Well Sir, If we could get the AA-12 at any sort of reasonable price you would never hear the word Saiga again.

Fixed it for you.

The price of the Saiga would make it much more popular.

I have a feeling we'd have seen the same fervor over the FN PS90 as well if it was priced like Nornico 320, lol.

That said, I need to convert my S-12 :D

Last edited:

Juggernaut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2010
    Owosso Mi
    Saiga flat outperforms the USAS-12.....
    No matter how mush money is spent...

I already got a hot (Trophy) wife... and I already have the most effective, reliable fighting shotgun in the world!!!

Top Bottom