• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dorky_D

Expert
    Dec 4, 2010
    I got one from them really on sale after Christmas.
    Get one! They are generally +/- $350.

Great deal, and a lot of fun to tinker with and convert! Do it! All of the cool people are doing it!
    Do you feel any peer pressure yet?

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I got one from them really on sale after Christmas.
    Get one! They are generally +/- $350.

Great deal, and a lot of fun to tinker with and convert! Do it! All of the cool people are doing it!
    Do you feel any peer pressure yet?

Actually, I was on the fence between this, a cheap AR and the Kel-tec SU-16. But it was the rear sites, my familiarity with the AK actions and the feel of the stock Saiga in my hands that settled this.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Dec 4, 2010
    I was looking at the exact same set of stuf. I wanted a defensive rifle. For $350 or so out the door, not too bad. You can of course add more crap and convert it, but for that price you cannot go wrong to get started.

If you are converting it, go to CarolinaShootersSupply and get one of their package deals for a conversion kit. You might be able to find individual parts a bit cheaper, but by the time you pay shipping on all of them, Carolina is way cheaper. They have some of the best conversion videos on their site. Especially how to re-assemble the trigger control group with the bolt hold open lever. Great!

If you compare a Saiga with conversion, you may pay about $50 or a little more compared to buying a Century AK, but you know that it is new, and you know what is in it.
    I am thinking of getting another!

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I know I'm in the minority on this, but I truely like the feel of the standard Saiga stock. Just needs a 30-rd mag or two.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Dec 4, 2010
    I liked the standard stock too. It felt comfortable. You are going to run into a legal issue if you get 30 round mags for it. From my understanding of the 922r compliance (not an expert, nor a lawyer), is that if you add one of these; muzzle brake, pistol grip or 30 round mag (possibly other) that you need to make it 922r compliant by adding enough of the right US made parts to make it legal. Google "AK 922r compliance check list" for an automated parts check list.

I replaced the buttstock, put pistol grip on, used the Tapco trigger group, handguard, and all of my mags have at least 1 compliance part. With that, I am compliant with one part to spare. I am not an expert, but you really ned to check it out before you just add a 30 round mag.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Dec 4, 2010
    I do not believe so. I believe any mags over 10 would cause you to need to be compliant. I am just wanting to be helpful, and again, I am not an official legal opinion, but most people I have encoutered read it this way.
    The conversion is really simple. For me the toughest/scarriest part was drilling for the bullet guide. This is not hard, and you can use the Surefire magazines without using a bullet guide. Dinzagarms.com is where I got my bullet guide. There is some helpful info on this site.

Here is just one of the many resources on this topic of 922r and Saigas. This is a good place to get info and help on Saiga stuff too.
    Parts Count on Saiga Shotguns and Rifles - forum.Saiga-12.com

Bradis Guns

Expert
    Apr 10, 2010
    We have located a supplier who has the .223 Saigas in-stock, and will have a new batch in next week! :yesway:

Price will be $399.95.

ChromeLined

Plinker
    Jul 22, 2011
    My friend has a .223 saiga, I noticed it was only stamped .223.
    That seemed a little wierd to me.
    I thought Russian ammo was made to 5.56 specs.
    Are they just to proud to stamp NATO on them or what?

Dorky_D

Expert
    Dec 4, 2010
    They are good to go on 5.56, but why when you can shoot steel cased stuf for .20 cents a round vs. .30 or mor cents a round.

Top Bottom