• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Dealer also told me all the new Sienna models are going to be hybrid. If that's true, one won't be able to buy a new gas-only Toyota minivan. I like Toyota, and we have a Sienna, but I simply will not own an EV or hybrid. Hopefully I can nurse our current one a good long while.

:noway::noway:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    But I’m sure it will let you text to your heart’s desire while completely ignoring traffic, so it’s got that going for it.
    The technology exists to set off alarms and sure, shut a vehicle down, if you are texting, or doing anything that takes your eyes inside the car for too long in a given 5 second time period, so don't give them any ideas

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    The technology exists to set off alarms and sure, shut a vehicle down, if you are texting, or doing anything that takes your eyes inside the car for too long in a given 5 second time period, so don't give them any ideas
    It's already in use.

If you look away for 10ish seconds (don't recall how long it took), while using GMs Super Cruise, warnings will sound, the wheel lights up, and if you don't take control, the system will ramp up warnings and then disengage.

If you still don't engage, it'll turn on your hazards, stop the vehicle and call OnStar.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    It's already in use.

If you look away for 10ish seconds (don't recall how long it took), while using GMs Super Cruise, warnings will sound, the wheel lights up, and if you don't take control, the system will ramp up warnings and then disengage.

If you still don't engage, it'll turn on your hazards, stop the vehicle and call OnStar.

That is the tech I was thinking of, but it could be applied much more widely....god forbid.

[ETA]

Our minivan has adaptive cruise control, which I love, and lane-keep assist, which I don't. It doesn't have the eye/vision tracking, but it aggressively wants me to keep a hand on the wheel...even when I have a hand on the wheel. If you are going straight down a decent road and not putting in steering inputs regularly because you don't have to, it will alarm. I suspect that most of this tech is not quite ready for prime time, especially as it ages.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Toyota has gone off the deep end of nannying safety.

Im driving a loaner from the company for my work travels. A 2022 Toyota Cross. My first impression was a simple yet nice crossover.

Until tonight.

These have an automatic parking brake that sets each time you put it in park. Its slightly annoying in that the car will lurch a bit when it engages, but other than being mildly unnerving, no big deal. Until...

I stopped for gas. I parked at the first pump and got out. Pump is out of order. No biggie. I jump back in and simultaneously start the car, and then put it in drive WHILE I closed the door. MISTAKE!!!! It immediately went into safety nazi mode because it hit drive before the door was closed.

It had an error on the screen telling me I absolutely could not move until I closed the door AND fastened the seat belt. Not the usual obnoxious constant LOUD beeping to nag me to belt up, but an outright arms crossed, pouty faced "Im not moving" tantrum. Sure enough the brake would not release until I put it back in park, fastened the seatbelt, and then put it back in drive. Even pushing the release button didnt work. All to move 20' in a parking lot to move to another pump.

Ridiculous.

My opinion of this car just tanked.
    Automakers have to save us from ourselves!

I love the auto parking break on my Ram, which engages anytime I put it in park. But, I absolutely hate that I can't open the damn door with it in gear or it'll put itself into park.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Hopefully I can nurse our current one a good long while.

:noway::noway:
    I think there is a second company that will make that nearly impossible. Your insurance company will not insure your old car/minivan/truck. Without insurance you should not drive it and can not plate it in many states. Not that it stops all people from doing such.

State Farm will not insure Hyundai and Kia models with the key issue. What used to be called classic car insurance now limits mileage to 3k and under. I am not into insurance but yes I see it coming. “We no longer insure and vehicle made prior to 2014”.

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    Speaking of safety features my wife recently got Honda Passport because she wanted something with more safety features. A couple of days ago we were going to our granddaughters volleyball game on the way there she was talking out all of the things this Honda did, all of the bells and warning alarms. As we were parking at the high school parking shot she hit the curb with the left front tire. When we got out I pointed out the nice scuff on her nice new black aluminum rim. I said, you would have thought the alarm should have sounded warning you before you hit that curb.
    Well, the good news is the swelling in my right eye is starting to go down and the bruising is almost gone.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    That is the tech I was thinking of, but it could be applied much more widely....god forbid.

[ETA]

Our minivan has adaptive cruise control, which I love, and lane-keep assist, which I don't. It doesn't have the eye/vision tracking, but it aggressively wants me to keep a hand on the wheel...even when I have a hand on the wheel. If you are going straight down a decent road and not putting in steering inputs regularly because you don't have to, it will alarm. I suspect that most of this tech is not quite ready for prime time, especially as it ages.
    Yep, love the adaptive cruise control.

Lane Keep Assist is just that, it's not steering the vehicle. It's a nanny feature.

Grab a high end GM (pickup or SUV) and try out Super Cruise on a test drive. It's full self steering and stop-and-go, if the vehicle in front of you comes to a complete stop. It won't stop for red lights or stop signs.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yep, love the adaptive cruise control.

Lane Keep Assist is just that, it's not steering the vehicle. It's a nanny feature.

Grab a high end GM (pickup or SUV) and try out Super Cruise on a test drive. It's full self steering and stop-and-go, if the vehicle in front of you comes to a complete stop. It won't stop for red lights or stop signs.
    I have a love hate relationship with adaptive. If you arent paying very close attention, you'll slow down before you realize it.

Used it extensively from Nashville to indy today. It was nice having it slow down as necessary and then automatically speeding back up when it can. (set for 80 in a 70)

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I have a love hate relationship with adaptive. If you arent paying very close attention, you'll slow down before you realize it.

Used it extensively from Nashville to indy today. It was nice having it slow down as necessary and then automatically speeding back up when it can. (set for 80 in a 70)
    I had it on a Nissan rental years ago and hated it for that reason.

Then I had it on my last company car and last two personal trucks. Absolutely love it. Didn't realize how much so until I got my new company ride and it's gone...

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    My wife drives a Honda Pilot. We were on vacation in Tennessee and had a flat. Put on the doughnut spare and started driving to a tire shop nearby. That thing lost it's mind. Traction control alarm. ABS alarm. TMPS warning. I'm surprised it would even run.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    But I’m sure it will let you text to your heart’s desire while completely ignoring traffic, so it’s got that going for it.
    We allowed makeup to be applied and fiddling with the radio and climate control along with eating for decades. No reason to lay the law down on phones.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ...Your insurance company will not insure your old car/minivan/truck. Without insurance you should not drive it and can not plate it in many states. ...

State Farm will not insure Hyundai and Kia models with the key issue. What used to be called classic car insurance now limits mileage to 3k and under. I am not into insurance but yes I see it coming. “We no longer insure and vehicle made prior to 2014”.

I have 3 vehicles 2006 and older. All insured. No issues. :dunno:

Top Bottom