• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    I picked up a 9mm Shield about two weeks ago. I have put nearly 175 rounds of Speer Gold Dot through it. Feels good in my hand and fires accurately.

Today was the second time out and I fired 75 rounds of Gold Dots. Had two failure to feeds, and two failure to reach battery. The failure to feed had the hollow point hanging on the feed ramp. The failure to reach battery had one from a sling shot loading, possibly my fault as I have a weak left hand, the other was from loading using the slide release.

I'm unsure if it is an ammo related issue or perhaps a magazine problem. The feed ramp does have a sharp edge, but no burrs. Either way I am disappointed in the Shield.

Has anyone else had problems? Does your Shield have a sharp edge to the feed ramp?

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Don't have a Shield, however I have had similar problems with some JHPs in my 1911. Polished up the edge of the feed ramps and that solved it. It can't hurt to polish off the sharpness and take her back out to verify. Check how it feels hand cycling the rounds before and after to see if it made a difference (due so pointing the gun in a safe direction/place ofcourse).

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I just got rid of my 9mm for a .40 S&W, but I have not noticed a sharp edge on either feed ramp. I've not had any issues with failures of any kind, either. I hope you get it figured out.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Has anyone else had problems? Does your Shield have a sharp edge to the feed ramp?

Since none of us mere mortals can get our hands on one of these, you my friend are on the leading edge of learning.

Maybe the Goon's recommendation will help. Also, a call to Smith&Wesson Tech Support is in order...

Let us know the outcome.

RTM15

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    OWGEM...Thanks for the info. I have been looking at one and thought they were great. I might stick to my Glock 26

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    Since none of us mere mortals can get our hands on one of these, you my friend are on the leading edge of learning.

Maybe the Goon's recommendation will help. Also, a call to Smith&Wesson Tech Support is in order...

Let us know the outcome.

Called S&W today. Thier only suggestion was to try different ammo, ie Hornady 135 gr. Otherwise return for repair. They are sending a return postage via email that is good for 10 days. If I have not figured it out I will return it.

lobowind

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    West of Indy
    OWGEM...Thanks for the info. I have been looking at one and thought they were great. I might stick to my Glock 26

Looking at one? You've actually seen one in person? Do you mind sharing where or what establishment has this "mythical" pistol? (still trying to actually find and handle one, but they don't seem to exist)

GTM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    Bloomington +/- 20 miles
    I picked up a 9mm Shield about two weeks ago. I have put nearly 175 rounds of Speer Gold Dot through it. Feels good in my hand and fires accurately.

Today was the second time out and I fired 75 rounds of Gold Dots. Had two failure to feeds, and two failure to reach battery. The failure to feed had the hollow point hanging on the feed ramp. The failure to reach battery had one from a sling shot loading, possibly my fault as I have a weak left hand, the other was from loading using the slide release.

I'm unsure if it is an ammo related issue or perhaps a magazine problem. The feed ramp does have a sharp edge, but no burrs. Either way I am disappointed in the Shield.

Yeah, Shields are crap. If I were you I'd get rid of it. How much do you want for it?

woody24

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Westfield
    Why is this gun so hard to get a hold of? I haven't been looking for one, but see a few posts here and there about it on INGO.

Is it because its so new, and they haven't ramped up production of it yet? After looking online about this gun, this seems to be one that I wouldn't mind having now instead of the Nano.

Gun Broker seems to have a couple for about $550. But see the MSRP is in the $400. Guessing thats why people aren't buying them yet?

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Que let me shoot his 40 cal Shield yesterday eve, It was a shooter for sure. I liked it!!! Hope you get it figured out.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I think this is the first time I've heard of anyone having a problem with the Shield. Honestly, the sights are CRAP and if anyone is going to use it for EDC, they will need to be replaced. I looked at the S&W website for sights and the dealers initally priced them at about $40, but when I went to the dealer's website, they are listed at $89!

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    Update. I have polished the feed ramp and fired another 300 rounds with no problems. I believe the problem has been fixed and deem the Shield EDC ready. Shoots well also!

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Update. I have polished the feed ramp and fired another 300 rounds with no problems. I believe the problem has been fixed and deem the Shield EDC ready. Shoots well also!

Don't forget back in the day there was a suggested 200-300 round "break in" period on autos. Also the Gold Dot has one of the larger openings of JHP design's. If it starts acting up try a different JHP and see what happens.

Good Luck

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar

Unfortunately manufacturers tend to melonite everything that is inside a new small weapon. This is a mistake. It is best to polish the feed ramp on any weapon that has been coated.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    I was lucky enough to get one and I love mine. I admit I haven't put many rounds through it yet but no problems so far, I'm also carrying Gold Dot's in mine.

Top Bottom