• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I'm looking at getting a revoler finally. I was wondering the safety of carry a model 36 S&W. This is an older model. The pin is fixed to the hammer. Does the fact that it's DA/SA make it safe to carry with all 5 rounds loaded?

There is no transfer bar but I thought I read on INGO that any revolver made after the early 1900's was safe to carry andis "drop safe"

Thanks for your answers in advance.

The other gun I'm looking at is a Tuarus .357 which does have a transfer bar so I know the story there.

Last edited:

Milsurp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Indy
    You should be good to go with all chambers loaded. I carry an old mod 60 with the firing pin on the hammer. You can try pushing forward on the hammer but the pin won't reach the primer.

Great username and sigline btw.

Last edited:

thomjb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 31, 2009
    Southern IN
    As I recall only the "pre 1900" Single action Colts and similar models (certain new reproductions also) were carried on an empty cylinder. I had a 36 and have a 60 and a 442 and safety is no issue with 5 in the cylinder.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    I had a model 36, and so what the firing pin is on the hammer. There is a "safety bar" inside of the frame on the J, K, L, and N frames that moves with the rebound slide that prevents the firing pin from striking the primer unless the trigger is pulled.

There is no issue with safety. Besides, safety lies between the ears and not the hands. Remember Rule Three (keep your finger off the trigger until the sights are aligned on target) and all will be well.

Top Bottom