• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jawbone

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    East Central Indiana
    I'm looking at getting either the S&W Bodyguard 38 Special or the Ruger LCR 38 Special. I would sure like some pros and cons of both guns. It will be a CCW for my wife to carry in a jacket pocket or for me in an ankle holster when it's hot and I don't have a shirt on to conceal the Glock 27 I usually carry. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

col132

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2010
    I have really tried to like the S&W. I don't care for the location of the laser, but thought I could live with it. I would really prefer that they didn't put the "built in" laser on it at all. Then, on two examples I handled, I found that occassionally, when pulling the trigger, the cylinder would not rotate. On the second pull, it would rotate into position. I have been carrying variations of the J frame Smith since the late 70's and I have never seen this on a new gun. It was enough of a concern for me that I backed off the gun. Smith is going to have to get this corrected before I take the gun seriously.

I have no experience with the Ruger at all, but everything I have "heard" is that it is a good gun.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Ruger = comfortable and functional grip, multiple sight options (standard, Big Dot or CTC laser) available, and a good reliability record with end users.

S&W = skinny non-changeable grip, funky cylinder release, permanently attached laser that you might not want, and unproven reliability record (relatively new product).

Ruger gets my vote.

Jawbone

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    East Central Indiana
    I've heard of a few people now that are having problems with the cylinder advancing. Does anybody else on here have the same problem or any info about the cylinder not advancing. Thanks

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Not sure how valuable the laser is as I have never used one, but the old S&W 49 is one of the best carry 38s made.:)

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I looked at both before buying the LCR, didn't like the grip on the S&W or the cylinder release, trigger on the LCR is much nicer then any other snubby I've shot

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I carry the smith as a bug. I have not experianced the non turning issue myself. I as well dont really like the laser, but I like the grip a lot. Smooth, not rubbery for easy draw from the appendix position or a pocket.

Whichever you get, I reccomend a clip holster like the suede Bianchi that i use, its very nice to have it iwb one moment, then transfer to a pocket, or clipped onto the pocket for very quick non co cealed access.

It just occured to me what causes the revolver not to turn, and why i never experianced it.

The star that engages the cyl, has to be engaged for it to spin. If you open the cyl, and then close it without turning it to engage the star, you will get the condition described above. Basically it will turn till it engages, then it would require another trigger pull.

The reason I have never experianced this, is when i do my reload i always turn the cylender till it clicks, rolling it off my palm.

But i just messed with it and yeah, i see how it could happen if you didnt turn the cyl after the reload.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I looked at both the S&W Airlite Revolvers and the Ruger LCR in .38+P, for a long time. I finally chose the Ruger LCR as it had the better sight options and comes with the Hogue Tamer Grip direct from the factory! Mine sports a Tritium front night sight from XS Sights! It's very accurate and simple to use! The only reason I would trade or sell this gun would be to upgrade from the .38+P to the .357mag. I don't waist time with lasers or stuff like that...it makes you slow and presents yourself as a target!

Given the choices you offered...I would recommend the Ruger LCR!!!

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Get the Ruger

I am guessing this is for a small girl or petite female of some sort.

A man would buy the LCR in .357 Magnum.

Of course, he would secretly only shoot .38s (Hee Hee).

In all seriousness, get the Ruger LCR. One of the finest snubbies ever made!

Vanguard.45

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    The Ruger LCR is a great choice.

I own the LCR (Love it) and have only handled the BodyGuard, but the opinion I formed was that the S&W seemed to be a rushed job to catch up to Ruger.

mojo2530

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Cedar Lake
    I bought the LCR in 357 and i love it! i like the grip, trigger , its an all around good gun. never handeld th body gaurd but would definetly recomend the LCR!

silkpoet

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 6, 2010
    SW Indiana
    In a carry gun I never really see the reason for a laser. Any encounter will likely be very close up; let's face it, if you are shooting someone at range, you are probably going to have problems defending your action. I got my wife a SW 642 with a completely enclosed hammer. Best of luck!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My S&W 442 got retired immediately after I test fired a Ruger LCR. Both are reliable, rugged , and accurate. However, the LCR hurts a lot less to shoot, which is what seals the deal for me.

Curiously, LCRs also have really good triggers. Better than the S&W guns, in fact, unless you get a trigger job done on them.

nick112785

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2010
    I just got a kel tec pta3 and fired it for the first time yesterday. I was very impressed to say the least. I would recommend it to anyone who is looking to buy handgun for their wife.

Top Bottom