• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hdchaplain

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I realize this question may have been asked already but I wasn't having much luck searching, so here goes. Does anyone have anything to say about S&W's version of the AR? First time buyer and on a budget so just looking for input from real users for feedback. :ar15:

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I have one, they are nice. Mine came with a flip-up rear sight made by Troy.
    I have never had a single malfunction of any kind.
    Nice fit and finish, I'm not sure which one you are looking at, they make an "entry level" AR without a forward assist and dust cover, I don't know much about that one, if that is the one you are considering.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I own a snw and a windham and I highly recommend both. Don't go with the cheapest snw. If your around $650 go with a delton if your in the 8-9 windham and them the 1000 range can get your pretty far

hdchaplain

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I thank you for the responses. I would like to stay in the under $700 range if possible. I don't have to have a S&W as I am open to whatever in my price range.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    In your price range I would buy a PSA. I would stay away from "optics ready carbines" or AR's without a dust cover or forward assist, those 2 items aren't really that big of deal, but I always like to buy things that will re-sell easier than others. No dust cover, no forward assist= harder too sell if you want/need to get rid of it.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I bought one for my Son and my Daughter Bought on for my Son in Law. They are very nice and run and run and run. I have used Colt, FN and some I can't even remember the make of on the work side and I would recommend S&W over just about all of them. If I hadn't already had my personal Rock River I'd get a S&W M&P15 for myself!

E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Just recently bought the S&W Sport. Great rifle! Got it for 670+tax. Shoots great, I dont think I would have any problem reselling, but then I don't buy them to resell.

marsell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    I have been told I can build one from parts much cheaper, but I am not so sure about that.

You should be. Do what I did on my first. Buy a stripped lower when they get discounted. Basically any stripped lower will suffice, I bought an SAA for $65. Buy a lower parts kit and whatever furniture that you would like and grab a complete upper from PSA or SAA. It would be within reason to get a lower for $80 without looking very hard, an LPK with buttstock for under $150, and a complete upper for $400. Peruse the internet and you can find detailed directions on assembling your lower and its pretty satisfying doing so.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You should be. Do what I did on my first. Buy a stripped lower when they get discounted. Basically any stripped lower will suffice, I bought an SAA for $65. Buy a lower parts kit and whatever furniture that you would like and grab a complete upper from PSA or SAA. It would be within reason to get a lower for $80 without looking very hard, an LPK with buttstock for under $150, and a complete upper for $400. Peruse the internet and you can find detailed directions on assembling your lower and its pretty satisfying doing so.

This is possible but you are assembling a group of low-ball parts. As with anything built by man it is a marriage of those parts and the success of that relationship rely's on the fit/finish and spec of those parts. A low budget gun such as you describe might run just fine. I have seen them be utter failures. If one thinks this is the way to go on the first AR then go for it. For a few more dollars a factory fit piece and a warranty are available. Used guns are around for decent prices if you look. JMHO

EDIT....there is the satisfaction you get from building a gun. That is hard to put a price on.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I've built one AR, it was satisfying, but to do it on the cheap, you have to be on-line all the time, and be the first with an "I'll take it" to get your parts cheap. In that price range I would buy a PSA, they build a really good rifle for the money. As far as the comment about not buying to re-sell, I don't buy to re-sell either, but I do keep in mind when buying "if I have to re-sell this for some reason, how easy will it be?"
    That is one reason to buy common calibers, and black guns, they sell quicker if you need to.

E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    As far as the comment about not buying to re-sell, I don't buy to re-sell either, but I do keep in mind when buying "if I have to re-sell this for some reason, how easy will it be?"
    That is one reason to buy common calibers, and black guns, they sell quicker if you need to.

That's all well and good. If that's what you do. Me, I have never thought "Will this sell easily if I need to?" I buy guns cuz I likes'em. If it doesn't conform with everyone's else idea of a particular firearm, so be it. I've paid above the going price of a firearm just because I wanted it. I've also bought because of the low price, such as the S&W Sport. My first AR, didn't want to spend as much as some, most of them sell for. Personally I don't see the need of the dust cover, or the forward assist, unless I was in the military. Those parts are just a "cool factor" IMO, for us weekend shooters.

hdchaplain

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I guess I will try to be patient and continue to search. I appreciate all the feedback. I must say though, that a lot of the suggestions for parts and complete rifles are listed on the companies websites as "out of stock"

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I guess I will try to be patient and continue to search. I appreciate all the feedback. I must say though, that a lot of the suggestions for parts and complete rifles are listed on the companies websites as "out of stock"

A lot of folks are jumping on the black gun band wagon and going for the cheapest way into the game. I am building one right now but it will be #4 so no big hurry. I have most everything "In stock".......:D

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Depending on how you want your rifle configured, I wouldn't say it is that much cheaper than buying an entry level AR. The pro of building your own is that you can configure it just the way you want it. If you can find one that is exactly what you want from S&W or other manufacture then go for it. I have 2 AR's built from the ground up and used parts from a couple manufactures to get the best price. Both have run flawlessly with a variety of ammo.

My advice is do alot of research and figure out how you want your rifle to be configured and price it both ways. Don't forget to add the cost of tools in your build if you don't have all of them.

Enjoy and welcome to the Dark Side!:D

himant

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    i know i did a lot of research and bought the 15-22,was the closest to the "real" ar platform, never heard anything bad about there 223 versions either..

Top Bottom