• ...and so much more!
  • 1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Gander Mt online has 6946's for sale at 269 with 1 mag and no box. I guess there is a coupon code to bring it down to 229, so figure 269 with tax and ship.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I'm just seeing the $350 6946's with the $269 ones noted as "sold out"?

Yeah I seen the ad either yesterday or the day before in the NWI thread and forgot to post here. I'm sure you can find a coupon code and make that 350 cheaper. That's how I got my 5946 I found a $30 off coupon which paid the shipping and a little bit of the tax so I could still pay about $369.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    Someone posted these up on FALfiles the other day and I jumped on one. Plan to drive to M'ville Friday to pick it up.

Yes, the coupon dropped the price to $229, but then they charge you $25 to ship it to their own store which seems weird. Then adding the tax drives it up to $272 and change. Still pretty good. I've already got several 6946's I've picked up from GB over the last couple of years but with shipping and transfer fees they're usually pushing $400. (I did try to bump the order up to two pistols hoping for a break on the shipping, but no dice. $50 to ship two, so I settled for just the one)

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    Winner, winner,...chicken dinner!

I almost never order a gun based on a stock photo or representative sample, but in this case the all up price was good enough to take a chance. My only hope was that the pistol I received would be almost as good as the one pictured. Not this time. It's much better! Almost no edge wear on the high spots and even the plastic grips are excellent. Unlike almost every other LEO trade-in I've bought the internals are also clean. Not spotless,......more like a perfectly clean gun that's had a mag run through it for function check. The only thing that makes it not show as VG+ is some tape residue on the grip that looks a little tacky. In fact, it IS a little tacky. I'mma gunna clean that off and be happy. Great deal,....shows SOLD OUT now or I'd do another one.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Winner, winner,...chicken dinner!

I almost never order a gun based on a stock photo or representative sample, but in this case the all up price was good enough to take a chance. My only hope was that the pistol I received would be almost as good as the one pictured. Not this time. It's much better! Almost no edge wear on the high spots and even the plastic grips are excellent. Unlike almost every other LEO trade-in I've bought the internals are also clean. Not spotless,......more like a perfectly clean gun that's had a mag run through it for function check. The only thing that makes it not show as VG+ is some tape residue on the grip that looks a little tacky. In fact, it IS a little tacky. I'mma gunna clean that off and be happy. Great deal,....shows SOLD OUT now or I'd do another one.

Even if the grip stocks don't clean up, you can still get new ones, or (my preference) get a set of Hogue's.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Seen over on the S&W Forum that Midway was having a sale on 3rd gen Mags of 25%. As I was looking at the parts I seen they had a 4506-1 barrel available for once. I jumped on that deal and as soon as I placed my order they were sold out no back order.

I also got the Laser Device Inc BA-2 installed on my 5903. Works good for a laser made in 1991. The adjustment screws are a bit off, but I should have it where it needs to be will find out Sunday at the range.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Finally found a low round count 3913 and it wasn't 15 minutes from my house! Came with three mags; Hogue and the unused original plastic grips. He said the gun only has been fired 16 times. While I won't attest to that; it sure looks unfired and not a single scratch.

I thought I remembered how much I liked the 3913 but, boy, do I really like that gun.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Finally found a low round count 3913 and it wasn't 15 minutes from my house! Came with three mags; Hogue and the unused original plastic grips. He said the gun only has been fired 16 times. While I won't attest to that; it sure looks unfired and not a single scratch.

I thought I remembered how much I liked the 3913 but, boy, do I really like that gun.

I'll give ya $3.50

kscessnadriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2017
    Albion
    I bought a 6946 a few weeks back and was very surprised by how much I like the thing. Just ordered a NIB 3953TSW tonight, we will see how it is when it comes in.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Anyone know of a good gunsmith who can fit a wide hood barrel to become a narrow hood barrel. I got my 4506 barrel yesterday and it is a wide hood where what I have now is a narrow hood.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Anyone know of a good gunsmith who can fit a wide hood barrel to become a narrow hood barrel. I got my 4506 barrel yesterday and it is a wide hood where what I have now is a narrow hood.

Its really not worth having the work completed. I'll just give you $3.50 for the gun and barrel?

Can't help on the gunsmith though; mine closed up and retired years ago. If you've got a narrow for measurement; a good local machine shop should be able to machine it? Guess I'm making the assumption that is the only difference? Other machining changes on the slide?

Last edited:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola

I'd call AllenM. He has the machining capabilities and some serious skill. I'd think you can just ship him both barrels and he could do it.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Its really not worth having the work completed. I'll just give you $3.50 for the gun and barrel?

Can't help on the gunsmith though; mine closed up and retired years ago. If you've got a narrow for measurement; a good local machine shop should be able to machine it? Guess I'm making the assumption that is the only difference? Other machining changes on the slide?
    Both barrels fit in the frame slot with no slop, so I should have no problem there. Just need to get the wide to fit my narrow slot in the slide. According to S&W my 4506-1 was made in 1992 and according to the folks on S&W forum the wide hood was the later -1, where as the narrow were the no dash. I'm guessing when they made mine they used up the old slides from the no dash before completely changing over.

I'd call AllenM. He has the machining capabilities and some serious skill. I'd think you can just ship him both barrels and he could do it.

I will keep that in mind. I will see if this place Cross Saber which is fairly close can do it, and if not will shoot him a message.

On a related S&W note. I have been looking at S&W model 33's, S&W British Service revolvers, and S&W 38 Regulation Police. I bought a H&R 38 S&W in relatively great shape for $50 bucks early this year and have taken a liking to the 38S&W. I'd rather not wear it out since it is fairly old, so time to go on the hunt. In my reloading manual with Titegroup and 160gr cast I'm looking at a range of 1.9 to 2.2 gr of powder.

smasherofall

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Hi, I've been lurking around this thread because I'm a big fan of the old Smiths. I saw where Gander had the 6946's and was able to order one monday, was pretty excited they were only $299 plus $25 shipping and got another $20 off coupon. I went to pick it up yesturday, total bummer!! It looked like it had been literally dragged behind a truck!! The rubber grip was so wore out that you coundn't even see the logo anymore. At least they gave me a complete refund, the guy behind the counter was very apologetic, he hadn't seen one that bad.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Hi, I've been lurking around this thread because I'm a big fan of the old Smiths. I saw where Gander had the 6946's and was able to order one monday, was pretty excited they were only $299 plus $25 shipping and got another $20 off coupon. I went to pick it up yesturday, total bummer!! It looked like it had been literally dragged behind a truck!! The rubber grip was so wore out that you coundn't even see the logo anymore. At least they gave me a complete refund, the guy behind the counter was very apologetic, he hadn't seen one that bad.

Yeah the trade in's or special prices are a crapshoot. I'd rather go to cdisales on Gb and look at the S&W's they have and buy. Though when I got my 5946 from gander from online it was in great shape.

Top Bottom