• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So as long as the government is killing innocents, non-combatants that work for that government are fair game. It doesn't even matter if the assassin is state sponsored or just an individual who decided that it's justified.

Maybe think on that a bit.

Is the logic above actually less offending, than the logic that justified the dropping of the atomic bomb?

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    So as long as the government is killing innocents, non-combatants that work for that government are fair game.

Maybe think on that a bit.

I hear you, but we're also talking about a group of people who are out of options. They have no allies willing to commit forces. They do not receive aid. They're caught between acquiescing to the despot they rebelled from in the first place, and one of the mightiest militaries in the world.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Is the logic above actually less offending, than the logic that justified the dropping of the atomic bomb?

One murder is insignificant next to the holocaust. We don't really care when dealing with a murder. So, I guess you can start a new debate on the atomic bomb if you like but it's irrelevant to this conversation.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I hear you, but we're also talking about a group of people who are out of options. They have no allies willing to commit forces. They do not receive aid. They're caught between acquiescing to the despot they rebelled from in the first place, and one of the mightiest militaries in the world.
    How many innocents killed does it take to justify attacks on non-combatants, if you have no allies and are facing one of the mightiest militaries in the world?

If it doesn't matter if it's a the action of a state or an individual, I'm ethically cool if I drive to the Russian embassy and start picking off employees? They are fair game, or I have to be Syrian?

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

If they rebelled, then they are simply combatants on the losing side. Not innocents. (Although innocents die in every conflict) They can surrender, or they can fight to the death. No side ever won a conflict by terrorism against non-combatants.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    How many innocents killed does it take to justify attacks on non-combatants, if you have no allies and are facing one of the mightiest militaries in the world?

If it doesn't matter if it's a the action of a state or an individual, I'm ethically cool if I drive to the Russian embassy and start picking off employees? They are fair game, or I have to be Syrian?

I think you'd have a difficult case calling the ambassador, a guy who presents Russia's policy in the region, as being an innocent. We're not talking about the poor schlep running mail at an embassy, but a guy who actually has a hand in policy towards how the Russia behaves in the region.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    I guess he takes it personal when it's somebody else doing the assassinating. As far as I'm concerned the ambassador was fair game.

Who did the Russians assasinate? It's real question I don't know what you are talking about.

I know they have been doing mass bombings in Syria, but I assume that is not what you're referencing.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    If they rebelled, then they are simply combatants on the losing side. Not innocents. (Although innocents die in every conflict) They can surrender, or they can fight to the death. No side ever won a conflict by terrorism against non-combatants.

The combatants are not innocent. Thing is, their wives and kids are the ones dying in the gas. Actually, a lot of folks have won conflicts while using terrorism against non-combatants. The Viet Cong did ok for themselves. But we aren't talking terrorism, this guy is the agent of the Russian State.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville

I guess they should just lie back and let the Russians kill their families, then.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    The combatants are not innocent. Thing is, their wives and kids are the ones dying in the gas. Actually, a lot of folks have won conflicts while using terrorism against non-combatants. The Viet Cong did ok for themselves. But we aren't talking terrorism, this guy is the agent of the Russian State.

I guess I should have clarified. You can't win a conflict against a determined enemy with terrorism. I wouldn't call us "determined" when it came to the Vietnam conflict. (Politically speaking)
    This guy was an ambassador. He was not a combatant. Legitimate states do not assassinate diplomats from other states.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I guess they should just lie back and let the Russians kill their families, then.

Losing a war sucks. The way I see it, they can flee, fight or surrender. That's it.

What can they hope to gain by assassinating a Russian diplomat?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

The assassination of the Russian ambassador to Turkey saves Syrian families by ___________ .

Help me understand the new argument of why killing a non-combatant is ok by filling in the blank.

I think you'd have a difficult case calling the ambassador, a guy who presents Russia's policy in the region, as being an innocent. We're not talking about the poor schlep running mail at an embassy, but a guy who actually has a hand in policy towards how the Russia behaves in the region.

You misunderstand the question. How many innocents must a government kill before I can take it upon myself to target non-combatants and be ethically justified in your world?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The assassination of the Russian ambassador to Turkey saves Syrian families by ___________ .

Help me understand the new argument of why killing a non-combatant is ok by filling in the blank.

You misunderstand the question. How many innocents must a government kill before I can take it upon myself to target non-combatants and be ethically justified in your world?

Im curious too. And to put a finer point on it, if non combatants are fair game, where is the line? When is it NOT OK to shoot them because they are just a drone/worker bee? Ambassador seems OK from what I have gleaned. Embassy staff? Cabinet ministers? (equivalent to congress/senate/etc) govt ministers? Their assistants/clerical? Support staff? Capitol grounds maintenance worker? Govt school teachers? Road crews?

If you dont give a free pass to ambassadors, how do you expect to maintain relations/communications? You cant exactly negotiate if the opponent can whip out a gun and blow away your civilian representative that has the sole task of interfacing with the other side. Thats just not productive.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Yeah I am confused too. Seems we are saying terrorism is justified or something as an act of war....

But it's late and I may not be understanding

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Yeah I am confused too. Seems we are saying terrorism is justified or something as an act of war....

Well, he's a big fan of BLM and their own brand of domestic terrorism.... so it's not much of a stretch.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

If we are calling this assassination terrorism, then I completely believe terrorism is justified as an act of war.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom