Russia vs Ukraine anyone watching this ignite?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    No-fly zone… All the ones I remember, we had established air supremacy when they went into place.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    No-fly zone… All the ones I remember, we had established air supremacy when they went into place.
    Yep, it means sending in the USAF and or US Naval Aviation to clean house, and actively patrol it.
    While I believe ether would wipe the floor with anything in the area that would violate a no fly zone.. it wont be like it was in Kosovo or Iraq..
    Drones from both sides are everywhere, there are cruise missiles being launched at Ukraine from inside Russia, and ballistic missiles.

Plus if we did it, well it would start a Urainum,Plutonium, and Hydrogen tossing contest..... well it could anyway.

Id rather send them a bunch of Patriot missile batteries and let the Ukrainians run those..

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The way the Russians are getting embarrassed by the Ukrainians, it wouldn't appear that an invasion of other countries will be coming in the near future. On the other hand as unhinged as Vlad seems to be, I would not be surprised if he starts nuking stuff. I heard on FNC this morning that it appears he is intentionally targeting kindergartens.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Your probably referencing that in the fact it's turned into a quagmire.

It is that, and the Iran Iraq 1980-1988 was was a quagmire, but a conventional force on force one with front lines. Iraq invaded with ground troops, and after the initial movements it stalled, and went static.

Vietnam was largely an Counter Insurgency action until we left and the NVA moved in in the mid 70s.

If you want a US parallel. Think the Korean war after the Chinese joined.
    Nope, I'm mainly referencing the " ... expending an insane amount of men and material.." part, which is becoming the hallmark of all our wars since The Two

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    FN84OusWUAUHztQ

Ahh terrain.
    EVERY generation thinks they know better, has better equipment/tactics, and can ignore terrain.

And guess what.
    Thousands of years later, you STILL need to take terrain into your consideration.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    While I know noting about the training required to run a Patriot battery, those seem like they would make a pretty effective no fly zone from the ground.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    While I know noting about the training required to run a Patriot battery, those seem like they would make a pretty effective no fly zone from the ground.
    They have a newer, longer range system called the THAAD. Those things can really reach out. I believe they are capable of hitting even Satellites and ICBM’s. I think it stands for Theater High Altitude Air Defense.

Edit: after some research it looks like THAAD is designed to shoot down missiles and not necessarily aircraft.

Last edited:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Yep, it means sending in the USAF and or US Naval Aviation to clean house, and actively patrol it.
    While I believe ether would wipe the floor with anything in the area that would violate a no fly zone.. it wont be like it was in Kosovo or Iraq..
    Drones from both sides are everywhere, there are cruise missiles being launched at Ukraine from inside Russia, and ballistic missiles.

Plus if we did it, well it would start a Urainum,Plutonium, and Hydrogen tossing contest..... well it could anyway.

Id rather send them a bunch of Patriot missile batteries and let the Ukrainians run those..
    Man I don't know what the hell the Russians would do if F35s and F22s showed up over Ukraine, popping anything with wings and dropping HARMs on any Russian band radar that happens to be switched on. Their air ops are limited as it is, would they really shoot it out with American planes to keep the ability to fly? Or would they yield the air and live with getting rained on by Ukrainian drones?

I have no freaking idea and I don't want to find out.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom