• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...attempting to develop an oversimplified metaphorical "big boy rule" favored by many heroes and professionals, they can instruct in specifics which require very little explanation and afford no excuses for violation.

There we go, the big boy rules. An excuse to point guns at ourselves and others. :rolleyes:

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    If you always point a gun in a safe direction, always keep your finger off the trigger till ready to shoot, and always keep your gun unloaded till ready to use, then you won't hurt yourself or others accidentally. It's not ****ing rocket science, but then again, people are dumb ****s and love to break RULES.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...the reference was to Cooper's #1 only - it's the one you fancy yourself defending.

I'm not defending anything. I follow the Four Rules of Firearms Safety.

Apparently it's you defending your failure to follow these established rules.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I can't wait till 10 years from now when you guys are on here defending a completely different set of rules. "But, muh rules!"

You don't have to. Everyone has already changed the four rules INCLUDING the people that still attribute the rules to Jeff Cooper. That right there says all you need to know.

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg

You pick up your gun, drop the mag, cycle the slide, lock the slide back, and double check to make sure the gun is clear. You then proceed to clean the gun. Do you ever look down the barrel to see if you have cleaned everything properly? Or do you ever place your hand or part of a finger over the muzzle for any reason?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You pick up your gun, drop the mag, cycle the slide, lock the slide back, and double check to make sure the gun is clear. You then proceed to clean the gun. Do you ever look down the barrel to see if you have cleaned everything properly? Or do you ever place your hand or part of a finger over the muzzle for any reason?

A disassembled gun is safe to inspect from any angle. It's just metal parts, it becomes a gun when assembled.

Of course you don't put your hand in front of the muzzle, that's just foolish. That's Rule #2 though... ;)

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

I follow the only 3 of those 4 which can be followed, the ones which are actually safe gun handling rules.

I won't adopt or teach that first thing Cooper came up with as everyone knows it's absurd. Even those who claim to have adopted it tend to change it arbitrarily to suit their own cognitive reality and frequently dismiss the other 3 when they can't.

Here's a stumper for ya: If I am violating your #1 but practicing the other 3, how could you tell? Would My failure to believe a gun loaded really be a failure if I keep guns pointed in a safe direction and keep my finger off the trigger until ready to shoot?

Doesn't sound like a needed or even a sensible rule to me if you can't identify or offer correction for what I'm doing wrong when I break it.

Get back to me if you come up with anything on that.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    National association of Gun RIghts. Yup, 4 rules.
    20153-custom-bumper-magnet-sticker-Think+for+yourself.++Question+authority..png

SubicWarrior1988

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    central
    This guy gets it, he's an NRA instructor as well, and yes, a 4 rules advocate.

[video=youtube;_p8UzPah4PA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p8UzPah4PA[/video]

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I know, I know, every excuse to not follow the established rules. Break it down, tear it up with silly semantics, whine about it all.

No way some old guy who was responsible for pretty much all modern day firearms instruction practices could still be right in a sea of geniuses like us.
    ;)

Question safety, it's "big boy rules."
    :rolleyes:

Top Bottom