• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Gunny and TEAM GLOCK rockin' the 4 rules.
    You seem to be on this kick whereby you want to be associated with the cool kids. I will continue to promote a better set of rules over tradition, legendary status and coolness.

And by associating Glock with the Four Rules, you've probably driven more away from the Four Rules. :laugh:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    But as we've read in this thread it doesn't. Go back and count the posts where INGO'ers say, "all guns are always loaded; so I check and unload it myself, then I do what I want because it's safe at that point."

That, right there, is Beard Logic.

Indeed. Treat all guns as if they were loaded until... I verify it is unloaded is all to common.

So after the magical until, once they really really believe it is unloaded, how do they tend to treat them?

Differently.

FAIL.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Are you noticing a trend? Everyone modifies rule #1 to make it make sense...

You've quoted several variations of the rule, and all are attributed to him. Which is problematic.

Why don't you post here what you believe Rule #1 to be (in its entirety).

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Hickock 45? Yup, 4 rules for him as well.

Imagine all the examples of those who practiced and promoted cigarette smoking back when it was deemed more sophisticated and trendy than hazardous.

Seems nearly comical a generation or two later, right?

Nobody is suggesting that the silly notion is not prolifically distributed, simply that it is bunk.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I don't think the videos are making the point that you want them to make...
    IKR? I watched that slick Glock video with with the eye candy right up till Hunky McGlock stuck his pinky in the chamber and pronounced the gun as 'safe', thereby completely contradicting his previous command to treat all guns as if they are loaded.

FAIL.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I've done some research. The closest thing I can find to being the gold standard for the rules is the book The Modern Technique of the Pistol written by Gregory B. Morrison with Jeff Cooper as Contributor.

Here's what the book says:

RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED
    There are no exceptions. Do not pretend that this is true. Some people and organizations take this rule and weaken it;e.g. "Treat all guns as if they were loaded." Unfortunately, the "as if" compromises the directness of the statement by implying that they are unloaded, but we will treat them as though they are loaded. No good! Safety rules must be worded forcefully so that they are never treated lightly or reduced to partial compliance.
    All guns are always loaded - period!
    This must be your mind-set. If someone hands you a firearm and says, "Don't worry, it's not loaded," you do not dare believe him. You need not be impolite, but check it yourself. Remember, there are no accidents, only negligent acts. Check it. Do not let yourself fall prey to a situation where you might feel compelled to squeal, "I didn't know it was loaded!"

Last edited:

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Are you noticing a trend? Everyone modifies rule #1 to make it make sense...

You've quoted several variations of the rule, and all are attributed to him. Which is problematic.

Why don't you post here what you believe Rule #1 to be (in its entirety).

only in TV westerns are all guns always loaded. And even then, there may be a good guy/bad guy qualifier.

What I think the first rule should be:

You are morally responsible for your firearm.
    Ensure it can function as designed.
    Always be certain of its condition and ability to function as a deadly weapon.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    The thread than keeps on giving... Great reading BTW.

The more I think critically about this debate, the less I think of Col. Cooper's Rule #1. It's simply not a rule at all and leaves one wondering what purpose it serves. Certainly this "rule" cannot be "followed" or "broken" because it is entirely non-instructive. That pretty much renders it invalid in my book. Now, if one wants to talk about Rule#1 in terms of philosophy or mindset that works.

As instructors and RSO's we can, through observation, verify our students are following tangible instructions in Rules 2, 3, and 4. But how should one of our students reconcile his or her following my instructions to make their weapon safe and clear only to have not actually unloaded it?

This is simply silliness to a logical, thinking human being.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I've done some research. The closest thing I can find to being the gold standard for the rules is the book The Modern Technique of the Pistol written by Gregory B. Morrison with Jeff Cooper as Contributor.

Here's what the book says:

RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED
    There are no exceptions. Do not pretend that this is true. Some people and organizations take this rule and weaken it;e.g. "Treat all guns as if they were loaded." Unfortunately, the "as if" compromises the directness of the statement by implying that they are unloaded, but we will treat them as though they are loaded. No good! Safety rules must be worded forcefully so that they are never treated lightly or reduced to partial compliance.
    All guns are always loaded - period!
    This must be your mind-set. If someone hands you a firearm and says, "Don't worry, it's not loaded," you do not dare believe him. You need not be impolite, but check it yourself. Remember, there are no accidents, only negligent acts. Check it. Do not let yourself fall prey to a situation where you might feel compelled to squeal, "I didn't know it was loaded!"

Yeah, the problem is not that people trust others who tell them it's unloaded, it's that once they unload or verify for themselves, it is logically impossible to still believe it is loaded.

Is there anyone here willing to admit that they are the person who can't keep an unloaded gun pointed in a safe direction?

Anyone here willing to admit that if they think a gun is unloaded they are somehow compelled to coonfinger the trigger?

What problem does this absurd notion truly address and correct?

SubicWarrior1988

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    central
    Here is an excellent presentation of the four rules from Front Sight Firearms Training Institute.

[video=youtube;C8S4WN82WO4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8S4WN82WO4[/video]

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    It seems that weekly has become the norm.

I had to take a week off so the pent up tension needed to be released.

I'll pistol whip you into a coma next time we get together if you think it will help ...with an inert training pistol, of course. ;)

Top Bottom