• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BurninBrass

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    between a couple cornfields
    Does anyone else own one of these hand cannons? I recently picked one up in a trade. I was curious as to what loads people had the best results with. I am thinking that lighter 240 gr loads would be better in a short barrel than the 300 gr cannonballs. What's everyone elses thoughts?

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I've never fired the 454, but I have an Alaskan in .44 mag, and I love it. The Hougue grips are excellent in absorbing the recoil. I have fired some heavy loads through the .44 without any discomfort, and for such a short barrel, mine is VERY accurate, ridiculously accurate. I have fired everything from 180 gr to 300 through mine, and the 240's seem to be the best, although there is not much noticeable difference between 240's and 300's. I hit a golf ball at 40 yards with 300 grain load, on the second shot I fired at it. My problem now is the noise, even with plugs and ear muffs, I just cant handle all that blast, that close to my head anymore.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    For what purpose? Handloads or factory?

I've not shot the Alaskan (I have a 9.5" SRH .454), but for plinking I'd load up some 255gr LSWC and Trail Boss powder, bullet hardness will need to be what you might use for .45 Colt +P.
    Winchester Super-X has a 250gr XTP "reduced recoil" load, for handloads I'd use something in the range of Unique/Universal for mid-power loads.
    For hot loads, there is too much out there to list, and FWIW I prefer the 300gr bullets over the 240's.

Ruger’s Super Redhawk Alaskan .454 Casull

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Never handled one and I wish I had some load info for you.

BUT, pick up some .45 Colt for some lower cost shooting.

If you hand-load, you can also shoot .45 Schofield in it.

BurninBrass

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    between a couple cornfields
    Thanks for the replies so far. I should have clarified, but I do not currently reload for the 45/454. I haven't owned a 45 Colt caliber for a while but have loaded extensively for the 44 Mag and 44 Special. I would have prefered an Alaskan in 44 but I couldn't pass up the deal on the 454.

So as of now, I will be sticking with factory ammo to feel out the new wheelgun and see what she likes and duplicate with reloads. Just mainly looking for suggestions on where to start since factory ammo isn't exactly cheap. Once setup for reloading, I like cast bullets. I'm looking for loads that will penetrate well without extreme recoil. Any and all suggestions are welcomed!

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I haven't owned a 45 Colt caliber for a while but have loaded extensively for the 44 Mag and 44 Special. I would have prefered an Alaskan in 44 but I couldn't pass up the deal on the 454.

If that were me I'd be looking for a trade -- .454 brass is not cheap.

So as of now, I will be sticking with factory ammo to feel out the new wheelgun and see what she likes and duplicate with reloads. Just mainly looking for suggestions on where to start since factory ammo isn't exactly cheap. Once setup for reloading, I like cast bullets. I'm looking for loads that will penetrate well without extreme recoil. Any and all suggestions are welcomed!

Standard velocity .45 Colt and 255 gr bullets will penetrate lengthwise through a deer, and recoil will be, well, like a .45 Colt.

You could bump it up to Ruger/TC .45 Colt +P levels with 300-325gr bullets and have a great penetrator without going insane with the muzzle blast. And Buffalo Bore is a good place to look for factory heavy .45 Colt. As for powder I recommend No.9 and 2400. Sure you get more velocity from H110/296, but you can't shoot anything but top loads. No.9 and 2400 can be safely reduced 10% from max and 2400 can probably be reduced more. A load of Unique or Universal will still give you a load that a .45 Colt +P will have a hard time matching and might be better suited to the short barrel (this is speculation).

With Factory ammo at $25-$40 a box, I would forget it and just buy the dies instead. Factory 240gr runs about 1725-1825 fps depending on the gun (from a long barrel) and the 300gr stuff runs about 1600fps. as you can see from the link provided the Buffalo Bore heavy .45 Colt did as well if not better than the factory .454 loads. (FWIW my experience with Cor-Bon ammo is that it does not meet factory published velocities).

If you're going to push the limits with lead, you should be looking at gas check bullets.

Try Ruger.com for a couple decent holsters.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I prefer 45 lc ammo in my 454 SRH to the 454 stuff. The SRH is fussy about rifle primers prefering Remingtons or Federals to CCI. No such issues when I use 45 lc brass.:)

jrc2979

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    galco makes an amazing belt/hoslter for this perticular handgun. My friend has them both, and good job on finding one in trade. I have been looking all over for one.....I can buy the 44 all day long, but no luck at all with the 454. Any help finding one would be awesome. Thank you

Top Bottom