• theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Massad Ayoob

Gun Magazine, April, 2008

"Yes, it is easy to remove the magazine disconnector mechanism if you really know the insides of the SR9. However, ever since famed Miami defense attorney Mark Seiden consulted me on a manslaughter case where one of the state's platforms for proving the shooter's recklessness was his possession of a Browning Hi-Power with its mag disconnector safety removed, I've been leery of that particular parts removal job. It's not a debate point you want to hand to those who are trying to send you up the river"

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Yep I remembered correctly, just looked it up... pg. 17 Ruger SR9 manual states, "Dry firing your Ruger SR9 with the magazine removed may result in damage or unnecessary wear to the STRIKER BLOCKING MECHANISM." As I read it, it just affects the disconnect, but I have definitely heard that it can make the trigger gritty as I said before. I assume it would have something to do with the damaged mag disconnect interfering with the striker going from half-cock to full.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    weakerbrother,
    As I mentioned I completely understand that point, and I appreciate your research. I hadn't seen that particular quote. To each his own, and I understand the better safe than sorry philosophy, but I still think it would be really hard for them to have the mag disconnect be a deciding factor in any case. I'd be interested to know the details of that Miami case outcome.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I've owned a lot of Rugers over the years. Every single one of them has been rock solid reliable and accurate. I've not shot the SR9, but now that they've been out for a bit and Ruger has had a chance to get the bugs ironed out that any new design has, I'd not hesitate to try one out.

Mine was an early one, fixed in the recall. No bugs, no vices. Just a solid, reliable, nice shooting gun.

Top Bottom