• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbsg2005

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    I would much rather it be striker fired like the SR9\9C\40\40C but I will still probably look at em for the to plink with.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Ok, maybe I do need another 22 semi-auto. I'm trying to resist, but there's always room for another 22, right? I do like the fact that it will shoot just about any ammo. My P22 was finickly at first and even now, does not like the cheap Winchester stuff I have a lot of. The Firestorm works best with either the Remington bulk or CCI Mini-Mags. It would be nice to have a gun that could shoot whatever was available.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Looks like a Taurus 24/7 and Walther P22 got together...

But I'm sure Ruger will sell a crap-ton of them. Just hope they can produce enough of this and their "American" rifle to meet demand.

Brando

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Just noticed that. Strange. And not just SR22, they had to put SR22 PISTOL I guess so you wouldn't mistake it for a rifle or something.:dunno:

Ah, I forgot they do already have the SR22 Autoloading Rifle. So they had to write SR22 Pistol on the slide I guess.

Bartman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm interested, I've been looking at .22 pistols and nothing seems to fit very well yet. I'm sure there will be plenty of people who snap them up as soon as they're available, then we'll have more first hand info.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Yep. Looks like the perfect cure for the "safety that goes up" thing that I hate about Walther-style pistols like the Walther P22.

Well after reading tha manual, I was wrong... the safety does go up... but at least it's where your thumb can reach it.

Oh, and it says threaded barrels are available.

defender14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Fishers
    I am looking forward to this for sure.

Especially if I can find one with a threaded barrel

I was able to convince the wife to let me get a 22 pistol late January and I was disappointed with the lack of American made 22 lr pistols. The Browning Buckmark and Ruger Mark III seemed to be the only option (the M&P22 pistol is made in Germany...) but now the LCR22 and SR22 Pistol are out. I wonder if practicing with the sr22 pistol might translate over to use of my carry weapon, SR9c, better than the Mark III.

defender14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Fishers
    As far as threaded barrel the only thing I have found was in the SR22 Pistol instruction manual on the Ruger site

The RUGER® SR22TM PISTOL barrel, although fixed, can be changed out. Threaded barrels are available from Ruger

Nightwalker65

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2011
    Seymour
    Got the email from Ruger,and saw Jeff Quinn's review yesterday, and my curiosity is piqued.....but I'm gonna wait for more reviews from owners before I put it on my gotstahavit list

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Ain't real purdy, is it?

Wait until after the recall is done with, then I'll re-evaluate if I want one or not.

I think that the P22 is a MUCH better looking firearm than this one, though.

-J-

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    This pistol will compete with the updated Walther P22Q. For the record, I simply despise the P22 with the fury of a thousand suns, so I cannot claim to be all that objective. But anyway, here is how I see the two comparing:

Price - comparable but I bet the Walther wins.

Ruger recall? - maybe, but you have to admit they are getting pretty good at them.

Materials / Construction - slight edge to the Ruger, despite the aluminum slide.

Controls - Ruger looks to have a better safety/decocker lever; slide release seems to be a draw; mag release is a clear win for the Ruger - I want to kick a puppy every time I use the P22 mag release or one like it.

Trigger - no idea which will be better. What I really want to know is why they insist on a DA/SA set-up. These pistols should replicate the trigger of their big siblings and they do not. It sort of makes sense for the Sig Mosquito to be DA/SA, since that has been Sig's bread and butter for years, but that should be the exception not the rule. If i wanted a 22 that could fire in both SA or DA I would (and plan to) buy a 22 revolver. Otherwise, I want my 22 pistols to be one or the other...which is why mine are both SA. Which is sort of ironic since my carry guns are Kahr's with their DAO triggers.

Accuracy - likely a draw, though the small number of P22's I have fired were not very accurate. They shot 4-5 inches at 15 yards, which is what I expect from 9 MM, not a 22. Hopefully, the Ruger and the updated Walther can improve this.

Ammo compatibility - Ruger FTW if the initial review(s?) are correct and Ruger's plan to make the guns eat any ammo truly becomes reality.

Sights - I cannot tell if the Walther is adjustable for elevation, so slight edge (at least) to the Ruger.

Threaded barrel - looks like a draw, though it may be a while B4 Ruger threaded barrels ship.

Well, that is all I can think of right now. Based on this "penetrating" analysis, I will give the edge to the Ruger. If it were my money, that is what I would buy. Of course, I would not buy either of them, but that is not the point. If you put a gun to my head (pun intended), placed the 2 before me and commanded "CHOOSE", I would choose the Ruger.

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    We will have our first SR-22 PISTOLS in this week. I'll say one thing about Ruger, they usually do a good job of making new products available in a timely manner after their introduction (SR1911 and Gunsite Scout notwithstanding).

defender14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Fishers
    We will have our first SR-22 PISTOLS in this week. I'll say one thing about Ruger, they usually do a good job of making new products available in a timely manner after their introduction (SR1911 and Gunsite Scout notwithstanding).

Any idea on what the pricing will be at Bradis? I have browsed your shop a bit (father in law lives in Decatur), but it may be time to make my first firearm purchase there this week...

indianajoe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Fishers
    From what I have been told $299.99 - 319.99 depending on your gun shop

Check out this link, seems to eat up and spit out anything fed to it.

http://youtu.be/qsDwOAeQqGw

I liked this:

"And, a’course it comes with a nice big Ruger padlock, which I like Ruger padlocks. All the gates here around the farm and everywhere, the deer stands, everything’s got Ruger padlocks on ‘em. They’re handy for stuff like that. Or you can use it to lock your pistol up, if you live in a situation where you need to do that."

Top Bottom