• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jotto

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    NW Indiana
    I recently purchased a Ruger Mark III Target as well as the Volquartson upgrade kit. I read the book, took photos, and watched numerous videos online. Everything appears to be back in place correctly but the pistol will not function. I've had it apart and back together numerous times without luck. At this point I am looking for some professional help. :scratch:

Is anyone aware of a Gunsmith or the like in the La Porte area? I am of course willing to pay for services rendered. At this point I just want to get it back together in operation condition so that I can get to shooting.

I admit that I have finally met my match in the Ruger Mark III.

Thank you all for your assistance.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    MK III is a PITA. I took the magazine disconnect and Loaded chamber indicator out and put a Sam Lam bushing in it and its much nicer and the mag's will drop free now.

If your gun is back together is the problem that it will not allow you to draw back the bolt and cock the weapon? Or does it cock and not want to fire?

Usually in the first case, you didn't have the hammer forward or perhaps the hammer strut got out of place as you replaced the mainspring housing. Did you detail strip the lower? If so, it's also possible to get the sear or sear spring out of place which makes things not work properly. some times the bolt will cycle but it won't cock. I'm guessing after the reading and video fest you've got the kabooki dance with the magazine that is required with the MK III down to a science by now.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Think I'm gonna find a new home for mine once I get done extending the ramp on the MkI so it'll eat HPs. I had that [bad word] apart once, and regret it almost as much as the Sub2000. For that at least, I have three arms and every tool known to man. For the MkIII you need also the patience of Job, which I no longer possess. Man, I'm tempted to go get the MIG running, but I have more important things to do right now.

TTB Yeee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Ohio
    I had a few issues my first tear down as well, whats the issue exactly? Will the bolt not come all the way back? My guess is a problem with the mainspring housing as well. That is the only part that has caused me trouble putting it back together. Watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTrlcKfT790 he starts the teardown at like 30 minute mark.

Watch him put it back together, because that is where your issue must be.

hopcam

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Brownsburg
    The easiest reassembly video I have seen is the tactical solutions video for reassembly at the bottom of this page... (first video at the bottom of the page)

Pac-Lite Barrel Upgrade for the Ruger 22/45 and MK Series Pistols | Tactical Solutions

I realize it is for paclite barrels, but it applies to the factory upper as well. Most simple and straight forward explanation of the sequence. I have to watch it every time I clean because I am too dumb to remember the way to do it...

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    after you do it a couple dozen times, it really isn't to bad. I wanted to take a hammer to mine the first few times though

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    My last Ruger 22 was a MK I so I thought I needed a refresher. After watching the Utube vid I took mine apart and put it back together first try?? Maybe I'm just lucky.
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] 1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    My last Ruger 22 was a MK I so I thought I needed a refresher. After watching the Utube vid I took mine apart and put it back together first try?? Maybe I'm just lucky.
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] 1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

Yes you are. I had to watch the Ruger video to get mine back together. If it wasn't so danged accurate it would be gone. Was much easier the second time but I was a dreading it.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    My MkI is a couple orders of magnitude easier to put together than the MkIII. Part of it is it's broken in, part of it is it's not put together perversely. I can strip it and have it back together in about a minute. MkIII, maybe a half hour.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I recently purchased a Ruger Mark III Target as well as the Volquartson upgrade kit. I read the book, took photos, and watched numerous videos online. Everything appears to be back in place correctly but the pistol will not function. I've had it apart and back together numerous times without luck. At this point I am looking for some professional help. :scratch:

Is anyone aware of a Gunsmith or the like in the La Porte area? I am of course willing to pay for services rendered. At this point I just want to get it back together in operation condition so that I can get to shooting.

I admit that I have finally met my match in the Ruger Mark III.

Thank you all for your assistance.

Anyone with a Ruger MK ANYTHING should get and install (or have installed) the Majestic Speed Strip kit. It also lowers the trigger pull down to around 3.5 lbs.

I tore my MK l down a couple of times 3 decades ago..my brother has had it until 2 weeks ago...i have a speed strip kit on order for it.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    My MarkIII 22/45 has been apart precisely ONCE. It went back to Ruger for reassembly after one of the fine folks at Bradis gave it his all. Since then i've done nothing more than wipe out the action with a dry rag and occaisionally brush the feed ramp. It's had several thousand rounds through it since then.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    My MarkIII 22/45 has been apart precisely ONCE. It went back to Ruger for reassembly after one of the fine folks at Bradis gave it his all. Since then i've done nothing more than wipe out the action with a dry rag and occaisionally brush the feed ramp. It's had several thousand rounds through it since then.

I learned from my brother that he never ONCE tore down my MK l, in the 29 years he had it. He ran a rag down the barrel, wiped it off and oiled it.

It has roughly 25K rounds through it since 1978.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom