• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bearclaw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Anderson
    Ok, I think I have come to the conclusion that I want to get a LCP for my backup gun. I currently carry a SR9c and love it and it will still be my everyday carry, but some time my job requires me to be a little more discrete and want a pocket or ankle gun. The question is, is it worth it to get one with the CT laser that come installed on some of them. I figure if I'm using this gun the person will be pretty close. so it seems like it would help. Or is it just a waste of money and space. I have never used a laser so thought I would see what you say.

Thanks

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I bought a CT for mine and have a wallet holster that accommodates it. It works very well but I carry it a lot without the laser because it is just easier to carry and the additional thickness on the trigger guard makes the grip just a little too short for my hands. The CT is cool though and it is bright and works fine. It is a very good product.

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    Before the anti-laser people chime in, let me say that I like lasers for CCW and I have them on three different pistols. However, I do not have one on my TCP. The reason why is that doing so goes against the mission of the thing - which is to be as small as possible for those times when I can't carry anything bigger. The extra bulk and size aren't much, but every little bit counts in a minimalist mode. Plus, I think that the very short distances in which these little guns will be used make the laser less useful, not more.

However, if an LCP or TCP were my primary EDC, then I would put a laser on it.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I had a laser on my LC9 and at the range the little red dot actually made it more difficult to stay on target. When you have a laser on a little palm gun it's very very hard to target with it (was for me anyway). I'm sure I could have gotten better at it, but clearly, we're not using the laser to illuminate the target (if we are, we're in trouble ... get a flashlight) and unless you practice with it, I can almost assure you it will really distract you. Add to the fact that in a home invasion or other SHTF scenerio, the little laser, if accidently engaged before you're ready will just give your position away.

RangerRider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Fountain County
    I carry the sr9c myself, my lcp is my BUG it has CT laser on it an I like it quite well. I'm right handed but I have started carrying the 380 in my left front pocket. With the laser I was happy with how well I shot left handed. most deffintly and up close gun with a 3 foot trigger pull

jmoore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2014
    Auburn
    I personally have never owned a gun with a laser but I think they're cool. I say if it's no harder to conceal go for it.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    I have a Crimson Trace on my BUG and don't regret it. I carried the LCP as my pocket / deep cover for several years, but decided to change over to the S&W J-Frame last year. I'd rather carry a 38+p than a 380, but that's me...

Whatever you decide to carry, please practice with it. I'd rather find out what does / doesn't work for me at the range than when SHTF. There are even courses specifically designed for BUGs & methods to use them effectively.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    I read an article not to long ago, where they tested people drawing and shooting a small pistol with a laser.
    They found, that many people took longer to aquire the target using a laser, than without the laser.
    Not being an expert, I feel guns like a TCP, LCP, Kel-Tec 380 ect., are point and shoot pistols anyway. One
    thing you would not want to do, is slow things down.
    Maybe it is just me, but for some reason, I am a more accurate shooter without a laser.

Bearclaw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Anderson
    Thanks for all the good advise. One thing I didn't think about is that, the only reason I'm going to go with the Ruger is that I like it the best (out of the pocket guns) is when it has the Houge grip on it. I'm wanting the CT laser so it's just on when it's held and I need to see if it will fit with that grip. An I agree practice, practice, practice.

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    I read an article not to long ago, where they tested people drawing and shooting a small pistol with a laser.
    They found, that many people took longer to aquire the target using a laser, than without the laser.
    Not being an expert, I feel guns like a TCP, LCP, Kel-Tec 380 ect., are point and shoot pistols anyway. One
    Maybe it is just me, but for some reason, I am a more accurate shooter without a laser.

The main reason I want the laser is for those times when you can't get a normal sight picture.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I'm all for the CT laser on the LCP. Wife and I have both carried one now for 3 yrs. We both think it's great, especially for our aging eyes during low light situations.
    Just like anything else, you MUST practice with it to be proficient. I call bunk on the above mentioned study. It most likely done with folks that were not proficient with the said gun, and laser.

Dry fire practice, especially with the laser IS your best friend. The laser will tell on you real quickly if you aren't managing the trigger correctly. My opinion, the laser has many more positives then negatives. Let the haters begin.

Bearclaw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Anderson
    That was my thinking on the laser. Low light or dark situations. Plus in a quick situation and I can't get a good sight line at least the laser would give a better idea of placement. That is what i like about the CT you don't have to think to turn it on.

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    I have Crimson Trace on all of my carry guns. In my opinion they are well worth the investment. I carry a JFrame and Glock 26, both of which have CT lasers.

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    I have struggled with this issue on my own ccw, which was an LC9. I like the laser site for 3 reasons:

- Practice. I do a lot of dry firing and it helps to be able to tell if you are on target from different angles (ie. waist high hold) as well as showing if you have a wobble or pull the site off target as you pull the trigger.
    - Low light. My eyes are not as sharp as they once were, and laser sights offer an advantage in low light situations if you do not have night sights.
    - More flexible aiming. You do not need to hold the pistol in front of your face to line up the sights. This could be helpful if you trying to shoot from behind a barrier or around a wall.

Now, I did not like one aspect of the laser sight. On my LC9, I had the LaserLyte installed on the side of the frame. This made my pistol about 3/8 of an inch wider at that spot. For IWB and pocket carry, that bothered me. If this laser site was in front of the trigger guard, this would not be in issue. But for trying to keep a pocket pistol as small and light as possible, it can be a disadvantage.

Of course, YMMV, so take this all with a shaker of salt.

----
    GB!

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis

This.

IMO, you want to focus on the draw, quick aim, and fire. You don't need any extra safeties or laser buttons in the way. You want to be able to just to shoot as quickly as possible. Another situation is what if the laser doesn't activate (broken or batteries die) properly? If you rely on that laser and it isn't working correctly, what are you going to do?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the average SD confrontation is about 7 yards away. If you practice enough, you should be able to shoot center of mass at that distance, instinctively, with any pistol. It isn't that difficult, I promise. Learn how to shoot well with open sights and it'll pay off.

I had the front sight of my Glock fall off once. I could still shoot center of mass shots at 7 yards.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    This.

IMO, you want to focus on the draw, quick aim, and fire. You don't need any extra safeties or laser buttons in the way. You want to be able to just to shoot as quickly as possible. Another situation is what if the laser doesn't activate (broken or batteries die) properly? If you rely on that laser and it isn't working correctly, what are you going to do?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the average SD confrontation is about 7 yards away. If you practice enough, you should be able to shoot center of mass at that distance, instinctively, with any pistol. It isn't that difficult, I promise. Learn how to shoot well with open sights and it'll pay off.

I had the front sight of my Glock fall off once. I could still shoot center of mass shots at 7 yards.

That is what I was trying to say. Pocket guns are really meant to be point and shoot guns. I think the average confrontation is closer that seven yards, but I get your point.
    Why put something on a pocket gun, that may not work when needed, or hinder your holster withdraw. JUST POINT AND SHOOT in an emergency and quickly. You can PRACTICE this.
    Just my opinion.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Yeah, yeah, yeah. Well over 1,000 rounds through my gun and over 500 through my wife's, the CT has never failed us. Batteries? Change them once a year for free from Crimson trace and your good to go. BIL has over 500 rnds through his SR9c with CT and never an issue.

The CT is the only one I think makes sense. Any others with a button you have to be sure to push other than with a normal grip, isn't worth it.

YMMV.

Top Bottom