• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    I bought a Ruger LCP (lightweight compact pistol) 380. It is small and lightweight, and good for CC. Fits nicely into a pocket or pocket holster, and with loose-fitting jeans you can hardly tell that it is there. When I took it to the range to fire, I found out it is NOT fun to fire. I shot two rounds and my son shot two, and neither of us really wanted to shoot anymore. It packs a kick similar to my Ruger 9mm, but in that small frame it is uncomfortable to shoot, bordering on painful. That means I will not get much practice with it at the range. So even though it is a nice size for CC and packs a wallop, mine will only be good for very short range, or a "rib-sticker" as a friend called it. Anyone else have experience with this handgun?

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I bought a Ruger LCP (lightweight compact pistol) 380. It is small and lightweight, and good for CC. Fits nicely into a pocket or pocket holster, and with loose-fitting jeans you can hardly tell that it is there. When I took it to the range to fire, I found out it is NOT fun to fire. I shot two rounds and my son shot two, and neither of us really wanted to shoot anymore. It packs a kick similar to my Ruger 9mm, but in that small frame it is uncomfortable to shoot, bordering on painful. That means I will not get much practice with it at the range. So even though it is a nice size for CC and packs a wallop, mine will only be good for very short range, or a "rib-sticker" as a friend called it. Anyone else have experience with this handgun?
    They do kick. I think it's fun to shoot 3 or 4 mags out of, but that's enough for a while. Maybe you should consider a .22 if 2 rounds is all you can tolerate. If you can afford it, a Sig P238 is more pleasant to shoot. Even my wife likes that one and it is a .380.

Erich

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    High Desert of New Mexico
    I agree they're not especially "fun" to shoot, but my LCP groups really well for me.

28aug11LCPdetails0061.jpg

With the over-SAAMI-spec Buffalo Bore ".380+P" ball load, though, it's pretty unpleasant - but really delivers the mail (just S of 1100 fps). Feels like having my hand whacked with a full-speed ping-pong paddle, though I'd imagine it's considerably worse on the other end. Groups decently well with these, also.

11feb12BuffaloBoreLCP.jpg

11feb13BuffaloBoreLCPcloseup.jpg

Can't beat the thing for ease of carry, though - I've concealed it in a swimsuit in FL (I'll spare you the photos, though I have them).

ctb1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    Reliability can be a problem with the little LCP. As with any defensive pistol, you'll want to put quite a few rounds through it to make sure you can count on it - including the rounds you plan to carry. If you can't shoot more than two rounds at a time, this could take a while.

I sent mine back to Ruger twice. The second time they sent me a new pistol, but by that time I had lost all confidence. So I sold it. Hopefully, you'll have better luck, but be sure to give it a good workout before you trust it.

Erich

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    High Desert of New Mexico
    What series prefix was yours, ctb1? I've not heard of any issues with the 372-series or subsequent LCPs (i.e., from a couple years after the guns' introduction, on).

darend505

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    The LCP does have some kick to it, but what more can you expect from such a short barrel? It is bound to have a lot of kick and muzzle flip, you have to make sure that you do not limp wrist it!

I have the LC9 and I do not think ill of it at all! It is a blast to shoot and to me has not muzzle flip!

anifong

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Marshall County, IN
    I didn't like to shoot mine, either, although loved being able to just drop in a pocket and go. I sold it to another member a while back to try some other options - Kahr CM40, Keltec P-11, both of which I find much more pleasant to shoot. That being said if I run across one at a good price I'll probably pick one up again.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    In my opinion most .380s have the disadvantage of being "painful" to shoot. They are not range guns for that very reason. However, being small they are easy to CC. I suspect most people who do carry them do so for self defense. Of course, that means the they are there if you need them; and if you do most folks won't even notice the discomfort if they are shooting to survive.

Fortunately, there are some excellent 9mm out there that are small in their own right. When they became available, the .380 was history for me.:twocents:

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    When you need it for real, you won't even remember how it felt.
    I have two Pearce grip extentions on my magazines which are a little longer than the Ruger extentions and it fits me quite well.
    I also have a Crimson Trace laser on it so I don't have to aim with the sights on the slide.
    It is more than accurate enough.

redryder

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Evansville IN
    Get the Pearce Extension Grips, put in a 13lb recoil spring ,add a Pchmayr grip. That will tame that pistol down quit a bit. Check out the Elsiepea forum.

Last edited:

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    What series prefix was yours, ctb1? I've not heard of any issues with the 372-series or subsequent LCPs (i.e., from a couple years after the guns' introduction, on).
    I'm going to have to check my numbers. I bought mine shortly after they came out and it has never failed to go bang when I pull the trigger. No FTF or FTE either. And I can hit really well with it too. No problems with Federal Hydroshocks either.

ctb1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    Next time I'm in the lockbox I'll try to remember to check the serial number. It was not one of the first ones. Definitely after the recall. As I remember, I had like 7 failures in the first 50 rounds. Then 4, then 2 in each 50 until I had 300 rounds through it. Called Ruger, sent it back and they said they fixed it. I had 2 hang ups in each box of 50 for the next 200 rounds. Two seemed to be my lucky (unlucky?) number. They told me to send it back again. I got a letter saying they had decided to replace the whole gun. When I got it back it seemed to work, but I was tired of it. I will say Ruger was very friendly and accommodating.

Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    Thanks to everyone for all the input, especially how to tame it down a bit. Hopefully those suggestions will help. I have 9mm Ruger, and have no problem firing it, so if I can get this one in that range, that would be good.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Mine is a 371-19xxx. I have had no problems with it. Have these been a problem for anyone else?:dunno:

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Practice draws and shooting

Thanks to everyone for all the input, especially how to tame it down a bit. Hopefully those suggestions will help. I have 9mm Ruger, and have no problem firing it, so if I can get this one in that range, that would be good.
    Been carrying mine now for over 2 years and it's always with me. After lots of pocket draw practice shooting, I got really comfortable with it. It's a little snappy but feels good in my large hands. I love mine and almost forget its in my front pocket.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Been carrying mine now for over 2 years and it's always with me. After lots of pocket draw practice shooting, I got really comfortable with it. It's a little snappy but feels good in my large hands. I love mine and almost forget its in my front pocket.

What is this "snappy" and how can I get some? :laugh:

Oh don't you just love it?

Top Bottom