• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Reliability can be a problem with the little LCP. As with any defensive pistol, you'll want to put quite a few rounds through it to make sure you can count on it - including the rounds you plan to carry. If you can't shoot more than two rounds at a time, this could take a while.

I sent mine back to Ruger twice. The second time they sent me a new pistol, but by that time I had lost all confidence. So I sold it. Hopefully, you'll have better luck, but be sure to give it a good workout before you trust it.

Both of mine are at Ruger right now. They both jam at least once ever 3 magazines. I'm considering, even if they do fix them, selling them both and buying something reliable. I can't have my wife carrying a pistol that will jam.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I bought a Ruger LCP (lightweight compact pistol) 380. It is small and lightweight, and good for CC. Fits nicely into a pocket or pocket holster, and with loose-fitting jeans you can hardly tell that it is there. When I took it to the range to fire, I found out it is NOT fun to fire. I shot two rounds and my son shot two, and neither of us really wanted to shoot anymore. It packs a kick similar to my Ruger 9mm, but in that small frame it is uncomfortable to shoot, bordering on painful. That means I will not get much practice with it at the range. So even though it is a nice size for CC and packs a wallop, mine will only be good for very short range, or a "rib-sticker" as a friend called it. Anyone else have experience with this handgun?

Wife and I both carry a Ruger LCP with Crimson Trace Laser.
    Over a thousand rnds through each gun.
    Remember its purpose, it is not intended to be fun, it's meant to defend your life while easy to carry.

I found that if you grip the gun very tightly when firing like you are preventing somone from taking it from you, helps tremendously on the kick.

Stay away from WWB ammo for this gun, the ammo is junk. Velocity is all over the place because of powder charge variations. This will cause jams.
    Never had any problems with ours, except when using WWB.
    Federal, Hornady Critical Defense and my reloads shoot just fine.

The more you shoot it, the more the springs loosen up in it, and it will improve the trigger and recoil. Also, the more you shoot it, the more you become used to the recoil. I don't notice that or the long trigger at all any more.

Dry fire practice will do wonders to improve your trigger control of this gun.

Give it time.

bd1024

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 22, 2011
    Indy
    Ruger

I like mine, though not really a range pistol, I consider mine as a concealed carry piece. The small size makes it a joy to carry. Though not a 44 mag, I think a 380 is stout enough to discourage most attackers. --- My problem with a large handgun, is that I tend to leave them home. Packing around a 4 lb. pistol just isn't practical for me. And if you don't have it with you, it won't do you much good.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    In my opinion most .380s have the disadvantage of being "painful" to shoot. They are not range guns for that very reason. However, being small they are easy to CC. I suspect most people who do carry them do so for self defense. Of course, that means the they are there if you need them; and if you do most folks won't even notice the discomfort if they are shooting to survive.

Fortunately, there are some excellent 9mm out there that are small in their own right. When they became available, the .380 was history for me.:twocents:

I was looking at an LCP. Bought a Diamondback DB9 instead. Couple oz. more weight - still VERY light. Stopping power of a 9mm. Best of both worlds.

Enthusiast

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    It is my go to piece when I want to carry light and very concealed. Snappy yes. I haven't had issues with mine with over 500 rounds of various brands.

Top Bottom