• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dixiejack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Madison
    Bought one in .22 mag. yesterday. Ordered a Nikon Prostaff Target EFR and Warne mounts for it. The trigger is smooth and according to my LGD, the trigger was set at 3 lbs. out of the box. Weight is forward of center and the bolt cocks on closing which make it a little tight to close. Overall is typical Ruger quality and in my opinion a better buy than the 77 series. For $269.95 plus tax plus 2 boxes of CCI Maxi Mags thrown in, I think I got a good deal. I will try to load some pics when I get it tweaked out and hope to have some 5 shot groups to show.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    How smooth is the bolt throw? Can you compare it to either a savage or a cz?

Bummed about the cock on closing, that's a deal killer for me. I was super excited about this rifle also.

Dixiejack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Madison
    Not crazy about the bolt cocking on closing, but it locks up tight. The only other bolt action .22 I have to compare it to is a Remington 512 that I got for Christmas in 1952. It's still my go to squirrel gun.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Didn't someone figure it out for the old 1917 Enfield?

I don't know about that. I admit when it comes to cock on closing I am ignorant. I am not sure if it could be done w/out a complete replacement bolt, the price of which would be sure to price this gun to far out there for me to have any interest in picking one up.

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    What is the problem with the bolt cocking on closing? I really don't know all that much about bolt action, but this rifle has caught my interest. I wasn't sure if this 'issue' was good reason not to buy.

Are there some advantages/disadvantages to the bolt cocking on opening/closing, or is it just a personal preference? I would assume it is a fairly big deal since Indy Gunworks doesn't want this due to the bolt locking on close...

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Its just personal preference mostly. I to throw the bolt home rather lazily and w/ cock on closing you have to concentrate a bit more on it because you meet resistance as you are pushing the bolt forward (cocking) With a cock on opening you meet the resistance as you raise the bolt, but everything from there on is pretty smooth. Also my .22 is my trainer for my longer range bolt guns, and I don't want to develop bad muscle memory. I had a British Enfield for a while and loved to shoot it, but in the end I just didn't like the cock on closing bolt so I got rid of the gun.

Absolutly nothing wrong with it, its just personal preference

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    Its just personal preference mostly. I to throw the bolt home rather lazily and w/ cock on closing you have to concentrate a bit more on it because you meet resistance as you are pushing the bolt forward (cocking) With a cock on opening you meet the resistance as you raise the bolt, but everything from there on is pretty smooth. Also my .22 is my trainer for my longer range bolt guns, and I don't want to develop bad muscle memory. I had a British Enfield for a while and loved to shoot it, but in the end I just didn't like the cock on closing bolt so I got rid of the gun.

Absolutly nothing wrong with it, its just personal preference

That makes sense. Without too much bolt action experience, should I be worried about this when purchasing?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    No. I am just very very picky. Worst case go find one on a shelf somewhere and run the bolt a few times... You will know REAL quick if you like it or not.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I just know that I really like the Ruger 77.17 and I just got clearance from HQ (wife) to get one. Oh...that beautiful walnut and blued steel beauty. I feel like Ralphie on the "Christmas Story":rockwoot:

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    From what I could gather over a few minutes of handling: nice weight, nice trigger, horrid bolt feel. I'll stick with CZ for 100$ more. If they'd made this at a 180-200$ price point, I could see it. Not 280$, though.

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    I tried to handle one of these today at the Dicks sporting goods in Greenwood, but waited at the counter for 15 minutes without seeing a single employee :dunno:

That wasnt the only disappointing part about my visit either. The price tag on it was $379.99. $80 more than suggested retail, and $100+ what I have seen elsewhere...They have been good to me recently with .22lr and shotgun shells, but today was not a good day.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I tried to handle one of these today at the Dicks sporting goods in Greenwood, but waited at the counter for 15 minutes without seeing a single employee :dunno:

That wasnt the only disappointing part about my visit either. The price tag on it was $379.99. $80 more than suggested retail, and $100+ what I have seen elsewhere...They have been good to me recently with .22lr and shotgun shells, but today was not a good day.

A bit of discussion on DICKS;
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ussion/294189-dicks-great-boycott-2013-a.html
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-dicks-field-stream-stores-coming-line-2.html

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    They shoot really well. Good accuracy and feeds perfectly from the Ruger magazine. The Mag release is big and easy to use. The finish is blued and really nice rather than the flat black military finish that we see on so many things today. The nice metal finish is sort of wasted on the ugly plastic stock. Even the longer version of the stock has small dimensions if you are 6'2". Because of the spacer system, lengthening the buttstock is not going to be an easy task.

There is something unusual about the design. The stock has metal bedding blocks which I would consider a good thing, except the rear block is also where the ejector tab is mounted, not on the action. This will make replacing the stock an issue as you will have to engineer a way to mount the ejector tab somewhere else.

The Bolt is not smooth like a model 70 but is acceptable. Most of the friction comes from the blot release lever that is on the left side of the receiver. The "adjustable" trigger will never really smooth the trigger of take all the creep out. That said, it is better than most triggers you see on $250 firearms.

Accuracy is very good, at least with CCI mini mags. It is definately nicer than the $175 entry level rifles. It is not as good of offering as a $500 CZ, and Anshultz has nothing to worry about. For $259 in todays market, I would say it is a good value

Top Bottom