• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Adrian8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Just to muddy your waters....Why a .458 when the .450 Bushmaster is legal...? The .458 is soooooo expensive to shoot. Factory ammo for the BM can be had for less than $30.00 a box...if you are wanting to shoot 600 grain bullets the .458 is for you. 20" .450 uppers can be had for $550.00 and are incredibly accurate with the 250 grain FTX bullets. PS my brother sold his .458 RR and bought a .450 BM..nothing but problems.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I have only shot off the shelf ammo the best being SBR with the 300gr Barnes TTSX. It shot extremely well holding sub-moa groups out to 250yards. Mine has 7 deer to it's name all 1 shot kills

I don't hunt with mine but wow that's some good shooting there Tex! :yesway:

The lightest round I've tried it the Corbon 350 gr HP, the heaviest being the SBR 410. Both worked & grouped great from my RR 458 but I've only shot out to ~100 yards.

And $699 is a pretty good price considering how hard they are to find now. Hunting season seemed to drive the upper prices closer to $800.

Terry4570

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    N.A. IN.
    Just to muddy your waters....Why a .458 when the .450 Bushmaster is legal...? The .458 is soooooo expensive to shoot. Factory ammo for the BM can be had for less than $30.00 a box...if you are wanting to shoot 600 grain bullets the .458 is for you. 20" .450 uppers can be had for $550.00 and are incredibly accurate with the 250 grain FTX bullets. PS my brother sold his .458 RR and bought a .450 BM..nothing but problems.
    That is one reason I reload them,but when I got the 458 didn't know you could use it to deer hunt so that was a plus for me,the other is all the bullets you get for it.And have not had any real trouble with it other than mag. and feed,and that was an easy fix,just grind a little on the front of the mag. where feeds out,like a quarter moon shape or less and still can be used with 223 ammo.

Adrian8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    The .458 has feeding problems...like Terry 4570 says with the magazine.. you have "grind on it some"...should not have to grind on a $1,100 guns' mag to try and get it to feed...and my brothers still did not feed reliably. The .450 comes with a mag designed for the .450 ammo..works great. The .458 mags are poorly designed, the cartridges will sometimes stick up high sometimes lay low..just **** poor really. He sent it back to RR..got it back..thought it was OK..it jammed on the second shot on a big deer..Got fed up with it...kept the lower sold the upper and bought a .450 from Buds Guns...Just my opinion but there is no reason now to buy a .458 over a 450..You can buy loaded ammo with good bullets ..the 250 FTX for about $25.00 online. Check out the ammo prices for the .458..a total rip-off. The 450 is super easy to reload too with a wide variety of bullets that are fairly cheap to load like the XTP-mags. A 250 grain Hornady FTX bullet leaves the muzzle of the 450 at 2,200 fps...and they are tack drivers. Water muddy enough now? Just trying to clue you in.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    The .458 has feeding problems...like Terry 4570 says with the magazine.. you have "grind on it some"...should not have to grind on a $1,100 guns' mag to try and get it to feed

...and my brothers still did not feed reliably.

The .458 mags are poorly designed, the cartridges will sometimes stick up high sometimes lay low..just **** poor really.

The biggest feeding problem on the 458 SOCOM isn't the magazine, but the folks loading the ammunition, followed closely by the extractor shape and undersized chambers(although not lately).

There is no such thing as a "458 Magazine", other than perhaps someone who has made custom floorplates and stuck them on standard 5.56 magazines.

The instructions provided with the RRA supplied magazine for complete 458 SOCOM rifles does have you do some grinding, although it typically isn't needed - especially with well used GI magazines.

The .450 comes with a mag designed for the .450 ammo..works great.

And it should for the $35.95 they sell them for.

Of course, they have factory ammunition to proof them with - a clear advantage for the 450 Bushmaster.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I have been using whatever magazines I have from the AR15 and I have no feeding problem at all. But the heaviest bullets I have used was 300 gr.

Adrian8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    I am just saying the Bushmaster comes with a magazine when you buy the upper that is designed for the .450 and no grinding is required..(thats' nuts) and they work great...well worth the $49.95 Bushmaster sells them for..My brother would have paid a lot more for a mag that worked when that deer got away. Like I say there is no need to buy a .458 now with the .450 legal..unless you have money to burn.

Mech45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    NWI
    Sounds like you guys might be a little to far south but Blythe's in Griffith just got a couple of RRA 458 SOCOM uppers in, they had one left with the flash surpressor on it. The other one had the muzzle brake on it and I have it on lay-a-way until my tax refund check comes in. :D

Chris

netman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Chandler,In
    Adrian I'm going with the 458 socom due to one main reason. I have a few 4570 rifles and have a pile of bullet moulds in 458. I reload for several various caliber rifles and plan to reload all of the ammo I run through the rifle.
    The 450BM is very appealing to me also.
    I'm wanting this rifle to deer hunt here in Indiana and hog hunt in Louisiana. I go to La on a regular basis and can hog hunt alot of places.
    It is going to come down to me getting either a rifle purchased or ordered. I'm interested in a couple of the rifles others mentioned however I'm not sure where the gun shops are located. I am going to call the tx number for the shop that has the rifle and see about buying it.

Adrian8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Adrian I'm going with the 458 socom due to one main reason. I have a few 4570 rifles and have a pile of bullet moulds in 458. I reload for several various caliber rifles and plan to reload all of the ammo I run through the rifle.
    The 450BM is very appealing to me also.
    I'm wanting this rifle to deer hunt here in Indiana and hog hunt in Louisiana. I go to La on a regular basis and can hog hunt alot of places.
    It is going to come down to me getting either a rifle purchased or ordered. I'm interested in a couple of the rifles others mentioned however I'm not sure where the gun shops are located. I am going to call the tx number for the shop that has the rifle and see about buying it.
    I reload all my ammo too. Just saying the brass for the .458 is pricey as is the loaded ammo... when you can buy a box of loaded .450 for about $25 to $28.00 and then you have the brass..If you are talking about moulding bullets for the .450 I would think they would lead up the barrel. I always shoot jacketed bullets out of my rifles. Ballistically these guns are very similar and I prefer the .250 grain FTX that is the 'standard' bullet for the .450 for hunting over the offerings for the .458. just my .02..

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I would pick the 458 due to it can use heavier bullets up to 500 gr. IF I ever move to area where bears are problems. I think the 500 gr would take care of them or even the 450 gr.

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    What kind of pistol are you trying to trade? I have a RR 458 upper on a DS lower an collapsible stock. I've shot it two times since I've had it. I have a new Bushnell scope and 2 boxes of ammo minus the 2 rounds for the right deal. I'm about 2.5 hours from you. If your interested,
    Email me if your pm doesn't work. Lanlesnee@aol.com

Top Bottom