• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Only one problem with the Marlins. They are no longer in production (1894's) so the price has gone through the roof.

I bought mine and my brothers at the same time about 3 years ago. I paid about $450 apiece for them brand new, WITH the Davison's Gallery of guns lifetime guarantee.

They are now going for as much as $600-$700 on GunBroker.

Glad I got mine when I did! Every last deer I've shot at with that Marlin has ended up in my freezer, and all with just one shot.

Yes, I like my Marlin!

jghelton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    May 12, 2010
    logansport IN
    henry are cool , but that wasnt listed as the potential buyers option. I have 2 marlin 44 mags one older one newer, only problem i have is which one i take to the woods ! Never owned a rossi so i cant say good or bad on personal experience but i have handled one and wasnt impressed

pricedo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Life Member NRA & GOA
    henry are cool , but that wasnt listed as the potential buyers option. I have 2 marlin 44 mags one older one newer, only problem i have is which one i take to the woods ! Never owned a rossi so i cant say good or bad on personal experience but i have handled one and wasnt impressed

Henry's are cool but they're also very heavy for the caliber & expensive. Not many including me would want to carry one of these through the bush. And the so-called "brass" is nothing but fake mystery metal.

The Marlins that were made after the Remington takeover are garbage with cheap plastic magazine followers & quality control has gone down the toilette. If you can get an used Marlin made before the takeover then get it.

The Rossi R92 is a basic no-frills and quite functional gun and quite a bit less money than either the Henry's or the Marlins. I have 3 of them and they function flawlessly. I replaced the plastic magazine followers with metal ones I obtained from Steve's Gunz.

Of the 3 brands mentioned I would pick the Rossi hands down.:rockwoot:

rn7554

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have a Marlin 1894 in .44mag and love it. I am wondering though what is the 39a that you speak of SBCman? I don't believe I have ever seen one of those. Never mind I looked it up and now want one you are right about the disease I also want a 336 not sure if I want it in 30/30 or .35 Rem though. I don't mean to hijack the thread but which would be better in your guys opinions if you have any experience with either caliber?
    I have 336 and I love it.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    i have both.....2 rossi's 1 45 Colt 1 38/357mag and 1 marlin in 30-30.....all three are great rifles but the rossi's are built tougher than the marlin.....:twocents:

pricedo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Life Member NRA & GOA
    i have both.....2 rossi's 1 45 Colt 1 38/357mag and 1 marlin in 30-30.....all three are great rifles but the rossi's are built tougher than the marlin.....:twocents:

5 years ago I would have said just the opposite but since the Remington takeover the statement is true.

The simplicity of the 92 design is largely responsible for the toughness of the Rossi 92s.

John Browning:patriot: was a big believer in the KISS:yesway: principle (Keep It Simple Stupid).

Fewer moving parts means fewer potential problems.

My goto gun brands are now Savage:rockwoot: for bolts and Rossi:rockwoot: for levers.

The new Winchester/Browning/Miroku Japchesters are way too expensive, the Henrys are too heavy and Remington/Marlin quality control is gone the way of the Dodo bird & Passenger Pigeon. :(

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I bought a used Rossi .44 mag at a gun show about 1 1/2 years ago. I can't remember what the problem was but I hated it. I took it to Whittakers and they gave me what I paid for it toward a Marlin which I love. The Marlin functions perfectly and is accurate as heck.

Chapparal

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 16, 2011
    B'town
    My Marlin only feeds the Winchester red box .44 REM MAG, it does not like any others. Outside of that, it is a tack driver and in better hands than mine consistently puts the shot in the same hole.

No choice on the Rossi v Marlin US Manufacture!

Wife's Browning is EXCEPTIONAL!!!! IF you can find one chambered in .44MAG that is!

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Given a choice between a pre-Remington Marlin 336C like the one I owned in .35 Remington and a pre-childish safety Rossi Puma 92 I would be hard pressed to make a choice.

They are both quality guns.

I always had a preference of 92s that were close to John Brownings original specs.

That would preclude the Braztech R92 model with the idiotic, unsightly & unnecessary lawyer safety on top of the receiver.

I would buy NEITHER of the post-Remington Marlin nor the post-childish safety Braztech R92.

I have 3 pre-childish safety Amadeo Rossi SA Puma 92s in .357 Mag, .44 Mag & .454 Casull & am very happy with them.

^^^^ I agree about the post Remington Marlin... My .44 mag is a looser. Shoots high and left to the point it takes shimming and special rings because you cannot correct it enough by cranking the scope reticles over. Total bummer!

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    I own Henry, Marlin and Rossi levers and can say honestly that the Rossi 92 is my favorite of the bunch hands down. They are all fine rifles but in my opinion (I am entitled to an opinion, I'm not relaying that of a buddy who told me or something I read somewhere, but because I actually own and shoot these guns) the Rossi is superior to the others, it is accurate, light weight, has the stout John M. Browning model 92 action and is extremely well constructed.

The only thing I would change if I bought a new Rossi would be to remove the bolt safety and install a peep sight in its place to fill the hole. The half cock position is there for a reason. Another great feature of the Rossi is that the top eject makes it more user friendly for us left handed shooters.

Also, many confuse the Rossi Puma and Puma Rifles assuming they are the same, they are 2 completely different companies with hugely different price points. :twocents:

pricedo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Life Member NRA & GOA
    I bought a used Rossi .44 mag at a gun show about 1 1/2 years ago. I can't remember what the problem was but I hated it. I took it to Whittakers and they gave me what I paid for it toward a Marlin which I love. The Marlin functions perfectly and is accurate as heck.

The Rossi R92 is a $400 gun.

The new Miroku made Japchesters in the same calibers are $1500.

That big discrepancy alone tells you there has to be a trade-off somewhere.

That trade-off is quality control.

One Rossi coming off the assembly line could be a winner and the very next one behind or ahead of it could be a piece of junk.

They go straight into the box as they come off the line without any further adieu.

You DON'T buy a Rossi by mail order or off the rack without giving it a close and careful inspection & function test cause doing it that way is a crap shoot.

I picked my guns off the rack and thoroughly inspected & tested them before buying.

Even better buy the guns from a shop that will let you live fire test them before buying.

I would apply the same process to the new "Marlingtons".

You don't need a big fancy lathe & power grinder to touch up a Rossi.

I used a 3 sided file and a grindstone mounted on the end of a power drill to polish the rough spots off of mine.

The DVD from Steve's Gunz of Texas will give you an idea what to do and by all means GET the metal magazine follower.

After trimming a couple of spring my Rossis are slicker than frog snot.

Last edited:

pricedo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Life Member NRA & GOA
    I own Henry, Marlin and Rossi levers and can say honestly that the Rossi 92 is my favorite of the bunch hands down. They are all fine rifles but in my opinion (I am entitled to an opinion, I'm not relaying that of a buddy who told me or something I read somewhere, but because I actually own and shoot these guns) the Rossi is superior to the others, it is accurate, light weight, has the stout John M. Browning model 92 action and is extremely well constructed.

The only thing I would change if I bought a new Rossi would be to remove the bolt safety and install a peep sight in its place to fill the hole. The half cock position is there for a reason. Another great feature of the Rossi is that the top eject makes it more user friendly for us left handed shooters.

Also, many confuse the Rossi Puma and Puma Rifles assuming they are the same, they are 2 completely different companies with hugely different price points. :twocents:

Puma is a registered trademark owned by LSI.

Rossi used to make the Puma 92 rifle for LSI and now Chiappa makes the Puma rifle.

Chiappa Pumas are 1/2 the gun for 2X the price of the Rossi 92.

If you want a real walnut stock get the Chiappa Puma.

If you want a gun that works & shoots good get the Rossi.

pricedo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Life Member NRA & GOA
    My Marlin only feeds the Winchester red box .44 REM MAG, it does not like any others. Outside of that, it is a tack driver and in better hands than mine consistently puts the shot in the same hole.

No choice on the Rossi v Marlin US Manufacture!

Wife's Browning is EXCEPTIONAL!!!! IF you can find one chambered in .44MAG that is!

The Browning B92 without a doubt was the BEST model 92 lever action rifle ever made.

I include the original Winchester 92s in that comparison.

The Browning clones display excellent workmanship & are made of modern steel that will stand up to modern high power loads.

Many of the old Winchesters that were converted to .357 & 44 fell apart from the pounding of the higher pressure modern cartridges.

Unfortunately they don't make the Browning B92s any more.

Top Bottom