• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SteveG66

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Easy, buy them both!!!

Seriously, Colts hold their value, RRA's just run and better bang for the buck if it's not going to live in a safe.

Good luck and either is not a bad choice.

joshennis84

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    Bloomington
    I've got to say I'm suprised to here so much go for the colt. I really feel like rock river trully takes care of their customers. I've never dealt with colt myself but my uncle has gotten mad at them a few times over service. I'm not saying colt doesn't make a high quality and fine firearm, but so does rock river for much less as well. I've heard people talk about resale and if you ever do want to sell it then colt might be your choice only because of resale. I like colt firearms as much as anybody else, I just hate to pay the prices when you aren't getting as much for your money.

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    I have always wanted a Colt 6920 LE. I have a Bushmaster and a Sendra and they are both great rifles as I am sure the RRA would be. There is just something special about the Colt that makes me want to ad to my collection.

jacobswell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Warsaw
    Picked up the new rifle today!!! COLT 6940 I will put somewhere around 1500 to 2000 rounds through it in the next week:ar15:. I'll let everyone know how it runs. Thanks for all of the imput. I still plan on picking up a Rock River, I just need to git rid of a safe queen first. Any suggestions on a good RR model?

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Picked up the new rifle today!!! COLT 6940 I will put somewhere around 1500 to 2000 rounds through it in the next week:ar15:. I'll let everyone know how it runs. Thanks for all of the imput. I still plan on picking up a Rock River, I just need to git rid of a safe queen first. Any suggestions on a good RR model?

Entry Tactical

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany

I'm interested to hear your comments on that model. I've been considering one of those, but was wondering about special tools that might be needed. Is it true you need a special wrench to remove the barrel? Is there anything else different about that model (besides the obvious) and the LE-6920?

mkbar80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    I'm interested to hear your comments on that model. I've been considering one of those, but was wondering about special tools that might be needed. Is it true you need a special wrench to remove the barrel?

I've heard this as well, but wasn't sure if it was in reference to their new piston rifle or the 6940. If I can find it I'll post it here.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Is there anything else different about that model (besides the obvious) and the LE-6920?

I don't know all the differences, but here's a picture for reference.

coltpromo.jpg

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    Thanks guys. In the newest edition of Guns & Ammo there is an article about the LE-6920 & LE-6940. The author really has a lot of good things to say about the 6940, but cautioned about special tools. I've heard before you need a special barrel wrench and in the article it states you have to send the entire upper back to Colt for barrel replacement!

That might be a deal breaker, unless the tools are available soon.

The 6940 is darn good looking carbine, but I don't know... sending off the upper for work???

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    I've heard this as well, but wasn't sure if it was in reference to their new piston rifle or the 6940. If I can find it I'll post it here.

I keep seeing that reference to a Colt AR piston for some time now. A model 1040 or such? Are they really doing this or just R&D?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    having to send the upper off for work, to me, would defeat the benefits of going with that version of the AR... there are models out there, just as nice, just as ergonimical, just as reliable, that can be serviced with less than 50 bucks worth of tools, on your living room floor.

jacobswell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Warsaw
    2171 rounds and I love it BUT it's a bit on the heavy side, the stock feels like a cheap toy and the sights are only just ok. First basic setup is a Aimpoint, Tango Down forword grip and a Magpul single point sling. 3 FTE, 9 FTF all with wolf. All other brands went in and out with no problems. The extra weight helped with felt recoil and was still easy in tight QCB runs. I would give it a 7.5+ out of 10. The only 10 I have ever given was on a buddy's LWRC. After a few changes in the setup I will rate it again. This rifle will have a bright future with a few changes.

mkbar80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    I keep seeing that reference to a Colt AR piston for some time now. A model 1040 or such? Are they really doing this or just R&D?

Haven't looked around hard...saw some trade show pics on lightfighter or M4 a while back so it does exist in some form.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    the stock feels like a cheap toy

I feel this way about all the 'standard' adjustable stocks.

A Magpul CTR did the trick for me. It's light, strong, and well made. The included rubber butt-pad provides friction to keep the stock planted in your shoulder, and offers some minor recoil absorption. Wobbly stocks are another pet-peeve of mine, and the backup friction-lock is awesome. The enclosed triangle design keeps me from accidentally engaging the adjustment lever with a sling or other objects. There is also an attachment point for a QD sling swivel.

Plus, it looks cool. :D

mkbar80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Colt Piston Carbines

In the interest of avoiding a thread jack, I've found some info on this and will start a new link with the above title.

Top Bottom