• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I'll say it, I'm not a fan. The few I've held I wasn't impressed, they do seem lighter than most GI 1911s though.

I work with a guy who's grandson picked up a RIA, and it's jammomatic, even using factory mags and Chip McCormick mags. He took it to a gunsmith friend of ours and the guy gutted the factory parts and put hammer forged parts in it, and something about that RIa just refused to work, it still jams.

Said gunsmith in above story specializes on 1911s, and he's had to work on way more RIAs than any other brands for repairs. Bent sear pins are a common issue so then the parts are fitted wrong. He's had to weld existing holes and re drill them to perfect verticle. And some were just so fubared from the factory that they needed a new frame (which RIA did supply).

All brands have their issues, ranging from Kimbers that just don't want to work right (.45s and their factory .22s), Colt magwells being so tight that the magazine had to be beat out with a screw driver and a hammer, and Smith's extractor pins working down and locking up the slide on the frame.

But, it seems like of all the 1911 brands, most issues have been with RIA.

Just because RIAs are made in the Philippines and so are Springfield GIs, doesn't mean they are of the same quality.

Okay, just my :twocents:

Wheezy50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    I have a full size RIA tactical 1911, and really like it. It is my first 1911 so i cant compare it to the other more "high-end" brands, but it goes bang everytime i pull the trigger. It is a very accurate shooter and just a pleasure to take to the range.

daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    I have one in 9mm, gun does fiine no problems so far not the prettiest gun around but it shoots good. I carry it often and it's reliable so I guess pretty doesn't matter.

slyton

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Albany
    Agreed with above^^^
    If i could find one that cheap i would pick it up in a second.
    The RIA i just aquired was used a bout 50 more expensive. Took it to the range once so far. Does not seem to like to strip off the first round out of a full mag. Also I can;t slowly feed a round by easing the slide close, got to just let it slam shut. Might just need polishing on the feed ramp. But over all I am happy with mine, just need to get it out to the range more.

eurobeaner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012
    just picked one up myself. i like it. its a nice entry level "lets see if i like this gun before i dump $1300 on a high quality one" gun. i paid $420 for mine. my wife is happy. i am happy. very accurate with the first ~50 rounds through it. i need to hit the range with more ammo this time. took 250rds of 38 special and 357 mag for the revolver, ended up emptying the rock out more than the revolver... then about 10 minutes later i ran out! haha

Spikedog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    Lafayette
    I got a compact a couple of weeks ago and love it. I got a good price on it new and it is a good quality .45. It does the same thing as pistols costing alot more.

Top Bottom