• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • robbyslaughter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2024
    Indiana
    I'll start with, as unconstitutional as these gun laws are, its a massive encroachment and they need to go away.
    It's important, I believe, to understand that gun laws aren't the only part of modern American life which is wildly unconstitutional. The framers intended for Congress only to pass laws that were stated within the expressed and limited powers in Article I, Section 8. But practically everything the Federal government does today in some way exceeds those limited powers. Some of that has been actively encouraged by the court system, but a lot of it has simply been accepted by the people.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I am not familiar with this issue, so I would have to do some reading. But generally speaking, taxes are an awfully archaic way for governments to raise funds and I am support of finding ways to reduce or eliminate them.

I also tend to dislike taxes that are applied to a small set of the population. If we are going to have a tax, it is usually better if it is widespread. This ensures that the representatives passing the law are accountable to more people.

My general understanding that in a given year very, very few Americans will be involved in an NFA transfer. Given that information it sounds like a bad tax to me, at least on the surface.

If you think it is essential that I read up on this particular issue and want to point me to a source, please let me know.
    The PR act was for money to be set aside for the sportsman's use with building and maintaining ranges to shoot, hunt, buy property and things of that nature.
    Some of that property is in use buy the general public. I'm not aware of any other of my God given Rights that I'm Required to pay a tax on.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    It's important, I believe, to understand that gun laws aren't the only part of modern American life which is wildly unconstitutional. The framers intended for Congress only to pass laws that were stated within the expressed and limited powers in Article I, Section 8. But practically everything the Federal government does today in some way exceeds those limited powers. Some of that has been actively encouraged by the court system, but a lot of it has simply been accepted by the people.
    Long Exhale, gun encroachment laws are nothing new. Maryland first anti gun law was around 1886 if I recall correctly.

robbyslaughter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2024
    Indiana
    Now, we have actually expanded gun Rights across America in the past 2-4 decades.
    I think this point is a little debatable. Yes, many states have expanded individual rights (concealed carry is notable example.) But at the federal level, laws like the Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990 and Bipartisan Safer Communities Act of 2022 have reduced individual rights.

Outside of the legislatures, we've seen quite a few changes in the court system. But I think courts shouldn't be making laws.

ZurokSlayer7X9

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    Much obliged. It's also worth pointing out that as a future member of the House of Representatives, I need to be educated on a huge variety of topics from healthcare to education to foreign policy to military affairs to taxation to space exploration and so on. I care about the issues your members are discussing here, but I will never have the opportunity to spend as much time on them as you all have.

That's why I am here, to learn from you, and to share what I am learning from others.
    You at the very least have my respect for coming on here and chatting with us. Power gap and inequality is one of the reasons why governments become tyrannical, and discussions like this can alleviate that IMO. I wish you luck and can't say I envy you as the task of bringing traditional and honest values into the woodchipper that is our national political landscape is a near impossible task. Calling it an uphill battle would be an understatement.

And don't mistake some of my cynicism for pessimism or disagreement. I agree with a lot of what you said so far and also believe there is more reason to be optimistic in the gun community now than in the past decade. However, there are a lot of factors in the political landscape that want the total obliteration of the other side. They have said it and made it very clear what their intentions are, and are radicalized to the point of taking any divergence as a hostile move against them.

robbyslaughter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2024
    Indiana
    Long Exhale, gun encroachment laws are nothing new. Maryland first anti gun law was around 1886 if I recall correctly.
    Well that was almost a century after the Constitution was signed. I mean to point out that the Federal government has been doing things that the Constitution doesn't allow since the nearly the beginning. Thomas Jefferson, for example, conducted the Louisiana Purchase without the Constitutional authority to do so. To his credit, he wanted an Amendment to provide this power. But he couldn't get one and made the purchase anyway.

robbyslaughter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2024
    Indiana
    I'm not aware of any other of my God given Rights that I'm Required to pay a tax on.
    I suppose one could say you have the right to drive a car or smoke tobacco, both of which you pay taxes on. And you have the right to own property and have to pay taxes on that (but only at the state level.) Or the right to earn an income, which is taxed.

But I think we're getting well beyond the theme of your forum ;)

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I suppose one could say you have the right to drive a car or smoke tobacco, both of which you pay taxes on. And you have the right to own property and have to pay taxes on that (but only at the state level.) Or the right to earn an income, which is taxed.

But I think we're getting well beyond the theme of your forum ;)
    Well, long time ago a man at Marylands DMV told me while he was tearing up my then, paper drivers license. Mr Smith, driving is a privilege not a "Right"
    There are many things that give the The State, reason for one not to drive on the road. I have to pay for the privilege to drive in the USA.
    Same with using tobacco, you pay for the privilege to buy tobacco through the State at the store.

Neither one of those is a God Given Right to me as a citizen of the USA.

Now what plans do you have for the gun owners if you are successful in gaining office for not only Indiana, but as a Congressman for the citizens of America?

robbyslaughter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2024
    Indiana
    Now what plans do you have for the gun owners if you are successful in gaining office for not only Indiana, but as a Congressman for the citizens of America?
    See reply #37. if you have follow-up questions or would like me to expand on a certain point, please let me know. Or if you have additional resources that I should read, please let me know.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    See reply #37. if you have follow-up questions or would like me to expand on a certain point, please let me know. Or if you have additional resources that I should read, please let me know.
    @robbyslaughter

You are not in my district, so consider this outsider unsolicited advice.

I want constitutionalists to represent me. Simply put that means those I vote for need to demonstrate they have read the constitution of the state of Indiana and the United States of America, and for local offices the town charter etc. They need to convey they will honor their oath of office in their actions. For those who have been elected and taken office I watch their votes. Once selected I do not care what you say, I care what you do.

Due to the horrifically poor education that most Americans receive about their own government I strongly encourage you to read works which are contemporaneous to the Constitution and the immediate aftermath of its ratification. At least written during the time those who developed the Constitution were alive.

Among the works I strongly recommend reading are:

Commentaries on the Constitution by Justice Joseph Story. Relative to this forum you may find paragraphs 1000, and 1,001 (first edition printed 1833) to be illuminating. A favorite passage from justice story includes "§ 1001 . The importance of this article will scarcely be doubted by any persons, who have duly reflected upon the subject. The militia is the natural defence of a free country against sudden foreign invasions, domestic insurrections, and domestic usurpations of power by rulers. ... The right of the citizens to keep, and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic; since it offers a strong moral check against the usurpation and arbitrary power of rulers; and will generally, even if these are successful in the first instance, enable the people to resist, and triumph over them."

I also suggest Blackstone's Commentaries: With Notes of Reference to the Constitution and Laws, of the Federal Government of the United States, and of the Commonwealth of Virginia : In Five https://a.co/d/4VXyfHx and
    William Rawle Jr
    A View of the Constitution of the United States of America
    These documents will help set a foundation based upon the contemporaneous understanding of the Constitution of the United States of America. Unless the Constitution is amended that is the meaning of the current document.

Finally simply look at my signature block, the second part. Our government at the federal and state level strayed long ago from its actual remit. The federal government especially is limited in the authority granted it by the people. You need to look no further than the constitutional justification on most legislation to realize how far astray Congress has wandered.

Regardless of what they want to do the restrictions of the Bill of Rights apply. Most especially the restrictions presented by the 9th and 10th amendments. Elected servants complying with their oath would be unwilling to vote into law much of what is currently on the books if the 9th and 10th amendments were respected.

Mr Vivek Ramaswamy spoke of a 75% reduction in the federal bureaucracy. Large parts of it should be 90 to 100%. If the Constitution is to be complied with.

Last edited:

robbyslaughter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2024
    Indiana
    I want constitutionalists to represent me. Simply put that means those I vote for need to demonstrate they have read the constitution of the state of Indiana and the United States of America, and for local offices the town charter etc.

See post #1 in this thread.

Among the works I strongly recommend reading are:
    Thank you for these suggestions. I am familiar with some, but not all of them.

Mr Vivek Ramaswamy spoke of a 75% reduction in the federal bureaucracy. Large parts of it should be 90 to 100%. If the Constitution is to be complied with.
    Virtually all of what the federal government does today is beyond the limited powers outlined in Article I. But, this is nothing new (as I stated in reply #46) although today it is far more expansive than ever before.

Midwestjimbo

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Highland
    Nothing new doesn't make it right. It has to start somewhere. Someone needs to start the fire that clears the field of the weeds.... Speaking metaphorically of course.

robbyslaughter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2024
    Indiana
    Nothing new doesn't make it right.
    I didn’t say it was right. It is not rights. I want to be clear that an institutionalized failure to follow the Constitution is a longstanding problem.

I find that when speaking with many Americans they feel all virtually all the problems in our government were caused by whichever recent administration they don’t like.

robbyslaughter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2024
    Indiana
    It is not "one" administration that caused this. My point is it starts with one... It also will end with one. Will you be the one that starts us on the path to a Republic we can all be proud of?

I swear to uphold, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States of America.

Fire Lord

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Around Franklin
    I swear to uphold, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States of America.
    I like your enthusiasm, but that phrase doesn't mean much anymore. Nowadays, nearly all swear that oath and then turn and use the Constitution for TP. Too many have fought, bled, and died for it and us.

I'm just skeptical. We've been let down too many times, even by a Marine.

I'm glad you came and answered questions. I'll give you credit for that.

TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle
    I met him at Top Golf in Fishers. He's responsive and willing to have a conversation. I'm not familiar with his politics but I can stand behind that's trying to apply logic and actively listening.

Everyone wants to goad and say, "I got him!" to anyone with that's attempting something difficult.

Top Bottom