• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Respondeat superior, "When applied to physical torts, an employer/employee relationship must be established (meaning that no vicarious liability is established for work performed as an independent contractor) and the act must be committed within the scope of employment (i.e., substantially within time and geographical limits, job description and at least with partial intent to further employer's business). etc"

So, if carrying a gun is outside the scope of employment, why would a corporation be held responsible?
    If someone does something stupid, and shoots a customer accidently, seems to me the individual would be the target of a lawsuit. Don't think it should be the corporation, unless it is part of his duties.
    Of course, then people couldn't get their free money from the bad corporations.

Last edited:

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Maybe we should have a Letter writing campaign to Kroger's and let them know we support them and will continue to support them possibly in the Future...
    Or that if they capitulate, we can always take our custom to another vendor?

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I think this is a duplicate. It is ridiculous to sue Kroger because an employee didn't follow their own discretionary policy. It is as if saying "Kroger policy is that the employees can't have guns, and my son was counting on that when he robbed them, so it is just not fair!"

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    The apparent argument is that it wasn't the BOY that was responsible for his death because of committing a criminal act, it was KROGER that was responsible for his death because it didn't adequately enforce a company policy preventing employees from exercising rights protected under state law.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Respondeat superior, "When applied to physical torts, an employer/employee relationship must be established (meaning that no vicarious liability is established for work performed as an independent contractor) and the act must be committed within the scope of employment (i.e., substantially within time and geographical limits, job description and at least with partial intent to further employer's business). etc"

So, if carrying a gun is outside the scope of employment, why would a corporation be held responsible?
    If someone does something stupid, and shoots a customer accidently, seems to me the individual would be the target of a lawsuit. Don't think it should be the corporation, unless it is part of his duties.
    Of course, then people couldn't get their free money from the bad corporations.

Here is a more complete explanation: http://encyclo.findlaw.com/3400book.pdf

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I think this is why a lot of places post the " no guns allowed" and have policies about employees carrying firearms. They are all just afraid of being sued over stupid stuff like this. With a robbery the guy might have got a few hundred dollars. They will spend that on lawyer fees in an hour. They to start making the loser pay all legal fees in these rediculous lawsuits.

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Open and shut case Kroger wins.

Well of course Kroger wins. But they point is that they will have to pay their lawyers more to show up to claim the win than they will to settle and make this go away. That is why we have frivolous lawsuits; they work.

Top Bottom