Road rant inspired by the funny picture thread.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Traffic still moves at the speed of the slowest driver in the contruction zone. The backed up line of traffic will be shorter but you'll still only go through the zone as dictated by the speed of the drivers in front of you. At the zip point, you'll still have to slow down and allow traffic to merge and the traffic will back up depending on the volume of traffic at the time.

What we really ought to be complaining about is why do they create construction zones for such lengths that causes us to poke along at 45mph for miles while no work is occurring and the road is serviceable for many of those miles.

So then why should everyone get mad? Not saying you do, but so many people are saying people like me are immoral for doing this. Hey, I get it. I used to get mad at those people too.

But I realized back when the Sherman Minton Bridge was closed for several months and EVERY DAY was a two hour trip one way, maybe the lane zippers aren't actually evil. Maybe I'm wrong. One day I looked at the emptier "closed ahead" lane and then looked at the long line of bumper to bumper traffic in the open lane and decided this was insanity. That's a whole lot of lane space being wasted for miles and miles.

Yes, after you get to the closed lane, traffic in the remaining lane can only go as fast as the slowest car. But if you're merging miles before the lane closure, aren't you creating miles more of that situation? Why do that when there are miles of 2nd lane that could be put to use?

Don't get mad at me for thinking of this as a more efficient way. And, maybe it's not a lot more efficient than early merging. But I don't get high blood pressure much anymore from getting pissed at the lane zippers.

I still get pissed at the spot hoppers though.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    So then why should everyone get mad? Not saying you do, but so many people are saying people like me are immoral for doing this. Hey, I get it. I used to get mad at those people too.

But I realized back when the Sherman Minton Bridge was closed for several months and EVERY DAY was a two hour trip one way, maybe the lane zippers aren't actually evil. Maybe I'm wrong. One day I looked at the emptier "closed ahead" lane and then looked at the long line of bumper to bumper traffic in the open lane and decided this was insanity. That's a whole lot of lane space being wasted for miles and miles.

Yes, after you get to the closed lane, traffic in the remaining lane can only go as fast as the slowest car. But if you're merging miles before the lane closure, aren't you creating miles more of that situation? Why do that when there are miles of 2nd lane that could be put to use?

Don't get mad at me for thinking of this as a more efficient way. And, maybe it's not a lot more efficient than early merging. But I don't get high blood pressure much anymore from getting pissed at the lane zippers.

I still get pissed at the spot hoppers though.

Do the construction zone signs instruct the drivers to use both lanes as shown in that video?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I'm not sure who the *******s are out there, the ones who try to jump ahead and cut in line or the ones who refuse to let them.

HOWEVER...

I know that when there is a long line in the right lane and in the left lane is a semi, intentionally going slowly and keeping pace with another in the right lane, creating a rolling roadblock, the traffic moves smoothly, with everyone coming up behind the semis merging in slowly, over time. This works until the right lane semi slows to let the left lane guy merge in and suddenly, the left lane a half-mile back behind him who now see a clear lane decide to start jumping ahead again.

Take from that anecdotal evidence whatever you wish, but I see that pattern repeated regularly. :dunno:

Blessings,
    Bill

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Here's what the Indiana Driver's Manual instructs new drivers on how to do it:

image.jpg1_zpsdorajoyk.jpg

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'm not impacting you. How about not projecting your road ethos on me?

If you're barreling up on the right and then cutting in you are. You see, the more cars that do that the longer it takes ME to get to and past whatever is impeding the traffic. The more cars squeezing in the longer it takes. Simple as that.

I don't care what kind of lame math anybody pulls out. More cars squeezing in does not equal less time per car behind them.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    These "mergers" only do this crap to me while I am driving my bus or my BMW... Never my truck with the push bar. Wonder why that is!

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    If you're barreling up on the right and then cutting in you are. You see, the more cars that do that the longer it takes ME to get to and past whatever is impeding the traffic. The more cars squeezing in the longer it takes. Simple as that.

I don't care what kind of lame math anybody pulls out. More cars squeezing in does not equal less time per car behind them.
    /Thread

Or when you take my braking space away from me and the person behind me on their cell phone rear ends me because I stopped shorter than we all expected.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Do the construction zone signs instruct the drivers to use both lanes as shown in that video?

I've seen them in other states. I'm not sure I've seen any since I've lived in Indiana. Not sure I ever will. I think the ethos in Indiana is incompatible with zipper merging. I don't mean that as an insult. It's just that you guys don't seem too open to the possibility that people who use the closing lane aren't necessarily *******s.

And it does take some courtesy to make it work. And having been a zipper hater myself, I understand that it's hard to be courteous to people you think are *******s.

I developed a system I use for handling lane closures so that I can feel like I'm impacting traffic as little as possible. I've spent so much time sitting in stop and go traffic, observing things that make traffic worse, and I try not to do those things. It's important to me not to negatively impact or hinder others on the road.

If I merge early, I'm impacting traffic more than if I do what I've learned to do. Merging early I'm yet another participant in the accordion. If I use the open lane that's closing, it's usually moving and I have little impact on that. And the way I merge into the lane that's staying open, I have no real impact on the cars behind me. There is always an accordion. There is always a snoozer or a dawdler in the accordion. Always. I never have to stop, which is the mistake that the ******* "zippers" make. If you stop, it's very hard to get back in without impacting others. Taking advantage of people that can't get out of their own way, they're going to impact you no matter what I do. So I find them and merge in front of them.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    These "mergers" only do this crap to me while I am driving my bus or my BMW... Never my truck with the push bar. Wonder why that is!

I had a van pull into my 13 year old 200,000 Grand Am. Driver telling me "Look what you did". I told her all I did was drive in my lane. She came into my lane.

Another driver tried to pass me IN THE BREAKDOWN LANE.
    I-65 crossing 80-94.
    Problem was, no breakdown lane on the overpass.
    He started coming at me in a big truck. Still had the NEW TRUCK STICKER.
    Ha ha ha. Guys with $40,000 trucks don't move $100 cars.
    He had to liberally use the brakes.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm not sure who the *******s are out there, the ones who try to jump ahead and cut in line or the ones who refuse to let them.

HOWEVER...

I know that when there is a long line in the right lane and in the left lane is a semi, intentionally going slowly and keeping pace with another in the right lane, creating a rolling roadblock, the traffic moves smoothly, with everyone coming up behind the semis merging in slowly, over time. This works until the right lane semi slows to let the left lane guy merge in and suddenly, the left lane a half-mile back behind him who now see a clear lane decide to start jumping ahead again.

Take from that anecdotal evidence whatever you wish, but I see that pattern repeated regularly. :dunno:

Blessings,
    Bill

This. It is all to important to get 10 cars ahead and sit in line.

Jack-wagons.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

The bottle neck is what it is. It's going to be there whether everyone merges early or not. The merging part is a wash. Zipper merging gets you to the bottle neck faster. The traffic starts to back up closer to the bottle neck rather than further away. Think of it this way. How many single file cars can you fit in two miles? How many miles is that when you fit the same number of cars in two lanes?

I'd much rather run the speed I'm running a mile longer, and reach the slowed traffic a mile from the bottle neck than sitting in it two miles before the bottleneck. Using the capacity of the 2nd lane allows traffic to condense to a shorter distance before the bottleneck.

I've described how I do it. I know we don't use zipper merging in Indiana. But I believe that it impacts fewer people overall to do it. I don't want to hold you up. I'm sure you don't want to be sitting in that traffic jam any longer than me. So I'm not using that lane to be an *******. I'm using it because I think I'm impacting traffic less.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Don't lose track of the fact that you don't know who you are dealing with. Tuff guys sometimes get met by tougher ones. You just might be saying :nono::nono::nono: to some loon who just left bodies on the floor.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I don't know. I'm reading your accounts of drivers, and, I thought traffic was horrible in Louisville. Sheesh. Indianapolis must be the ******* driver capital of the Midwest.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I've described how I do it. I know we don't use zipper merging in Indiana. But I believe that it impacts fewer people overall to do it. I don't want to hold you up. I'm sure you don't want to be sitting in that traffic jam any longer than me. So I'm not using that lane to be an *******. I'm using it because I think I'm impacting traffic less.

then pull in behind me. If you are in front, you're holding me up.

Top Bottom