• ...and so much more!
  • TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Rayne and a few others practice by shooting CMP Rimfire Sporter events at the Bedford Contingent Gun Range. The event dates and times are posted on the Bedford Contingent Facebook page.

No excuse now for not getting better for next year.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Aaron,

Glad you got to compete at Camp Perry at the CMP Rimfire Sporter Nationals! You're absolutely spot-on, as it relates to a fun event for all. I encourage anyone to give it a try. The facility is fantastic and there is very little cost-of-entry. Very good value overall. You'll shoot along side excellent teen shooters and competitive military marksman...all on the same line. It's awesome!

I shot Relay 2 (Telescopic Class): 584 - 30x with a Ruger 10/22 (Volquartsen barrel) to earn a gold. I then shot Relay 3 (Open sight Class): 553 - 8x with a CZ455 and got a bronze. The first year I shot, I didn't earn any medals at all.

This is my third year to give it a go...and I'll definitely be back!

Darrell Hammer

I shot a 540-7x not good enough for a medal this year,I was shooting an AR with irons on it, I am still very pleased with my score.
    this match was slightly different from the high power matches I shoot, I have shot the modern military match at both the club level and at Perry.
    This match was so much fun to shoot, I hope every one will give it a try! I will be shooting a double entry next year.

You said you were in relay 3.....what firing point? I was at the low end on 35

Aaron

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Rayne and a few others practice by shooting CMP Rimfire Sporter events at the Bedford Contingent Gun Range. The event dates and times are posted on the Bedford Contingent Facebook page.

No excuse now for not getting better for next year.

I saw there match listed on the CMP competition tracker web page......I may have to make this match.....but I think there next match is when I shoot NRA 80 hhhhhmmmmm

I will be there at least once this year!

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I shot a 540-7x not good enough for a medal this year,I was shooting an AR with irons on it, I am still very pleased with my score.
    this match was slightly different from the high power matches I shoot, I have shot the modern military match at both the club level and at Perry.
    This match was so much fun to shoot, I hope every one will give it a try! I will be shooting a double entry next year.

You said you were in relay 3.....what firing point? I was at the low end on 35

Aaron

Fantastic job Aaron! I believe I was on firing point 58, or thereabouts, for the 3rd relay. Shot on 43 during the 2nd relay.

Hope to see you in Bedford sometime for a little rimfire sporter, perhaps yet this year! Maybe we can share some thoughts on your high power experience. I've been toying with the idea of trying it, but I just have so much fun with rimfire. I've got the rifle and most of the other required gear for service rifle, just haven't committed to making it happen.

One thing I really like about the CMP rimfire sporter is that it's not a gear race necessarily. No fancy jackets, no $12,000 rifles, no $3,000 scopes, no reliance upon bipods or bags, no reloading costs/time, no extra weight put in rifle, no 2-stage 6oz triggers, etc. It's really more about your skill than your rifle (for the most part). I also enjoy shooting from all 3 shooting positions, which seems to be a little more realistic and practical with regards to life in general.

Darrell

dbg326

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2018
    Wells, ME
    The parts are rolling in for the significant other's rifle! All that has to be ordered is the Tactical Innovations receiver.

Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 3-9x40 arrived today, and the Kidd 556 barrel is set to be delivered tomorrow.

Already received the BX trigger, Ruger bolt, VQ extractor and bolt release, and the Magpul X-22 Hunter. Need to get that in for the cerakote job.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I like the idea of shooting another CMP rimfire sporter match but I've got to cut back on some hobby time. Bedford round trip is ~3 hours for me (CMP Rimfire Sporter shoots). FCVCC only ~40 minutes (NRA Smallbore shoots).

I sent my CMP Sporter gun to my sister. Hoping she gives a Revere's Riders class a try using it. That gun runs fantastic now with the Kidd bolt. Darrell can confirm how bad the factory bolt & extractor were in that Magnum Research gun.

I kept my NRA Smallbore 10/22 Kidd gun. I really think with some more practice that I can shoot multiple 100 point targets @ 100 yards.

Last edited:

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Fantastic job Aaron! I believe I was on firing point 58, or thereabouts, for the 3rd relay. Shot on 43 during the 2nd relay.

Hope to see you in Bedford sometime for a little rimfire sporter, perhaps yet this year! Maybe we can share some thoughts on your high power experience. I've been toying with the idea of trying it, but I just have so much fun with rimfire. I've got the rifle and most of the other required gear for service rifle, just haven't committed to making it happen.

One thing I really like about the CMP rimfire sporter is that it's not a gear race necessarily. No fancy jackets, no $12,000 rifles, no $3,000 scopes, no reliance upon bipods or bags, no reloading costs/time, no extra weight put in rifle, no 2-stage 6oz triggers, etc. It's really more about your skill than your rifle (for the most part). I also enjoy shooting from all 3 shooting positions, which seems to be a little more realistic and practical with regards to life in general.

Darrell

Darrell,

I will so meet up with you at a match soon!

I agree this CMP rimfire sporter match is more of a shooters game then an equipment game, plus you shoot all 3 positions with an offhand rapid that's neat! This matches have so helped my high power game!

I do shoot high power in CMP matches because it's not near the equipment game NRA matches are, with CMP matches you shoot "as issued" service rifles, unlike NRA matches where match rifles can (and do cost many thousands of dollars) , my CMP equipment is RRA NM AR ($1000 new) coat & glove (creedmoore $300 new) mat (used $35) spotting scope and stand (used $250) so not ridicules in price as compared to my buddies Y2K Tubb gun ($3500 used) he uses for NRA matches.....
    I do like to shoot rimfire for fun, training and competition.......and I do not see myself stopping anytime soon......now all of,that being said 3p smallbore can be an expensive game to get in to where a good used Anschutz smallbore rifle can cost $1250 to $3000 plus coat mat ect.......

I put on a rimfire sniper match at my club over the summer....wow was that a hoot....maybe we can organize a INGO rimfire sniper match ?

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    I am so glad TJ told me about this thread on INGO. I have been so busy that I haven't stopped by INGO in a while. Rimfire Sporter is a lot of fun and easy to get into. I run the matches at Bedford and we have three left this year. They are September 7th, October 5th and November 9th. Anyone who says shooting rimfire is easy hasn't shot the sporter match. 55fairlane, I sure hope you decide to join us for a Sporter match yet this fall. I along with Darrell would like to pick your brain on high power shooting at Atterbury and would like to hear more about the long range sniper rimfire match your club held. I was just a few positions to your left on firing point 28 for relay 3 and firing point 23 for relay 1. Hope to shoot with you soon.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Found a cheek rest/riser for the Henry that I liked and helped tremendously. I made a short trip this evening to the range and really enjoyed shooting the Henry, but had to quit since the sun was going down. Achieved my goal of 1moa with it, shot a 0.508" group at 50 yards with CCI SV, backed up by another group of 0.523". I am having so much fun with rimfire right now and glad to see that everyone else is as well.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I managed to squeak out a win in NRL22 tonight.

Due to the earlier sunsets coming we will have to switch to having it on weekends in the next month or two. I'm hoping this will enable some of you to make it down for a match.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I managed to squeak out a win in NRL22 tonight.

Due to the earlier sunsets coming we will have to switch to having it on weekends in the next month or two. I'm hoping this will enable some of you to make it down for a match.

:rockwoot:That is so cool gmcttr!!!

Top Bottom