• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I certainly have enjoyed following your epic journey: much to be learned from you.
    I am looking forward to another range visit with you this summer, but you've really been busy hopping from one match to another!
    Next range time it will be more than just a couple of CZs with a little bit of .22LR pistol/revolver steel time, but will be you be teaching me how to shoot at 50 yds., and if you want to get a good laugh, 100 yds., of which I cannot imagine.
    My little Nikon 3-9 x40 scope that came on my Ruger 10/22 Mannlicher probably won't even see that far.

25, 50 or 100..............you shoot them the same, just adj scope or hold for distance.
    Target size can be changed to help with aiming if need be.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    25, 50 or 100..............you shoot them the same, just adj scope or hold for distance.
    Target size can be changed to help with aiming if need be.

Can't wait to find out with 2 different people that I plan to get with at outdoor ranges to try out more manly distances than the 50' I'm doing now, and Point Blank in Greenwood, I have some free passes, and they have 75' at least, but I haven't made it there yet: too busy with Retirement. :laugh:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    10/22 nearly done. Will get a black Kidd bolt at some point down the road. This is the 'before', what I started with-
    OILqIff.jpg

And this is what it became today- Black Bart!

rvWWNqT.jpg

Sighted it in and shot many strings on a few stages today and man oh man- it is sweet! Kidd single stage trigger, Kidd ultra light barrel and V block, Magpul Hunter 22 stock. The weight and how it's balanced rearward makes for a fast swinging muzzle and combine that with a great trigger and this rifle will shoot steel!
    Very happy!

Very nicely done! I have and really like the Magpul Hunter 22 as well.

CZ Top

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2017
    Vigo Co.
    Very nicely done! I have and really like the Magpul Hunter 22 as well.

Thanks, '88! I've only shot this set up once so far and not a lot then, but it's real dang promising. Hope so- I'll be shooting it tomorrow in the Area 5 Steel Challenge.
    There are tons of 10/22 stocks available to choose from, but I like the options to change this for preference, LOP and cheek height, and if I want to add a bipod that'll be easy too. And it seems to be well made and durable. A close second was the Hogue overmolded stock, and I still may check one of those out at some point.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Headed to MCF&G this morning with 88. Gonna try out the RART again, as well as Annie. Hope to be able to get some lollipops busted before anyone else gets there... :yesway:

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I guess ill play in this thread. Recently picked up a stock 10/22.

Any tips on modding factory parts for better trigger? On my other 22s ive always gone the drop in throw money at it approach but the budget doesnt currently allow for that.

Im gonna do the auto bolt release mod but looking for tips to improve the trigger and anything that can be done to the stock to improve accuracy.

Ive read removing the barrel band sometimes helps? Is this true?

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Some 10/22 will do better without the barrel band, others won’t. Only way to know is to try.

I’ve not tried improving the factory pieces, but I’m sure polishing things like the sear would improve the trigger. I’d check YouTube and proceed slowly. The Kidd trigger job kit makes an awesome trigger for ~$100, add the spring kit for another $6. The Volquartsen hammer and sear would make an improvement for $84, I’ve heard good things about that trigger but I haven’t tried it.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    You can get a much improved trigger pull by just swapping in a target hammer.
    Volq for $30
    You can also mod/stone your factory hammer to get darn close to the drop in.

That will put you into a position to see where money needs to go.

My Volq hammer is good enough IMHO. I shoot sub .5" at 50 yards with such a rig (match ammo).
    No, it aint perfect. But it's good enough.
    It is not the weak link in the system at this point.

Break in, ammo selection.............then maybe bolt work (running factory bolt- no mods).
    After that, then maybe upgrade the trigger.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    IMHO depends on what one wants.

Clean up a factory rig on the cheap?
    Make a factory rig into a better shooter but look factory ( CPC barrel rework)?
    Moderate build (diff stock and bbl)?
    Or just go all out?

IMHO if not going to have bbl or stock changes, no need to buy top end trigger.
    Target hammer might be good enough.

They are for me.

I know a guy with a full Kidd build.
    Nice rifle. Benched..............does well.

But he can't shoot well without a rest.
    So for a hunting gun..............he can't use what he paid for.

If one just wants to brag about how much $ they spent...........might as well go w top tier trigger at the start.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven

Any tips on modding factory parts for better trigger? On my other 22s ive always gone the drop in throw money at it approach but the budget doesnt currently allow for that.

Im gonna do the auto bolt release mod but looking for tips to improve the trigger and anything that can be done to the stock to improve accuracy.

ANY trigger upgrade!! Aftermarket barrel ....your rifle will come alive!

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Anschutz 64 metallic silhouette rifle ..... sightron 4x12 scope in Burris signature rings,.....trigger is currently set at 9 oz
    amoco gas station near me

Shot not great groups, but not bad either for A) having full sun in my eyes, B) using my range bag to shoot off of and C) just having my head rattled by shooting (a personal) NRA 80 match with my 03a3 service rifle

CCI-SV acted like high velocity ammo as compared to SK or Eley

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Anschutz 64 metallic silhouette rifle ..... sightron 4x12 scope in Burris signature rings,.....trigger is currently set at 9 oz

Shot not great groups, but not bad either for A) having full sun in my eyes, B) using my range bag to shoot off of and C) just having my head rattled by shooting (a personal) NRA 80 match with my 03a3 service rifle

I can't behoove that you got three Remington Thunderturds thay close together. :rockwoot:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

Very nice! :yesway:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy

There's a ton of free 10/22 mods to do. There's even some cheap but very effective ones as well (like mentioned above).
    Polish / stone hammer or VQ hammer
    Polish bolt & radius the bottom rear of bolt
    BB pressed into the bolt trick to better hold the firing pin in place (way easier than doing a "drill and roll pinned" firing pin)
    Polish the bolt face to correct head space <- a bit tricky but helped mine immensely!
    Sanding / bedding the stock <- I used hot melt glue & it worked fantastic

Like mentioned above, free floating a 10/22 doesn't always help. Removing barrel bands doesn't always help. I have seen some interesting tricks with RTV down the hand guard part of the stock that produced some nice group improvements.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Interesting day at the range this morning. At 100 yards the RART only had one group out of 8 that was good. It was just over MOA (1.05"). The rest were 1.5" or worse. I'm guessing it's not the gun, but me. I switched over to Annie at 50 yards and was able to do three groups at just over .50" and one that was ~.36" using Wolf Match Target:

0cZsNAhh.jpg

Then I got the RART back out and dialed it in at 50 yards using just CCI SV. Most groups were just okay, but then I had this one:

s2m7erVh.jpg

Aside from the flier it was an awesome group. Gonna keep it dialed in at 50 yards for now.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Anschutz 64 metallic silhouette rifle ....

Love that stock. I don't know why I don't own an Annie.

Interesting day at the range this morning. At 100 yards the RART only had one group out of 8 that was good. It was just over MOA (1.05"). The rest were 1.5" or worse. I'm guessing it's not the gun, but me...

Some .22lr ammo falls apart at 100 yds and does not hold the same size groups in MOA that they do at 50 yds. I'm guessing the RART did not have the ammo it wanted this morning.

Top Bottom