• ...and so much more!
  • mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Gary, occasionally there is a gem out there in rimfire land for less than a CZ that shoots as well or better. Doesn't happen often. If you have the extra retirement funds, the new Tikka and the Steyr Zephyr are also excellent choices new to the table.

I’ve never owned a Tikka but the few centerfire models I’ve been around at the range have been very accurate and well made.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I’m not a fan of high magnification, it hurts more than it helps for me. I spend most of the time between 3-6x. Much above that and the loss of quick acquisition and stability cause problems for me. I tend to shoot off hand or improvise a rest more than I actually use a rest. Thinking about it, I don’t think I’ve really tried for groups with a rifle in probably 8 months. I’ve had a lot more fun picking off lollipops or ringing steel lately.

My wife much prefers bench resting and prefers more magnification. She is vey much the one that has enjoyed shooting for groups more so lately.

Everyone is different on this front and what they like. Just isn’t a single right answer when it comes to optics.

Since I mostly punch paper, I’m more like your wife in my usage.

I can’t afford two scopes for this rifle (nor the hassle of swaps) so I went with the least magnification that lets me see impact at 100y.

Its a bit much for hunting but mostly what people think of as excessive magnification is really just poor FOV. This SWFA at 10x gives surprisingly similar FOV as my 2-7x Nikon originally bought for the rifle. And if I wasn’t mostly punching paper, I’d probably go back to the 2-7.

The Nikon has FOV of 12.8ft at 100y and 7x. The SWFA has 10.5ft at 10x. Multiply FOV by magnification to normalize and you’ll see the SWFA gives up less FOV than the larger magnification might suggest.

Last edited:

Haven

Network Warlord
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    This weekend was a big weekend for Rimfire at the house. I had picked up a Tasco 3-9x32 .22 Riflescope for my Ruger 10/22. The rings that came with it don't work with the picatinny rail. So a new set of rings was procured, and I got the scope mounted on the 10/22. After looking through it a bit (I haven't been out to the range yet to get it dialed in). I liked it enough to pick up a second one for my Dad's Winchester 190. The rings don't work with the 3/8" dovetail on the 190. So I found a dovetail to picatinny, and that arrived today. The rings for the 190 are on order and won't be here till next week.

I also picked up a Heritage Rough Rider "Lady Luck" as well. So the next time I get to the range it looks to be a bunch of Rimfire stuff going on.

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    I put the TK parts I mentioned up thread in my 22/45 tonight.

In typical fashion, I tore it apart and didn’t pay attention to how it went together. I had to reassemble it several times, but I got it right in the end. Now I REALLY know a 22/45 inside and out.

It shoots really well and I’m quite pleased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I put the TK parts I mentioned up thread in my 22/45 tonight.

In typical fashion, I tore it apart and didn’t pay attention to how it went together. I had to reassemble it several times, but I got it right in the end. Now I REALLY know a 22/45 inside and out.

It shoots really well and I’m quite pleased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad it turned out well! The parts really do help these pistols out.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Thanks to several posters in this thread and a fellow HHRP member I talked to Monday, I have spent much of today on the net looking at the CZ 457 Varmint MTR, Lithgow LA 101, Kidd and Volquartsen Summit receivers (and barrels), Lilja barrels, Manners stocks, etc.

Fortunately I am so confused at this point that nothing is apt to be ordered soon. Otherwise I very well might have dropped big $$$ today befor even thinking about glass.

One might say I dodged the bullet.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Thanks to several posters in this thread and a fellow HHRP member I talked to Monday, I have spent much of today on the net looking at the CZ 457 Varmint MTR, Lithgow LA 101, Kidd and Volquartsen Summit receivers (and barrels), Lilja barrels, Manners stocks, etc.

Fortunately I am so confused at this point that nothing is apt to be ordered soon. Otherwise I very well might have dropped big $$$ today befor even thinking about glass.

I spent time today reading about some of the CZ variants of the 457 myself today.
    And, a Savage FV-SR/ Boyds AT-One Stock.
    jgYc1Qa.jpg

Ended up buying a Ruger 22/10 Carbine with a Nikon scope from a member.
    MODEL NUMBER: 1132 CALIBER: 22 LR
    StockBlack Laminate Mannlicher
    Front Sight Gold Bead
    Rear Sight Adjustable
    MaterialStainless Steel

Thread PatternN/A
    Twist 1:16" RH
    Capacity 10
    Finish Stainless Steel
    Weight 7.6 lb.

online pics:
    C2bOuY1.jpg

RkazBbZ.jpg

xFQFOmk.jpg

Last edited:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

I feel your pain. I'm thinking hard about a Ruger American Rimfire Target:

https://ruger.com/products/americanRimfireTarget/specSheets/8360.html

I spent time today reading about the some of the CZ variants of the 457 myself today.
    And, a Savage FV-SR/ Boyds AT-One Stock.
    jgYc1Qa.jpg

MODEL NUMBER: 1132 CALIBER: 22 LR
    StockBlack Laminate Mannlicher
    Front Sight Gold Bead
    Rear Sight Adjustable
    MaterialStainless Steel

Thread PatternN/A
    Twist 1:16" RH
    Capacity 10
    Finish Stainless Steel
    Weight 7.6 lb.

online pics:
    C2bOuY1.jpg

RkazBbZ.jpg

xFQFOmk.jpg

Congrats doddg. If it's like my 10/22 it might not be a tack driver stock, but at least there are plenty of ways to fix that ;)

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis

I very much want to build a Summit based rifle. The action on that is slick.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I very much want to build a Summit based rifle. The action on that is slick.

Hopefully, Volquartsen has worked out the extraction issues that came with the early ones.
    Very simple cam-over center action. Uses shim washers to set headspace and proper action tension. Not as slick as the Izhmash actions, but kinda cool, nonetheless.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Good morning at the range with 88 this morning. It was raining, pretty hard at times, so the groupings weren't great, but we had the range to ourselves almost the entire time and that was enjoyable.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    SNIP 8< SNIP 8< Snip 8<

SNIP 8< SNIP 8< Snip 8<
    Very nice rifle. Next step is to attend a Revere's Riders Basic Rifle course and learn how to really dial it in ( https://www.reveresriders.org/ ).

There are two Basic Rifle courses remaining on the Indiana calendar this year.

The first is the Marty Brown Memorial Open, 03 - 04 August at the Bedford Contingent Gun Range. This is a 2-day event that covers basic pistol instruction one day and basic rifle instruction the next and it supports a GREAT cause.

The second is also at the Bedford Contingent Gun Range, 21-22 September, and is a 2-day basic rifle only. You will get more time to work with your rifle at this event.

Looking forward to seeing some of the rimfire shooters (and their fancy firearms) from this thread out on the line at one or both of these events.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I feel your pain. I'm thinking hard about a Ruger American Rimfire Target:

https://ruger.com/products/americanRimfireTarget/specSheets/8360.html

Congrats doddg. If it's like my 10/22 it might not be a tack driver stock, but at least there are plenty of ways to fix that ;)

I was told about that.
    I know there is an $50 - $80 trigger assembly that can be dropped in bringing the 5-6# trigger down to 3#, which could be fun.
    I'll see how it goes at the range.
    First thing I have to do is get out the Ruger Charger I bought months ago and was saving for this summer, and see how close it comes to the 1132 model.
    I doubt if both will habit my safe, which means the Charger will have to go.
    I bought the Charger to keep me from having to get a rifle: I should be careful on which threads I read. :dunno:
    Last summer I started reading the CZ thread, and I have owned 8 of them since, with 3 still in my safe.
    Hopefully, I'll behave myself with rifles. :coffee: I'll have to be more careful what I read: I'm impressionable. :lmfao:

Last edited:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I was told about that.
    I know there is an $80 trigger assembly that can be dropped in bringing the 5-6# trigger down to 3#, which could be fun.
    I'll see how it goes at the range.
    First thing I have to do is get out the Ruger Charger I bought months ago and was saving for this summer, and see how close it comes to the 1132 model.
    I doubt if both will habit my safe, which means the Charger will have to go.
    I bought the Charger to keep me from having to get a rifle: I should be careful on which threads I read. :dunno:
    Last summer I started reading the CZ thread, and I have owned 8 of them since, with 3 still in my safe.
    Hopefully, I'll behave myself with rifles. :coffee: I'll have to be more careful what I read: I'm impressionable. :lmfao:

Yep, completely understand ;)

Top Bottom