• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    The union movement of the early 20th century created the middle class in America, I don't think that can be denied or even argued.

Sure it can be argued. One does not necessarily follow the other. Increased production and the industrial revolution was the number one reason for the creation of a middle class. In fact, I can make the argument that the union movement retarded the growth of a middle class.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Union participation was always less than 10 percent prior to pro-union Federal Legislation in the '30s and '40s.

To say that 7% of the work force steered the other 93% seems kind of silly to me.

Even after Taft-Hartley and Wagner, the majority of workers were not represented.

The union has always represented a minority of the work force, and as Dross said, it can very easily be argued, that they retarded economic growth in this nation, by artificially driving up the price of goods, among other reasons.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    The union movement of the early 20th century created the middle class in America, I don't think that can be denied or even argued. However this is the early 21st century and unions seem to be doing nothing for workers except protecting the jobs of the unworthy. Unions are obsolete just as is the Edsel and their standard retirement and health care benefits which are never funded through investment but only load more debt onto the employeer are killing them and this country.

America was "a nation of shopkeepers" well before the union movement took hold. What unions DID do was pressure employers to provide safe working conditions and higher wages, which made more money available for the "middle class" to accumulate, save, spend, and invest. You could argue that the new-found ability to "invest" in business ventures was what increased the "upper class" and made the "middle class" more prosperous.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Oh look, the democrats are still on vacation...6 days now? $1,000 fine for each day starting yesterday....maybe they will go broke

R.G.Gray

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2011
    No one should be forced to pay union dues. Everyone has a right to work.
    It's time for Indiana to return that right to work to the people.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Hey, good news, guys.
    AFL-CIO is talking about picketing the Super Bowl!
    Yeah! Make those one-percenter football players cross a line and be called SCABS.
    That'll sure help the Demoncraps and the unions.

rooster007

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    KINGDOM OF CLERMONT
    HEY GUYS GUESS WHAT , OUR UNION IS EXEMPT FROM INDIANA'S RIGHT TO WORK ,AND WE ARE EXEMPT FROM YOUR BLEEDINDG HEART LIBERALS (PROGRESIVE) OBAMA CARE UNTIL 2018 HEALTHCARE . GUESS WHAT UNION I BELONG TO . THINK ABOUT WHAT POS CANIDATE YOU VOTE FOR . CAUSE I KNOW A BUNCH OF YOU VOTED FOR HOPE AND CHANGE . YOU HAVE GOTTEN WHAT YOU ASKED FOR

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I've got several friends that have been going down to represent their union. Some of their comments trying to get support have been pretty funny and kind of pathetic. Most of them have short memories too as they hated the company they work for before they got into the union. A couple of them also hate that they're only making $1-2 more an hour than another manufacturer a couple miles from their front door that does the exact same thing and isn't unionized.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    HEY GUYS GUESS WHAT , OUR UNION IS EXEMPT FROM INDIANA'S RIGHT TO WORK ,AND WE ARE EXEMPT FROM YOUR BLEEDINDG HEART LIBERALS (PROGRESIVE) OBAMA CARE UNTIL 2018 HEALTHCARE . GUESS WHAT UNION I BELONG TO . THINK ABOUT WHAT POS CANIDATE YOU VOTE FOR . CAUSE I KNOW A BUNCH OF YOU VOTED FOR HOPE AND CHANGE . YOU HAVE GOTTEN WHAT YOU ASKED FOR

why are you shouting?

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I've got several friends that have been going down to represent their union. Some of their comments trying to get support have been pretty funny and kind of pathetic. Most of them have short memories too as they hated the company they work for before they got into the union. A couple of them also hate that they're only making $1-2 more an hour than another manufacturer a couple miles from their front door that does the exact same thing and isn't unionized.

Sorry, that's not possible. Unions ensure that workers make twice what their non Union counterparts make, so i am told..

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Sorry, that's not possible. Unions ensure that workers make twice what their non Union counterparts make, so i am told..

It should be at least 3 times their non union counterparts. This world sickatates me sometimes. I don't see how they can live on their low wages.

Top Bottom