• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    In the movie lone survivor, walburg carries a AR with a silencer or is it just a flash suppressor ? In the movie the rifle he is useing sounds like it is a silencer, but it is just a movie.... I thought that silencers had to shoot sub sonic ammo and not regular 5.56/.223 ammo, I don't know crap about silencers or suppressors so thats why I ask the question.... Also one other question in the movie they all jump off a cliff 2 diffrent times and they end up doing some hard falls, but there guns scopes seem to still be on is this correct/possible too ? If so what scopes are they useing in the movie ??? Ive never been in the military so these questions my be stupid to some..... Thx for any insight on these questions, thats why INGO rocks.

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    For 99% of center fire rifle caliber suppressors, if the diameter allows, it can be used on super or subsonic 5.56/.223. That part is completely sound and logical. The fall and drop of the scope? Totally doable with the right scope. Some are built better than others. No clue on the actual make and model of then ones in the movie since its not right in front of me right now. Hopefully I answered everything to your satisfactory.

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    I think Wahlberg carries a Mark 12 Mod 1 SPR (Special Purpose Rifle) in Lone Survivor. Nice stick, but it's a step down from the Mod 0 in my opinion. Of course, nobody asked me. :)

You can shoot supersonic ammo through the OPS Mk 12 suppressor used on this rifle, as you can with most suppressors. The difference will be that supersonic ammo will generate a sonic crack all along its flight path until it crosses the transonic range somewhere far downrange and becomes subsonic as a result of aerodynamic drag.

I didn't immediately recognize the scope used in the movie, but you can hammer a sixteen penny nail into a fencepost with a Leupold Mk 4, which is one of the approved scopes for use with the Mk 12 Mod 0/1 rifles, and then bolt it right back onto the rifle and go to work. They're not built quite the same as a Tasco.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    i was under the impression that suppressors are still a advantage with supersonic ammo, im not sure why but i thought they increased accuracy and upped velocity just a bit. i doubt thats true though.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    i was under the impression that suppressors are still a advantage with supersonic ammo, im not sure why but i thought they increased accuracy and upped velocity just a bit. i doubt thats true though.

the increase in velocity and any change in accuracy (either + or -) is usually pretty negligable.

There are many advantages... removing the a lot of the 'boom' from the gun while still having the 'crack' of the bullet often makes cartridges like 223 -almost- hearing safe, improves communication among team mates, etc. Also, it makes it harder for an enemy to determine where a shot came from if all they hear is the crack of the bullet vs the boom of the gun. Finally, silencers work well as compensators to reduce recoil and as flash hiders. Asside from a little extra weight and length, they are full of win, even with supersonic ammo.

-rvb

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    He's using a MK12 Mod1 built by the guys at High Caliber Sales here in Indiana. The correct suppressor for it is the Ops Inc, but he used a KAC in the film. If you get a chance, go to the Indy 1500 and speak with the guys that built it at AJ Browns table. Super nice guys and they do top notch work. AJ worked at Crane for years, and helped design several spec-op type weapons.

Top Bottom