• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mwmccormick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 30, 2009
    Seymour
    I discovered a very positive review from the 1911 ezine on the RIA Match 1911. It typically goes for around $600. My primary use would be USPSA. There is a used 1911 for 350 in the classifieds that is very tempting if RIA's are decent guns but I don't think it is the match version. I only know what I've read online but I trust this communities opinion. I don't have Kimber money at this time and I really am intrigued with the 1911 platform.

The Match model I was looking at seems to competition ready however I saw a Taurus on Buds that seems to have all the bells and whistles for around the same price. I just wanted to hear if anyone has any hands on with RIA 1911's and if there is any reason I shouldn't pursue it. From what I can tell it seems to be the best VALUE for the money, not neccessarily the best 1911.

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    The Match model I was looking at seems to competition ready however I saw a Taurus on Buds that seems to have all the bells and whistles for around the same price. I just wanted to hear if anyone has any hands on with RIA 1911's and if there is any reason I shouldn't pursue it. From what I can tell it seems to be the best VALUE for the money, not neccessarily the best 1911.

Taurus before RIA, not that I have anything against RIA but they are hard to work with.

If you can spring a little more I suggest a Springer, but Taurus is a good place to start. Now, if you want to learn the platform buy a mil-spec model and pay about $100 to work it up.

I don't like RIA because the are dense metal not easy to work with. They are very tight framed even with the lowest end model, if you want a competition gun then that is what you want, but you said you don't. Get one that wont break so easy.... :twocents:

mwmccormick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 30, 2009
    Seymour
    Taurus before RIA, not that I have anything against RIA but they are hard to work with.

If you can spring a little more I suggest a Springer, but Taurus is a good place to start. Now, if you want to learn the platform buy a mil-spec model and pay about $100 to work it up.

I have noticed the SA's go for a decent price used as well. Aren't Taurus and Springers made in the same place (brazil)? I think there may still be a GI model in the classifieds. It seems like I have read that some Taurus are hit and miss with the quality. I'm not opposed to purchasing used as I have found that most non-competition guns have a low round count. I definitely want it for competition primarily. Could you clearify what "tight framed" means? I have an idea, I just want to understand a little better.

Last edited:

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I have noticed the SA's go for a decent price used as well. Aren't Taurus and Springers made in the same place (brazil)? I think there may still be a GI model in the classifieds. It seems like I have read that some Taurus are hit and miss with the quality. I'm not opposed to purchasing used as I have found that most non-competition guns have a low round count. I definitely want it for competition primarily. Could you clearify what "tight framed" means? I have an idea, I just want to understand a little better.

Everything fits tight, the bushing is tighter. Rack back a RIA and then a SA or Taurus- the RIA will not have any play the others will. It makes for a slightly less reliable gun. But if you want a competition gun then you will want that.

Yeah, they ate made in the same place but there are differences.

mwmccormick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 30, 2009
    Seymour
    I don't mean to be a moron, but I always thought tight tolerances were desired? When you say less reliable do you mean that it may not feed correctly? My CZ SP01 has no play in the slide that I'm aware of and so far has been very reliable. The review I referenced stated that the RIA Match even ran hollow points which apparently 1911's have trouble with. I, of course don't really know if that's true or not.
    Please forgive, I'm learning that I have a lot to learn regarding pistols.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    RIA 1911s are good pistols. and the customer service far exceeds taurus and can rival Springfield's.

I bought one gently used for $350 and it was an excellent range blaster- ate every type of ammo i fed it, including the cheap steal cased stuff.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I don't have experience with the match version, but do own an RIA Compact. I've been happy with it from day one. It's accurate and reliable, but a little on the heavy side. I think any full steel 1911 will come in at about the same weight though. I just swapped a C&S extended thumb safety in this weekend and like the gun even more now. It compares well to the Kimbers I own in operation and is a lot easier to take down for cleaning.

nirol

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    I am very surprised to read a nod for a Taurus over a RIA.

To the OP, I'd do some serious reading on some 1911 sites before you opt for a Taurus over RIA...

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Ummmm.... There were a few Springfields that were made in Brazil for a short period of time. They are all now made in Illinois.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    all SA slides and frames are forged in brazil. if the SN starts with NM, then it is fitted/assembled in the US with enough parts to not have to be branded "Made in Brazil." My Loaded is one such example.

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I don't mean to be a moron, but I always thought tight tolerances were desired? When you say less reliable do you mean that it may not feed correctly? My CZ SP01 has no play in the slide that I'm aware of and so far has been very reliable. The review I referenced stated that the RIA Match even ran hollow points which apparently 1911's have trouble with. I, of course don't really know if that's true or not.
    Please forgive, I'm learning that I have a lot to learn regarding pistols.

Tight tollerances are "desireable" by some. Target shooting mostly.

When you have a tight frame the gun can lock up when dirty. You have to clean them more.

I have shot plenty of GI 1911s that are made for reliability.

I dare you to try the 6000 round test with a target made 1911, the Browning designed model passed with NO problems. A kimber would probably fail because they are so tight, any powder build up would severly effect the performance.

IMHO tight tolerances are only valuable for tater shooting.

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    all SA slides and frames are forged in brazil. if the SN starts with NM, then it is fitted/assembled in the US with enough parts to not have to be branded "Made in Brazil." My Loaded is one such example.

XDms are forged in Croatia... Not sure about the XDs

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I've owned both the RIA and the Taurus. Life is simply too short to deal with Taurus; I kept the RIA. Competition pistols are a whole different animal. It's snowing outside, so you have time to read and research and perhaps find members who can help you gather information and fill in some blanks before making a decision.:twocents:

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Again, my humble suggestion Taurus PT1911 if you want less of a headache. I am not bashing the RIA, it's a cheap gun. You get what you pay for and IMO with the RIA you get a VERY good deal for your money.

They both have good customer service etc. I would want a compensated barrel for. .45 competition gun or even a bushing.

You really need to make the decision based on other details because all being equal the only difference is that RIA is a harder metal. It will be easier to work with A Taurus. The RIA does not have a stainless model, they are either parkerized or nickel (I think) so after any work you will need it recoated

Wesley929

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    NW INDY
    Love my full frame RIA. It has been nothing but reliable and joy to shoot. Plus it is cheap enough that the money saved can be spent on upgrades if you desire. Mine is still exactly the same as the day I brought it home.

Last edited:

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Go to a match and see what's being shot. Talk to shooters and find out what they like in their 1911s.

If you want a cold recommendation, take a look at STI. The base models aren't terribly expensive and the company caters somewhat to the competitive shooter.

mwmccormick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 30, 2009
    Seymour
    Well, based on what you guys have replied with...I'm still on the fence. It's hard to get away from the brand x is better than brand y conflicts. STI however is way more than I can afford. I've been reading on 1911's for a month or so, this wasn't a cold recommendation thread.

Basically I really can't go over $650. I would like to spend less if at all possible, maybe it's a pipe dream. Like everyone I want to get the most value for my money. I just wasn't sure if going for the RIA Match which seems to be competition ready as well as the Taurus, or getting a less expensive used Springer and building it up was the better path to take.:dunno:

This is the review that got it started The M-1911 Pistols Organization E-zine

Now there is one more interesting possibility. The new Remington 1911. The reviews have been pretty positive on this gun as well but it isn't neccessarily competition ready, but it's base price would allow me to play a little over time. What do you guys think of that? I know its new and not many have probably had a chance to investigate it themselves.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom