• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Well, based on what you guys have replied with...I'm still on the fence. It's hard to get away from the brand x is better than brand y conflicts. STI however is way more than I can afford. I've been reading on 1911's for a month or so, this wasn't a cold recommendation thread.

Basically I really can't go over $650. I would like to spend less if at all possible, maybe it's a pipe dream. Like everyone I want to get the most value for my money. I just wasn't sure if going for the RIA Match which seems to be competition ready as well as the Taurus, or getting a less expensive used Springer and building it up was the better path to take.:dunno:

This is the review that got it started The M-1911 Pistols Organization E-zine

Now there is one more interesting possibility. The new Remington 1911. The reviews have been pretty positive on this gun as well but it isn't neccessarily competition ready, but it's base price would allow me to play a little over time. What do you guys think of that? I know its new and not many have probably had a chance to investigate it themselves.

If I recall, 21st Century has the R1 listed on their year end sale page for well under $600. You might want to check that thread out.

EDIT: It's on the list, check to see if they have any in stock still: 2010_Sale

roundball

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    nine mile wa.
    RA

I bought a Rememington A1 about 3 months ago. I paid .$560.00 for it New. It is the one that is a lot like the ones used in WW2. Just 7 shot. It comes with those white 3 dot sights. I had to learn point of aim shooting with it, but I think I will like point of aim. It has a nice trigger.

quicksdraw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    East Central In.
    I haven't got any experience with the RIA Match, yet. But I own an RIA compact and a full size tactical and love them both. No FTFs, no FTEs, no other problems in 500+ rounds each. I'm even considering adding a nickel plated RIA to the mix.

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I think you are safe with any of them for the money. RIAs are not a bad gun, Taurus isn't either. All the guns you have listed are decent pieces, just stay away from American tactical unless they are stainless steel.

Just make sure you tell us so we can see your acquisition.

D2VW14_20

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Scottsburg In
    I held a RIA and it felt heavier on the back end and sounded ..... movie-ish. I went with a Taurus PT1911 and have had no issues at all. I clean after every use (as I do with any gun). No FTF or FTE . I use it and a .380 Bersa as an EDC now. I have zero complaints about the Taurus.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Taurus before RIA, not that I have anything against RIA but they are hard to work with.

If you can spring a little more I suggest a Springer, but Taurus is a good place to start. Now, if you want to learn the platform buy a mil-spec model and pay about $100 to work it up.

I don't like RIA because the are dense metal not easy to work with. They are very tight framed even with the lowest end model, if you want a competition gun then that is what you want, but you said you don't. Get one that wont break so easy.... :twocents:

Tuarus guns tend to be built to different specifications than the other 1911A1 models use. This makes after market parts hard to come by. While many 1911 parts need to be fit to the gun, there is a huge aftermarket of parts you can use in standard build 1911's. Where as the tuarus will be what it is. Plus it has that internal safety which I personally disdain. Do some reading on the tuarus 1911'[s and you should see many common issues popping up around teh 1.5k round mark.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I've owned two of the lower-priced 1911's (RIA and American Standard). I can honestly say I never had an issue with either one. I only sold them to make room for other purchases, but they are solidly made and are not finicky with ammo.

Now, I'm just starting to investigate competition shooting, but I would think it's an adequate gun to start with. Drawing, acquiring the target and engaging appears to have a lot of tricks that can only be learned by practice and learning from those with experience. Like many have already said, I would do some research, including checking out some other threads about holsters, belts, ammo, etc.

Just recalling the classifieds on INGO, I have seen decently priced RIA's sell pretty quickly, while others sit there a while. It may be the price, but it could be the RIA's come with a good reputation for solid operation, for the money spent.

mwmccormick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 30, 2009
    Seymour
    I've owned two of the lower-priced 1911's (RIA and American Standard). I can honestly say I never had an issue with either one. I only sold them to make room for other purchases, but they are solidly made and are not finicky with ammo.

Now, I'm just starting to investigate competition shooting, but I would think it's an adequate gun to start with. Drawing, acquiring the target and engaging appears to have a lot of tricks that can only be learned by practice and learning from those with experience. Like many have already said, I would do some research, including checking out some other threads about holsters, belts, ammo, etc.

Just recalling the classifieds on INGO, I have seen decently priced RIA's sell pretty quickly, while others sit there a while. It may be the price, but it could be the RIA's come with a good reputation for solid operation, for the money spent.

Actually I run a CZ 9mm in USPSA but was interested in trying single stack as well. All the comments like "a 9mm is a .45 set on stun" may have got to me (not really) a bit.You and the other posters have summed up was I was feeling which is RIA is a good VALUE for the money. Maybe not the greatest gun made but a solid performer that would leave me with mag and holster money. The obvious problem with the .45 is ammo cost. Way up there compared to 9mm.

As always I thank the community for all the input and advice. I think it's time for me to find an RIA 1911, hopefully the match or tactical version. Likely I'll hold out until I see one come across in the classifieds.

Top Bottom