Mar 21, 2008
    6z7rc2.jpg

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    LOL I love you guys too!

BTW, if it was just the electricity that killed you, we'd all be dead since we all have an amount of electricity running through us from conception until death... Trust me, it's the amps that kill you.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Make the sleepy students grab the terminals on a car battery. Those things are packed full of amps! Deadly cold cranking amps.;)

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Do this...!

Rhino,

When you're feeling down about teaching, just ask yourself "What would Prof. Lugenbiel do?" and then do the exact opposite. Since he was an amazingly poor instructor, you're actions are sure to garner love and admiration from all the young minds in your classes!

Problem solved....next?

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Is not Kinetic energy the only true form of energy? Thermal is really kinetic(at least when you see it at the atomic level). Electrical is just an electron being pushed by another electron. Mechanical is just a bunch of kinetic energy acting on other parts. And even chemical is just a heat exchange on a molecular scale(ie kinetic...see Thermal).

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Is not Kinetic energy the only true form of energy? Thermal is really kinetic(at least when you see it at the atomic level). Electrical is just an electron being pushed by another electron. Mechanical is just a bunch of kinetic energy acting on other parts. And even chemical is just a heat exchange on a molecular scale(ie kinetic...see Thermal).

Thats a good question.

Are we paying rhino for lessons or is this a pro-bono class?

:popcorn:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    HOLY CRAP! THAT IS FREAKIN' BRILLIANT!

I know notasccrmom will understand as well!

For those not in the know, the professor mentioned below is one of the worst teachers (perhaps the worst) and one of the most unpleasant human beings to ever be employed by Rose-Hulman.

Rhino,

When you're feeling down about teaching, just ask yourself "What would Prof. Lugenbiel do?" and then do the exact opposite. Since he was an amazingly poor instructor, you're actions are sure to garner love and admiration from all the young minds in your classes!

Problem solved....next?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Well, it's one half of the two basic forms. I divide the whole schlemeil into 1) Potential Energy and 2) Kinetic Energy. Potential energy is the energy of position; kinetic energy is the energy of motion.

All forms of energy fall into one of those two major divisions (and sometimes both, like electricity ... arguably). I would say that you can't classify all energy as kintetic. It would be tough to classify gravitational potential energy or elastic potential energy as "kinetic," as it would be equally difficult to argue that the electric potential energy stored in a capacitor is kinetic energy, as it is not the motion of the electrons per se that results in the potential, but rather the physical separation of the charges (i.e. their relative position).

In the vernacular of physics and engineering, "mechanical energy" is simply the sum of the kinetic energy and the potential energy (on a macroscopic level). They are both associated with conservative forces and conservative work, so mechanical energy is always conserved. So when I use the term, I am using it with a specific definition, and not referring to the energy possessed by a mechanism in a general sense.

The tricky stuff arises when you start talking about heat and thermodynamics. "Heat" is a transfer mechanism for internal energy, and not something you can store or hold or keep. I'm not sure, but I think (at least my text book), "thermal energy" refers primarily to something like geothermal energy, which would be internal energy of some piece of the Earth. Internal energy arises because of the motion of molecules (translation/vibration/rotation), but it also represents potential energy on a macrosopic scale since internal energy naturally flows from higher to lower potential. So you could say it's both, kind of like the various aspects of electricity.

My understanding of electricity per se is far more limited, but even with electric current, the energy is stored in the electric field created by the electric potential. Charge is moving (although the physical translation of an individual electron is slow), but things happen because of the electric field.

This may boil down to an issue of semantics, at least partially. How you categorize energy is going to depend on your context, much in the same way taxonomy for life forms depends on the context of the classifier.

Last edited:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Jeez, way way over my head.

I have to jump back to this:

So just imagine, kneeling on the fender and taking a whiz on those wires!

At least it wouldn't be continous current. More like zapzapzapzapzapzap!! :p

Never never never never never never EVER pee on an electric fence when you're drunk. :laugh:

notasccrmom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    south 'til you smell
    Rhino,

Problem solved....next?
    PURE GENIUS!!!

It's a surefire foolproof plan to succeed at teaching! ...or really anything now that I think about it a little more. (It's especially effective if you're trying to give up chain-smoking or gambling.)

Top Bottom