• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    it is not the size of a grain of salt...its a grain of rice. and highly unlikely that they put them in the guns.....I have seen people/police departments put them in the stocks of their guns so they can be ID'ed down the road if it gets stolen because most people dont break the gun down and look where they put them.

No, more like salt:

ALERT!! RFID Powder!! UPDATE Sep 17 | Free People On The Land

Or just the picture:

rfidpowder.jpg

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    people who question other people that question something confuse me. The times we are living in are beyond scary, so to be skeptical of RFID chips being places in guns forced by the gov't is completely reasonable. our cell phones record every keystroke and every password and user name that you use on your cell phone, and i'm sure computer as well, i think it was apple that got sued for this a few years back. its crazy that they store your passwords, then of course they get hacked and everyone's identity is stolen. technology is crazy, and the gov't is even more crazy. i would believe they are doing this way before i would say "there's no way they would do this" becuase everytime we say "there's no way", we read an article and it gets posted on a forum and everyone goes, holy crap no way!!!! example - drones killing americans--NO WAY!! now drones can identify a person concealed carrying at night--DOUBLE NO WAY!! yup

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South

This looks just like an Impinj RFID chip. There are 30 on my desk at work. I'm integrating it into a product. It is great to say the chip is 0.4mm x 0.4mm (and it is that small, I've soldered 8 wires onto the connection under the microscope) or the new tiniest chip. However, this chip is completely useless without an antenna. The onboard PCB antenna I'm making so it is actually usable (i.e. you can get a signal back from it with an RFID scanner) is nearly 2 inches long. RFID works by taking RF power given to it and sending it back. There is almost no RF power in a 0.4mm x 0.4mm space.

You are not going to be able to hide an RFID chip in a hammer, and if you did no signal would get in or out. You are going to have a hard time putting an RFID antenna directly next to metal surfaces. It can be done, but the antenna is not small.

You could have an RFID embedded in a rubber grip or stuck to a plastic surface. Otherwise, tin foil hot area if you want detection ranges over 1 or 2 cm.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    In Squealer best voice.

Now comrades, you should know that none of this is real! It's all snowball's rumors and nothing more. There is no such thing. Back to the harvest comrades! Back to the harvest!

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    RFID has no more to do with a registry than a serial number. And where exactly did you get that idea?

It's simply a number that easier and faster to read (should you have a reader) - at usually the same distances. Are you against serial numbers from the manufacturer?

I'm against an identification device that can be read digitally from a distance.

If you fail to understand how such a thing would be used, and how it would change your every day life, you're in denial.

Open carry gets a lot of police attention as is. Give them an ability to be able to tell who is carrying around them without seeing it, and the 4th amendment has just been crapped on. Concealed carry will then receive the same level of harassment as open carry brings. God forbid new legislation, that combined with what we saw with the Dorner case paints a very nasty picture for us.

What about conscientious objection to reckless and dangerous laws such as no gun zones, or future regulation.
    Yea, it's really arrogant to view anything as innocent these days, everyone should know better by now that this isn't for your benefit.

Last edited:

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County

After reading about speckled computing, I am a bit uneasy when I consider the implications that come with something that small where privacy issues are concerned. I see far too many applications and abilities for violating peoples rights at previously unheard of levels. And with memory storage what it is today and will be in the near future. I am VERY apprehensive where out Gov't. is concerned.

Not comfortable at all with this.

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    people who question other people that question something confuse me. The times we are living in are beyond scary, so to be skeptical of RFID chips being places in guns forced by the gov't is completely reasonable. our cell phones record every keystroke and every password and user name that you use on your cell phone, and i'm sure computer as well, i think it was apple that got sued for this a few years back. its crazy that they store your passwords, then of course they get hacked and everyone's identity is stolen. technology is crazy, and the gov't is even more crazy. i would believe they are doing this way before i would say "there's no way they would do this" becuase everytime we say "there's no way", we read an article and it gets posted on a forum and everyone goes, holy crap no way!!!! example - drones killing americans--NO WAY!! now drones can identify a person concealed carrying at night--DOUBLE NO WAY!! yup

Exactly. I know people that worked in the military in cryptology and skunk works type stuff. And from what I have learned, anything that we are casually reading about is at least 5years behind the Gov't. folks and more in many cases. So, given this, apply it to the things that we are talking about here (as well as others that you may have been reading about) and tell me you aren't at least a little worried. Because you should be.

Security where all of this is concerned is waaaaay behind as are our legal protection from all of the dreck.

Snizz1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    If it was an RFID, it would not be in the hammer, I think already mentioned. However I don't think it would be on the grip either bc that is easily replaced and defeats whatever purpose the RFID is for. Bottom line I don't think it is one

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    They sell detectors if your worried......

Could just microwave the part known to contain the rfid chip.

Only takes about 3 seconds to fry small electronics. Of course this depends on whether it's encased in metal or in polymer. Which I highly doubt it'd even work if it was encased in metal.

Don't do this with a credit card that has em though, that's what a power drill is for.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    If it was an RFID, it would not be in the hammer, I think already mentioned. However I don't think it would be on the grip either bc that is easily replaced and defeats whatever purpose the RFID is for. Bottom line I don't think it is one

Molded right into the plastic frame of your fav block style. Antenna and all.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I question his source. RFIDs need at least some antenna, otherwise they wont energize. A reader not only reads them, but provides power to the chip being read.
    ^^This is true of passive systems, but there are active systems in which the RFID chip provides its own power..

JH

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    ^^This is true of passive systems, but there are active systems in which the RFID chip provides its own power..

JH
    Even if that's the case, how long do you think a 0.4x0.4mm battery will last and how far do you think it will transmit without an antenna?

BOLTGUN

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    NE INDY
    In regards to RFIDs...do they emit a signal or can only be detected by another device (like a wand used to find microchips on dogs)? Id think theyd put it in another place opposed to the hammer bc they would know the hammer is one of the parts thatgets the most use...and theyd want to preserve it as long as they could

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Could just microwave the part known to contain the rfid chip.

Only takes about 3 seconds to fry small electronics. Of course this depends on whether it's encased in metal or in polymer. Which I highly doubt it'd even work if it was encased in metal.

Don't do this with a credit card that has em though, that's what a power drill is for.

Indeed you should NEVER have a credit card with one of these things embedded. You're just ASKING for a scammer to steal your card information. In spite of what the credit card industry says, these are NOT secure.

See how easy it is:

RFID Credit Cards Are Easy Prey for Hackers, Demo Shows | PCWorld

Hacker's Demo Shows How Easily Credit Cards Can Be Read Through Clothes And Wallets - Forbes

If you get "upgraded" by your bank, call them immediately and demand a non-RFID card replacment. If they say they can't do that, FIND A NEW BANK!

The industry could have found people smart enough to make credit card RFID systems secure but they chose to ignore the danger. The banks are "banking" on the fact that the vast majority of people have no clue what RFID is much less how it works.

These things are a credit card scammers DREAM! They can just carry around a reader and go to places where there are a lot of people, you know, stores, movies, sporting events, etc. and just walk around and pickup card data from many feet away!

kman1977

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    This looks just like an Impinj RFID chip. There are 30 on my desk at work. I'm integrating it into a product. It is great to say the chip is 0.4mm x 0.4mm (and it is that small, I've soldered 8 wires onto the connection under the microscope) or the new tiniest chip. However, this chip is completely useless without an antenna. The onboard PCB antenna I'm making so it is actually usable (i.e. you can get a signal back from it with an RFID scanner) is nearly 2 inches long. RFID works by taking RF power given to it and sending it back. There is almost no RF power in a 0.4mm x 0.4mm space.

You are not going to be able to hide an RFID chip in a hammer, and if you did no signal would get in or out. You are going to have a hard time putting an RFID antenna directly next to metal surfaces. It can be done, but the antenna is not small.

You could have an RFID embedded in a rubber grip or stuck to a plastic surface. Otherwise, tin foil hot area if you want detection ranges over 1 or 2 cm.

I am not an electronics wizard --- however this talk of these RFID chips needing an antennae to work I do understand that part. Is not an antennae nothing more that a piece of metallic wire ?? and if so couldn't a metallic part of a gun ( barrel, slide, bolt etc ) be the antennae???

and for that matter couldn't the tin foil hat I am wearing also be an antennae???

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I am not an electronics wizard --- however this talk of these RFID chips needing an antennae to work I do understand that part. Is not an antennae nothing more that a piece of metallic wire ?? and if so couldn't a metallic part of a gun ( barrel, slide, bolt etc ) be the antennae???

and for that matter couldn't the tin foil hat I am wearing also be an antennae???
    It isn't that simple. There is a lot of engineering, research, and development that goes into an antenna for proper and reliable function.

To use a large piece of metal the field would have to be pretty massive to induce the current necessary I would think but that's speculation on my part.

kman1977

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    It isn't that simple. There is a lot of engineering, research, and development that goes into an antenna for proper and reliable function.

To use a large piece of metal the field would have to be pretty massive to induce the current necessary I would think but that's speculation on my part.

thank you for the explanation

Top Bottom