• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DC47374

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Richmond, IN
    Semi-Autos are less bulky, so in my opinion are better suited for CC. That being said...revolvers are a lot of fun to shoot and just look awesome. They also have fewer parts that can malfunction.

gabrigger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Wayne County
    That all depends on what you are comfortable carrying. By comfortable, I mean something that you are proficient with, able to manipulate the controls under stress, and something you have confidence in. I carry both, depending on what I feel like that day. Everyone will have a different opinion on what is "best". What is best is something that you will have to determine through experience and trial.

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    I utilize both. My most carried is a Glock 26 followed by a S&W 638 revolver. I wear the Glock in a crossbreed holster and pocket carry the 638. Thats what works best for me.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    As a new gun owner i wondered what the best for concealed carry.

That is completely a personal preference. I actually own and carry both. I am going to assume that as a new gun owner you are considering purchasing your first handgun. Generally speaking a medium sized semi automatic in a common service caliber is going to be the easiest to learn how to shoot. These can double as a home defense or concealed carry firearm. As you become more experienced you might want to consider a smaller revolver or auto that is easier to conceal. Smaller guns are easy to carry but harder to shoot with proficiency.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    As a new gun owner i wondered what the best for concealed carry.

You are going to have to put fingerprints on guns, try things on, and sort it out as you go along. There are lots of small autopistols that hide nicely and are still effective defense weapons. The same can be said for a small frame revolver. You have to be able to use the weapon effectively or you have defeated the purpose for having it. You likely want to do better than a token job of concealing it which dictates that you will have to find a concealment-friendly weapon and also may have to adjust your wardrobe. I managed to carry a full-sized Colt Govt concealed effectively aside from the occasional awkward bend. This is one of those questions that for 10 people there are 11 different correct answers.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Semi-Autos are less bulky, so in my opinion are better suited for CC. That being said...revolvers are a lot of fun to shoot and just look awesome. They also have fewer parts that can malfunction.

Sort of true. Semi autos can be thinner then a revolver if a person measures the width at the cylinder. But they tend to be more angular and tend to print. The rounded shape of a revolver blends in well. Also the cylinder on a revolver is wide but the rest of the gun is relatively thin. I often carry a J-frame whether IWB or in my pocket. Yes it creates a bulge but it doesn't scream gun. Nobody has ever noticed.

Revolvers actually have more parts that can malfunction. They are full of mechanical parts which can fail. Just think about everything that must turn and line up to make a revolver work. However!!!!!!!! If you stop to think about what causes most failures in a quality semi automatic.... 1) ammunition related or 2) magazine related or 3) shooter induced. With a revolver you pretty much eliminate these issues.

Last edited:

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    Not a revolver guy, just too many advantages that a good quality semi-auto pistol has. The only exception being the small .38 BUG options like the LCR are a good option for just that, a BUG. Other than just fun shooting at the range, I don't see any advantages for a primary EDC.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Which is the best fruit? Its pretty subjective.

Revolver strong points:
    Ease of maintenance
    Easily customized grips (no magazine well means no minimum thickness)
    Rock solid reliability
    Can't be pushed out of battery during contact shots
    Allows more flexibility in ammunition

Semi-auto strong points
    Faster to reload (you can get fast with speedloaders on a revolver, but it takes a lot more practice)
    Generally holds more rounds
    Generally easier to manipulate one handed

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    If you are about to purchase a new gun, I would suggest meeting up with an INGO member in your area who is willing to allow you to send some rounds down range through their revolver and semi-auto. You can then make a more informed choice, although that will only get you in the ballpark.

Whatever you do, try to get in a training class to learn how to properly use your firearm of choice.

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Wheel gun or semi-auto? Good question, have any friends that have both ask to go shoot with them.
    Revolvers have a very clasic look. You can go from small to exceptionaly large in size depending upon the caliber. IMO 5 or 6 shots in a self defense situation should be sufficient, you are defending you or you'r loved ones life, not getting into a shoot-out.
    Autos have become very reliable and also come from small to exceptionaly large in size depending upon the caliber.
    What ever you decide on make sure you handle the gun and have the LGS show you its operation, cleaning, care, and options for carry. Buy some ammo and go get familiar with it. Buy what you will use for personal or home protection ammo and shoot a box or two (at least) to know how the firearm handles and how the ammo performs.

Good luck!!! The bug will bite you and you will have GAS.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    If you are about to purchase a new gun, I would suggest meeting up with an INGO member in your area who is willing to allow you to send some rounds down range through their revolver and semi-auto. You can then make a more informed choice, although that will only get you in the ballpark.

Whatever you do, try to get in a training class to learn how to properly use your firearm of choice.

This is very good advice. OP I looked to see where you are located. If it is near Seymour I would be happy to let you shoot some different revolvers and semi automatic pistols. It just so happens that I keep examples of different types of handguns for just this sort of thing.

zenbruno

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Sort of true. Semi autos can be thinner then a revolver if a person measures the width at the cylinder. But they tend to be more angular and tend to print. The rounded shape of a revolver blends in well. Also the cylinder on a revolver is wide but the rest of the gun is relatively thin. I often carry a J-frame whether IWB or in my pocket. Yes it creates a bulge but it doesn't scream gun. Nobody has ever noticed.

Revolvers actually have more parts that can malfunction. They are full of mechanical parts which can fail. Just think about everything that must turn and line up to make a revolver work. However!!!!!!!! If you stop to think about what causes most failures in a quality semi automatic.... 1) ammunition related or 2) magazine related or 3) shooter induced. With a revolver you pretty much eliminate these issues.

Excellent analysis here. Particularly, the point about the rounded shape of a revolver (and its concealability) is something which is easily dismissed until you appreciate it in action.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    smith-and-wesson-demotivational-poster-1193848174.jpg

Just kidding. Like others have said you should try a variety of handguns before you buy and find out what works best for you.

Never A Victim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Hamilton County
    In my experience, revolvers are more difficult to become proficient with than semi-auto's. For your first gun, I can't really think of a reason to get a revolver. Not trying to start an argument here with anyone, but in my experience a revolver isn't typically a good first gun.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Depends on you. Some like revolvers more, and some like Semiautomatics more. My brother has always been a semi guy, until he recently gotten a revolver. Although, he does not want to try and conceal it, he likes more so how it handles and shoots. He still loves a lot of things on the semi, such as the speed of reloads, round capacity, but for him, he wants to carry the revolver. Some of the older cops when they were switching over, never liked to carry a semi without the revolver as back up, cause to them, they were proven weapons. Well, both have been around for over 100 years, so both are very proven weapons. You just have to go with what you feel the most comfortable with.

addictedhealer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Monroe County
    I think revolvers are great edc guns. No failures to feed/eject. No safety to operate (if equipped). Can be shot from clothes, pockets, purses and can't be jammed with clothes ect.

I also think they are great for beginners with ease of operation. Add bullets and pull the trigger.

Semi-autos are the trump card when it comes to a serious gun fight though.

dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    I agree with both of those. When I have friends asking about guns, I'll steer the "not really into guns" folks toward a revolver for the reasons you mention above.

A 4" .357 revolver is a great only home defense gun for someone new; no complicated disassembly, ease of shooting, bullet choices (.38 special or .357), and ammunition failure is taken care of by pulling the trigger again.

Top Bottom