• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    If you are about to purchase a new gun, I would suggest meeting up with an INGO member in your area who is willing to allow you to send some rounds down range through their revolver and semi-auto. You can then make a more informed choice, although that will only get you in the ballpark.

Whatever you do, try to get in a training class to learn how to properly use your firearm of choice.

+1, sound advice. Shoot several of each and find the one that fits you the best, and the one you shoot the best. :yesway:

T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI
    Revolvers are also very accurate as the sights are fixed to the barrel rather than a separate moving part.

hoosiersasquatch

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I think everyone has made some good points, especially getting some training and seeing which you feel more comfortable with at the range.

I have also seen training videos where they carry 2 snubbies, rather than do a reload, they had a second snubby and have 10 rounds for their defense. Bottom line, it I think it ends up what your comfort level is with the size of gun you want to carry and feel comfortable using.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    Sometimes I carry my S&W 642, most of the time my Glock 26. They are about the same size, the 642 weighing a little less. The 642 has 5 rounds, while the Glock 26 has 10 + 1 rounds, big difference.

Dave

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    I have two carry guns, one is a Ruger LCR .357, the other a Colt 1911A1 Defender. just depends on how I'm dressed and how I feel. The LCR is a lot lighter but of course not nearly as accurate for any distance.
    Go with what you like.

Chapparal

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 16, 2011
    B'town
    I have both revolvers and pistols.

That stated, I prefer the revolvers. Fewer moving parts, fewer chances for something to go wrong. If wheel turns and hammer moves and the firing pin is still there then the gun goes boom. FTF, FTE, FT....... do NOT happen with revolvers.

People generally also tend to take the extra second to aim with a revolver. Try shooting both. It will come down to preference and ease. Sometimes I feel the revolver appears to bulky and other times I do not.

No, it does not, but the 1911 does make your rear end look big!

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Both are good, but I'm more of a pistol man myself. The advantage of a revolver is there are less moving parts, when means less chance of malfunction. It does however take more practice to reload quickly with a revolver.

ret

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hold and or try to pocket etc a small 380 lcp, p3at etc, a GLOCK 26 and 19 (or equiv size in caliber or your choice and a Ruger LCR. If you can shoot all three... Even better.

jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    I have seen ALL the semi-autos at the range jam at one time or another, with one ammo or another. I have NEVER seen a revolver jam. Ever. Just my 2-cents. Don`t get me wrong, I love a good semi-auto, wished like hell I could afford a 1911 9mm or better, but I`m retired, so forget that. :)

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I have seen ALL the semi-autos at the range jam at one time or another, with one ammo or another. I have NEVER seen a revolver jam. Ever. Just my 2-cents. Don`t get me wrong, I love a good semi-auto, wished like hell I could afford a 1911 9mm or better, but I`m retired, so forget that. :)

I have seen a revolver not work at all. Timing was off from what I heard. As in, it did not fire at all. It had worked previously, but would not fire at all. Most people think they are jam proof, but like anything, it can jam, malfunction, etc. Just what takes care of most the jams, or is easy to fix and get back to work.

Top Bottom