• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breas1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Indy
    Alright so I've decided I can't live with out a revolver much longer. I am buying a glock 23 next and will have some extra cash to burn. My question is how do Rossi revolvers stack up? S&W's will probably be out of my price range. I'm looking for a 2" .357, probably stainless. It doesn't need to be an air weight, and I want a hammer. So, what should I look for and avoid? I will have between $300-$400 to spend, or should I wait and buy a S&W?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I've recently developed a real fondness for Ruger revolvers. Not that it's a bad choice, but why are you considering Rossi? Anyway, you can never go wrong with S&W.

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    Taurus makes a great gun. Rossi has some affiliation with Taurus so you may be alright going with them. You would be very happy with a used Ruger SP101 or S&W and should be able to find something in your price range.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have personally had nothing but good experiences with Rossi revolvers. They have been reliable, pleasent to shoot, and accurate. I do not own one myself, but have shot several of them. I have a Taurus m85 and love it. I also really like the Ruger sp101. Good luck with your decision, wheelguns are great!!!

bambek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Henry Co.
    +1 for Taurus revolvers....got 2 of 'em.....905 9mm and CIA 850 38 sp
    I do like having a 9mm revolver! It's a bit snappy to shoot. Not an all day range gun, but I like having the ability to shoot 9mm HPs and not have to worry about feeding issues! The 905 9mm is the one in my avitar pic.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Try Summitt Gunbroker. TONS of used Smith and Ruger revovlers for UNDER the price range you described.

Rossis are okay, but are subject to hit and miss quality: The ones I have either owned or seen are either really decent for price or absolute crap. The .357 ones I have personally shot had screws that started backing out with warm .38 or mild .357. One at our range went completely out of time with factory S&B .357 after 3 rounds. I have had only ONE Rossi that I thought was worth a hoot and it was the old Interarms imported snub. Absolutely wonderful!

KB55

Plinker
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    I will second the SP101 suggestion. I have the 3 1/16" version, bought brand new a few months back for not much more than you're looking to spend. It's a perfect blend of power and size, IMO. Heck, my wife will hardly shoot any of my guns because of recoil, but she will shoot the SP101 all day long, even with .357 loads. She actually wants me to buy another one "for her." Good luck in your search.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Ruger SP101. The 110gr screamers sting about as much a .38 SPL +P in an Airweight. 125's and 158's are no problem.

Any reason why you want a 2" and not a 4"?

breas1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Indy
    Thanks for all the input. I looked around some more and I think Im going to pass on the Rossi. I really want the 2" for the size. I want to carry it and my jeep has a small center console.

batmann

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    If you look hard enough, you may find a new S&W J frame for the price you are looking at. Go to CDNN and download their catalog. They have the 642 on sale. I don't know the price because you have to call and after buying my Ruger 50th .44M Flattop, I have no money---LOL

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I like Taurus revolvers more than Rossi. I know Taurus owns Rossi now, but I've always felt the Taurus guns seemed to be of higher quality.

Between Cathy and I, we've owned a lot of Taurus guns over the years. They've all worked very well indeed, some of them have sucked up a lot of abuse, and I've always felt I got more than I paid for. You can get a nice shiny new Taurus snubby for $350 or less.

Ruger SP101s are better guns (in fact, I think the 3" .357 is one of the best guns ever made) than the Taurus 85s, IMHO, but cost considerably more, and weigh a bunch more, too. The Taurus is a fine gun.

Biggest downside to owning a Taurus is snobbery from folks who paid more for guns that are functionally no better (and sometimes worse,) and you will have folks who've never owned one coming out of the woodwork to tell you about the friend of a friend of their third cousin on their aunts side, twice removed, who didn't clean their gun before shooting it and couldn't get it to work right.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Taurus makes solid guns for the money. A new one is within the $300-$400 price range. I have always liked the model 85. You could also look for a good used Ruger SP101.

alluwant

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    ruger sp101 local gun shop or get on buds they usually run decent deals or bradis if you live around the indy area

Top Bottom