• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Some members here may recall some of my past posts regarding Detonics Combat Masters and my ongoing love affair with the little 1911 based pistols. I've got a little collection of many of the original pistols in every caliber they've made and until now I have not really had the desire to get a new gun, favoring only the original guns from the original factory.

Well things change. Now we have an evolutionary and revolutionary change to the 1911 that should much more firmly lock-up the barrel to the slide for enhanced repeatable accuracy.
    A glimpse of Combat Master Evolution
    Posted by robertboyd2, Yesterday, 03:05 PM
    Guns and Hunting Forums -> A glimpse of Combat Master Evolution

A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it sure doesn’t do squat to curb my ever-intensifying desire to go sling lead.

The latest offerings from Detonics arrived Friday, and even though I haven’t had a chance to shoot them yet, by the looks of things I’m in for some fun.

From their unique-looking dual-cocking serrations, and octagonal sight-tracker barrels, the attached photos are guaranteed to generate the ballistic equivalence of a Pavlovian response among 1911 fans. For comparison purposes, I included an image of one of the new pistols along side of one of my vintage MK I Combat Masters. (Please ignore its pitting the neglect occurred at the hands of a previous owner unschooled in the fine art of firearm hygiene.)

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

This photo is not of the compact Combat Master, but rather a full size Detonics 1911 prototype.
    index.php

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Any idea of the reasoning behind the octagon barrel?

Just odd looking, although I would think it might be a stiffer design.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    That there exists a design change is obvious.... but the "revolutionary" part remains to be seen. :patriot:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    These are prototype design mock-ups, so there is no rifling in these barrels because they are not real barrels. The production barrels would be rifled.

As for why the OCTAGON barrel shape that, combined with the slot on top for the sight, and a modified locking design, are designed to insure tight and repeatable lockup that is always the same. Realize that in a regular semi-auto pistol there is a lot of torque as the bullet rotates out one way the barrel is receiving opposing torque and is essentially held in place by the lug pin and the inside of the slide, while there is very little slop in that design there is still some rotational slop. This design should tighten that up even more and allow the barrel to be ultimately seated in the same spot each time a round is chambered.

Detonics held many patents and exclusive designs when the Combat Master was originally introduced in the mid 1970's. For a couple decades the Combat Master was the only compact 1911 to be considered to be 100% reliable. Many of those features utilized by the Combat Masters are now common on high end production pistols today, target grade pistols, and custom guns. This may prove to be a bust, or it may be just another functional feature that increases reliability and accuracy.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I don't get it. A properly fit barrel (bushing or bull, no matter) should lock up the same every time.

If you ever have a 1911 barrel fitted, ask the gunsmith to make sure it has 0.030" lockup.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Thank God someone finally fixed that 98 year old design that's sold millions and millions of guns. Another 1911 gimmick to sell guns, much like the Colt New Agent that remedied the sight problem by taking them off and gouging a channel in the slide.

More power to them, I hope they do well with their new pistol and sell skads of them.

PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    Looking for a professional Detonics owner.

I have a Seattle all stainless, MK VII Combat Master, and would like to have a "D" collector look at it and verify that it is authentic, and not a mongrel. Kruse Appraisers valued it as real, and worth $1250 in 1999. But the appraiser was not a Detonics nut, as we do become, after we own a few!! It's got all the accessories, etc. Any "D" collectors on the site who will take a look at it for me? Appraisal fee is fine. I just want proof. Thanks. Pat.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    My understanding is the new pistol will have some modular components.

I believe Bruce Siddle owns DETONICS now, and operators I know tell me he is a very intelligent and capable person who knows how to get things done. Hope he sells a boatload of them!

JeremySS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Fishers
    Thank God someone finally fixed that 98 year old design that's sold millions and millions of guns. Another 1911 gimmick to sell guns, much like the Colt New Agent that remedied the sight problem by taking them off and gouging a channel in the slide.

More power to them, I hope they do well with their new pistol and sell skads of them.

I agree, I can not see any advantage of this design over a properly functioning 1911. Maybe it helps for long range target practice, maybe not?

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO

I am not trying to necropost but some food for thought - many of the "gimmicks" that Detonics put on their original Combat Masters from the 70s onwards are now commonplace in compact 1911-style pistols. FLGR, multiple recoil springs, bull barrels, integral feed ramps, compact slides (as in, compact from the factory, not chopped-down full size slides), among other things. While I, like you, am somewhat skeptical of how this will alter shooting, I am keeping an open mind. Detonics made a fine product, and while I don't have any hands-on time with their recently manufactured items, I can only assume they are still making an above-average product.

I would put my Scoremaster up against any modern pistol and see how they compare. Now you put it up next to a $3k+ Dan Wesson, I'd expect the Wesson to be a bit better...but hell, I'd expect it to be the finest 1911 period if it cost that much :laugh:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I am not trying to necropost but some food for thought - many of the "gimmicks" that Detonics put on their original Combat Masters from the 70s onwards are now commonplace in compact 1911-style pistols. FLGR, multiple recoil springs, bull barrels, integral feed ramps, compact slides (as in, compact from the factory, not chopped-down full size slides), among other things. . .
    Exactly true. John Browning may have made the worlds best full size combat handgun ever, but Detonics perfected the design in compact form. The Combat Master is STILL considered the first and only 100% reliable compact 1911 ever designed. The best 1911 pistols today use the innovations Detonics patented 30+ years ago.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    As soon as i re-read the article to remember what the updates where(yes, i remembered this thread), My next thought was "Oh, please tell me melonsdad has one of these!"

So... Does melensdad own one of these yet?

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    They aren't even available to the general public as of yet. I am really curious to see the price point on these and how they compare to the original Detonics stuff in overall fit/finish, reliability, ect., especially the full-size model. :@ya:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    As soon as i re-read the article to remember what the updates where(yes, i remembered this thread), My next thought was "Oh, please tell me melonsdad has one of these!"

So... Does melensdad own one of these yet?

I collect the original Seattle Detonics Combat Masters.

If these are ever produced, they will be Illinois Detonics Combat Masters, which is a different company. Will I buy one? Probably, but I won't consider it part of my collection of original Combat Masters.

Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    I guess I am a bit of a purist and can't acknowledge the new design as a 1911...I know that with all the different makes and models out there direct swapping won't work like the original intent of the 1911, but this takes it to too much of an extreme for my taste. :twocents:

Top Bottom