• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I guess I am a bit of a purist and can't acknowledge the new design as a 1911...I know that with all the different makes and models out there direct swapping won't work like the original intent of the 1911, but this takes it to too much of an extreme for my taste. :twocents:

Can you accept the coned target barrels? Captured recoils spring assemblies? Solid guide rods? Multiple recoil springs? Or any of the couple of dozen other patents that are now commonly used on high end 1911 pistols but were designed by Detonics?

The sight attached to the barrel is actually not a new thing, its just be modernized by Detonics to this variant. In fact competition target shooters put sights on extended barrels long ago because the sight on the barrel doesn't move, but a sight on a slide does. So if you have a sight on your barrel then your eye doesn't have to try to watch a moving sight.

Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    I never said that I didn't like it. I just can't call it a 1911. At first glance I don't see a dovetail safety. The first feature I think of a 1911. Then the octagon barrel, the sight on the barrel, and the more squared slide with cut out for sight.

I think it is a sharp looking gun, and like any gun would jump on the opportunity to shoot it. Just had too much done for my taste of 1911.... Yes I appreciate the advancements that have been made and benefit higher end 1911's, which are my preference. Just this one is not for me... Just like there are people who don't like the new remakes of cars... ie Challengers, Chargers, Camaros, Mustangs, etc...

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    My understanding is the new pistol will have some modular components.

I believe Bruce Siddle owns DETONICS now, and operators I know tell me he is a very intelligent and capable person who knows how to get things done. Hope he sells a boatload of them!

You are correct - Mr. Siddle is the current owner of Detonics. A lot of his immediate family works there - his wife does mainly secretarial work (she has answered the phone when I have called) and his son is a smith there. I called today and to my complete surprise, was talking directly to Bruce himself. He was quite eager to assist me and I have a great deal of confidence in his direction for the company. It says a lot when they are willing to go out of their way to help me with a pistol that Detonics hasn't even been manufacturing since the early 90s. Not to mention the company has changed hands three times since they've left Seattle if my count is correct - Arizona, Georgia, and now onto the Siddles. They are coming out with a full-size 1911 with a light rail this year, and it seems to have a lot of the innovations that made the original Combat Master great - but this time, supersized :laugh:.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    The two things I wish they would do are restore is the rear sight to its forward position and lower/curve the ejection port. I will grant you that there is no real advantage to having the sight moved forward on a Combat Master the way that it was originally done with the scalloped frame behind the sight, but I just like that look, even if it is not particularly functional today.

If we start to actually get some of the Illinios pistols out of the factory I will begin buying new production Detonics Combat Masters again. But it sure would be nice if they would move that sight forward and lower/curve the ejection port again, if only for the sake of nostalgia.

Top Bottom