• ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    ***Update***

As I reported before, I lost my original MicroStream this past winter after shoveling some snow.

Well yesterday my wife was thoroughly cleaning out the car. Now she is much smaller than I, so she has to move the seat way up. While it was in this position she was gathering some trash underneath the seat when she found the original light!

She proudly returned it to me with a big smile on her face. I clicked the tailcap and it still worked just fine, even after 6 months of inactivity. Although she initially laughed at my carrying it everywhere I went, she was quick to ask if she could have this one for her purse. . . .

Also, I came across a semi-interesting video review of the MicroStream that I thought I would share.

YouTube - Streamlight Microstream Flashlight

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Also, I came across a semi-interesting video review of the MicroStream that I thought I would share.

Thanks for that. The vendor mentioned (yourcornerstore.com) currently lists the MicroStream for $13.12 + shipping (about the best price I've seen on them), but is currently out of stock.

FWIW, both of my MicroStreams - the one I ordered earlier this year and the one I got from Indiana Supply Depot just a couple weeks ago - have the solid belt clip like the one shown in the review. I still can't figure out how you're supposed to attach the supplied lanyard (not that I would want to).

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    FWIW, both of my MicroStreams - the one I ordered earlier this year and the one I got from Indiana Supply Depot just a couple weeks ago - have the solid belt clip like the one shown in the review. I still can't figure out how you're supposed to attach the supplied lanyard (not that I would want to).

I looked at both my MicroStreams and they have different clip styles.

3523fnr.jpg

The one on the left is my original one, purchased back in Oct/Nov '08 I think. It has cutouts where you could attach the lanyard ring.

The one on the right is the newest one, purchased around Feb/March '09. It has the solid clip, and I will say that its much more robust.

The older clip feels much more flimsy, and probably contributed to why it slipped out of my pants pocket. The new clip is much tighter, and feels like there's more "spring" to the metal-- if you pull it out it snaps back into place, while the older one tends to want to stay deformed.

Like you though, I don't use the lanyard anyway.

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    I got mine today. The light output from this little guy is amazing. I also got the clip with no holes for a lanyard. I think they expect you to just slide the split-ring loop through clip since the new clip is so solid. I tried this out and it worked well. I don't think I have any use for the lanyard, but its nice that they included it

Pros:
    -Great output! Nice round, bright, crisp beam
    -Nice compact size
    -Uses standard AAA battery
    - Includes duracell battery
    -Solid construction and pocket clip

Cons:
    -Quality control is lacking (poor lettering, see photos)
    - Clicker switch does not feel as nice as some of my other lights

Overall I am really impressed with this light for the price, and it has earned a place in my front right pocket (with my leatherman skeletool cx, zippo lighter, and fisher space pen
    img_5018.jpg

img_5019.jpg

img_5020.jpg

img_5021.jpg

img_5022.jpg

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Great review Slacker!

I totally agree with your assessment. I too think the clicky tailcap requires a bit more attention when activating the light-- you really have to make sure you hit it right in the center.

I'll be receiving another recently introduced product from Streamlight soon and I can't wait to test it!

(they really do need to pay me for this . . . . .)

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    My Microstream came in handy today. Our neighborhood got hit by a powerful storm this morning. Power is still out. I've got the generator running. (I coudn't go a whole day without my INGO fix!) :D

I've had the Micro in my pocket all day and used it often. It's really dark in the country with no lights around!

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Great review Slacker!

I totally agree with your assessment. I too think the clicky tailcap requires a bit more attention when activating the light-- you really have to make sure you hit it right in the center.

I'll be receiving another recently introduced product from Streamlight soon and I can't wait to test it!

(they really do need to pay me for this . . . . .)

Esrice,

I personally like the fact that you really have to hit the center of the switch to get it to latch. I don't like bump switches which latch too easily- it defeats the purpose. YMMV.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Well its been over a year since this thread has been updated, so here is a bump for the noobs, and a shot as my daily-carried Microstream looks today!

45026_146716802019938_100000448578905_327999_6331573_n.jpg

Bflo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    I just received mine today. I bought it based on the recommendations in this thread. It seems durable and is bright for the size.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I just received mine today. I bought it based on the recommendations in this thread. It seems durable and is bright for the size.

Feel free to update this thread with your impressions as you get more time with it. :yesway:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Feel free to update this thread with your impressions as you get more time with it. :yesway:

I've had 3 of them for over a year now; keep one for EDC, one in my range bag, and one clipped into the MOLLE webbing on my plate carrier. I had to replace the battery in my EDC light for the first time just a few weeks ago; that's pretty good life, given the frequency with which it gets used. The rubber button cover on that light is gone completely, and the one on the range bag light has a big chunk missing from it, but all three still work just fine. Love these little things!

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    My results are the same as Esrice and Shooter. My Microstream is a EDC and has gotten tons of abuse over the last 14 months. I actually dropped it in a 165 gallon tank of water at work, the light stayed on the entire time, and to this day has never missed a beat. The rubber button cover is all ripped and tore, but the light still functions like new. It's the best sub $20 light I have ever bought.

arma73

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    Morgan Co.
    Love flashlights,nice review... I have been using my new maglite led with multiple settings...It has its advantages.... I will be looking closely at the Microstream...

Top Bottom