• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I thought about doing something like that too, including a few other goodies in a kit. I just don't have the money that esrice or Que have.....:twocents::laugh:

I wanted to add some certain Zombie shirts with the flashlights, but SOMEBODY hasn't got their website set up yet! ;) :D

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Mine's even gone through the wash and still works great.

unfortunately the two year old has run off with it and I'm not sure where he stashed it.... been thinking about getting a couple more anyway...

-rvb

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    After looking at the Microstream, I think I'm going with the 4Sevens Preon with a clicky tail. More performance out of a little size, but about double the price. Although if you put a 3.7V lithium in it, you get over double the performance of brightness.

Looks like the Microstream and Preon are the same brightness at a distance, but the Preon offers a wider beam at that brightness.

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    After looking at the Microstream, I think I'm going with the 4Sevens Preon with a clicky tail.

The Preon is nice, has more settings, and is brighter. But, at $30 plus an $11 clicky tailcap, I think it prices itself out of the MicroStream segment.

One of the big advantages of the MicroStream is that its only $15. As one poster said above, he ran one through the wash and then lost it, but he's not concerned because the light was so cheap. He might be singing a different tune if that was a $40 light.

I do want you to report back to INGO when you get the Preon though, as you've piqued my curiosity. :D

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    The Preon is nice, has more settings, and is brighter. But, at $30 plus an $11 clicky tailcap, I think it prices itself out of the MicroStream segment.

One of the big advantages of the MicroStream is that its only $15. As one poster said above, he ran one through the wash and then lost it, but he's not concerned because the light was so cheap. He might be singing a different tune if that was a $40 light.

I do want you to report back to INGO when you get the Preon though, as you've piqued my curiosity. :D

The Preon 2 comes with a clicky tail, so you can get that and a Preon 1 body, then have two light setups depending on how you want to carry for not much more, but still 3x the price of the Streamlight. I have the Quark AA coming and still considering the EDC pen light options. I currently have a Fenix E01 in my pocket, which is getting me by.

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    The Preon 2 comes with a clicky tail, so you can get that and a Preon 1 body, then have two light setups depending on how you want to carry for not much more. I have the Quark AA coming and still considering the EDC pen light options. I currently have a Fenix E01 in my pocket, which is getting me by.

Well now that sounds like more than enough material for a comparison of pen lights. :yesway:

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    HOLY CRAP THIS LIGHT IS AWESOME!

I bought two off ebay based only on the reviews in this thread and it is amazing! My former EDC flashlight WAS a AA Mini Mag from Mag Lite and this is better in every single way.

When I bought the Mini Mag, I also bought a combination tailcap switch/LED conversion.

I'll leave that boat anchor in the nightstand.

This Streamlight is brighter, cheaper, lighter, smaller, just all around better. Well I guess the advertised 1.5 hour battery life isn't as good but it only uses one AAA instead of two AA.

I am not a flashlight techie by any means. My scientific tests consist of walking into a dark room and seeing which light is the brightest. The Mini Mag is blown away. In fact, I only have one flashlight that is brighter. It is a 2 cell D battery LED (factory) Mag Lite, and that is only brighter by a little bit. It does have a much wider light stream and doubles nicely as a club though.

For these reasons, the 2 cell D will still be my light of choice on late night dog walks, but the Streamlight will be used for every other situation bar none.

I went ahead and bought 2 so I could save on shipping thinking I would gift one. I am really glad I did! My dad or my brother will really enjoy this. I might buy a couple more for wife and friends.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    HOLY CRAP THIS LIGHT IS AWESOME!

:laugh: I'm glad you found these reviews helpful!

Well I guess the advertised 1.5 hour battery life isn't as good but it only uses one AAA instead of two AA.

I haven't run any tests (I should. . . ), but I've used 2 different MicroStreams since I first posted this review (lost the other one), and I have yet to replace the batteries. You might be pleasantly surprised.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Ok, so I'm gonna run a quick and simple test to find out what kind of battery life I can expect with a standard AAA battery.

Here's what I'm starting with:

2rqbrky.jpg

I found this battery new, in a sealed package, here at work. After a little bit of research it looks like the Werker brand is an industrial-type battery that can be purchased in bulk at places like Batteries Plus.

I'm not endorsing or even recommending using a battery like this, but I wanted my test to use whatever new battery I could find readily available. Hopefully this will at least give me some idea of expected runtime.

Here is my super-elaborate testing rig. I turned on the light at 19:25 and will report back periodically. Now let the waiting begin. . . .

1rus80.jpg

Top Bottom