• ...and so much more!
  • csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    As a sidenote for the Swipe link.

I was at the BMV the other day and the woman waiting on me said to never let anyone aside from law-enforcement or the BMV scan the barcode on the back of your license. I asked her what all was in the barcode as Toys-r-us had scanned mine the other day, she had a very concerned look on her face and insisted to tell me not to let anyone scan unless police or BMV due to the information included in the barcode... FYI it is way more than the front of your license contains including ss#, driving records and more.

052.5GT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Columbus

I was at the BMV the other day and the woman waiting on me said to never let anyone aside from law-enforcement or the BMV scan the barcode on the back of your license. I asked her what all was in the barcode as Toys-r-us had scanned mine the other day, she had a very concerned look on her face and insisted to tell me not to let anyone scan unless police or BMV due to the information included in the barcode... FYI it is way more than the front of your license contains including ss#, driving records and more.

what about liquor stores. Here in West Lafayette, a big college town, they scan to verify it is real and that you are 21. If you don't hand over an ID you will not get any drinks.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    what about liquor stores. Here in West Lafayette, a big college town, they scan to verify it is real and that you are 21. If you don't hand over an ID you will not get any drinks.

So let a guy you know buy it for you. I guess what they say about youth being wasted on the young is true, ecspecially in this case. I will not trade the security of my info to get drunk, there are lots of places aside from liquor stores to buy liquor.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA

OK, I got to ask why Toys R Us scanned your Indiana Drivers License. Return or refund possibly, that is a privacy intrusion to say the least :noway:

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    To register us for their discount card thing, a gas station did it while my wife bought her sisters cigarettes

Thanks, I still have the old non national ID until I renew my drivers license. No one will be scanning the new one.

Stay Safe

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Luckly I got to renew mine before the national I'd kicks in as did my wife I am good until 2015 hers is due up sooner than that though

052.5GT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Columbus
    So let a guy you know buy it for you. I guess what they say about youth being wasted on the young is true, ecspecially in this case. I will not trade the security of my info to get drunk, there are lots of places aside from liquor stores to buy liquor.

What was your intent on this statement?

It sounds like a personal attack against me.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Looks straightforward enough to me I suggested that there are other places to buy alcohol and that you can go somewhere aside from the place that scans all of your personal info including ss# to buy alcohol if you want to have a good night. I see no personal attack against you as I did not name you, you asked me a question so I answered it.

052.5GT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Columbus
    I believe that you could have answered the question without the condesending remark that I highlighted in my previous post. Hell, if you just take out that highlighted statement I think it is a great answer. But, you did type the highlighted statement. This isn't the first time you have critisized my posts with condesending and belittling comments, I guess it is just who you are.

I was just posing a question for people like me, that live in a college town. Nowhere did I say I was going to buy liquor to "get drunk". Maybe I just wanted a nice bottle of wine for a dinner with my girl.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I believe that you could have answered the question without the condesending remark that I highlighted in my previous post. Hell, if you just take out that highlighted statement I think it is a great answer. But, you did type the highlighted statement. This isn't the first time you have critisized my posts with condesending and belittling comments, I guess it is just who you are.

I was just posing a question for people like me, that live in a college town. Nowhere did I say I was going to buy liquor to "get drunk". Maybe I just wanted a nice bottle of wine for a dinner with my girl.

I really do not think that it was intended as a personal attack against you. A statement, advice and then added an old adage. Welcome to the Forum :ingo:

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Wow you must be really good at using the Internet you can iterrprut body language and tone of voice trough written words on a computer screen... (that is an example of being condesending)

I simply answered your question, I am pretty sure I also said I would not give up my info to get drunk, I never said you were gonna get drunk. Read into whatever you want I never bashed you personally.

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    Jack, great, thanks for the links, reps to you.

We moved out to the country 14 years ago. Been slowly working on independence for the past several years. Got the house and extra land paid off. No vehicle payments. We plant a large garden, this year I'm learning to 'can' food so we can preserve the garden output. We dehydrate some of our produce, but not enough. I've had 2 mini-orchards eaten to the ground by deer. I'm trying again this year, with electrified fence. Daughter goes to private school, wife teaches in the public school. We have our own well, our own septic, and we can generate our electricity if we need to, but we are hooked up to the grid . . . I'd like to work on some solar assist for hot water, maybe someday get a wind turbine for electrical generation.

Trying again this year -To get you some Deer? I'm about to start butchering up my 5th and last deer of the year. Long and the short - rid your self of those pesky tasty morsels by filling your freezer up with them:ar15:

Also enjoy your canning and experiment - we can a lot of veggies from our garden and usually find somewhere to pick free fruit to can - this year it was pears. Halves in bourbon syrup and half in pieces in regular syrup - about 2 dozen quarts, can't but stuff this good in the store.:D

schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    Happy birthday to this thread. I have the Back to Basics book. Got it when I was 13, which is when I first became interested in living closer to the land. Seems to me the closer you are to the land, the better off you'll be if SHTF. This is what my wife and I are working toward, slowly but surely. I don't believe in having preps in the basement or whatever, I think it is best to live your preps, which it seems was Jack's point.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Happy birthday to this thread. I have the Back to Basics book. Got it when I was 13, which is when I first became interested in living closer to the land. Seems to me the closer you are to the land, the better off you'll be if SHTF. This is what my wife and I are working toward, slowly but surely. I don't believe in having preps in the basement or whatever, I think it is best to live your preps, which it seems was Jack's point.

My personal philosophy is to have both a high tech and a low tech solution. Technology is great, but always ask yourself "what do I do if I push the button and nothing happens". Low tech doesn't have as much that can go wrong with it. For example, the generator is high tech, that works well for a short term disaster. Fireplace and woodburning stoves are for long term. Freezer full of meat is for short term problems, knowing how to can it, smoke it or turn it into jerky is for long term.

I have some preps in my basement, and some that I carry around with me all the time. I think it is good to know and to practice how to live off the grid, but I'm also going to take advantage of technology while its there. One final example is the digital watch on my arm; I have a windup watch at home in my dresser.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I wanted to add a good book to this thread:

Engineering in the Ancient World by J.G. Landels

If you want to see a lot of low tech ways to build pumps and gearboxes, heat water, determine angles and straight lines, this one will really get you to thinking about just how much can be accomplished with a few simple tools.

Top Bottom