• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bod

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    I have some 45acp that I seated a little to long. I have already put the crimp on them. I was just curious if I could just put them back through the seating die and set them in to the correct depth?

kyotekilr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    down wind
    I have tried before but without much luck. I would imagine if you used a taper crimp it might be easier. I'm sure it would not hurt to try.

I have some 45acp that I seated a little to long. I have already put the crimp on them. I was just curious if I could just put them back through the seating die and set them in to the correct depth?

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    Of course you can. However, it could damage a lead or plated bullet, so they may not be as accurate as they would have been. However, shooting them is still a lot more fun than taking them apart.
    Don't try to reseat a high primer in a loaded round, however.

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center

Just curious...how much is a little too long?

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Depending on how much you crimped, it could scrape the bullet at the crimp point and damage it. With a light crimp you may be ok. You didn't say if the bullets were FMJ, plated or lead but if their lead i wouldn't recommend doing it.

bod

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    Just curious...how much is a little too long?

I seated them @ 1.230" instead of 1.200". Basically just deep enough to fit in my mags. I have shot my reloads at both oal's and my gun shoots the 1.200" better. Maybe it is not worth the hassle for a couple hundred rounds:dunno:. The bullets are Hornady XTPs by the way.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    Of course you can. However, it could damage a lead or plated bullet, so they may not be as accurate as they would have been. However, shooting them is still a lot more fun than taking them apart.
    Don't try to reseat a high primer in a loaded round, however.

Sorry to jack the thread but, show me where it says this is dangerous? I've personally done this dozens of times and have never had a problem. If your worried about the primer going off, dont. Primers are not made to go off by seating. I've crushed them sideways, flattened them, and even tried to force one in a crimped primer pocket until i realized what was the problem. I've also decapped live primers on numerous occasions and have never had a problem.

And wouldn't you know it, i also agree that you can seat bullets deeper, even lead. You may lose a bit of accuracy by slightly damaging the bullet where the crimp is but it is not what i consider dangerous to fire.

Before i get flamed for this post, i'm just stating my expieriences. I'm not saying that everything that i've mentioned is "safe", but i personally would not consider them "dangerous" either.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    I seated them @ 1.230" instead of 1.200". Basically just deep enough to fit in my mags. I have shot my reloads at both oal's and my gun shoots the 1.200" better. Maybe it is not worth the hassle for a couple hundred rounds:dunno:. The bullets are Hornady XTPs by the way.

Your fine. I would not even worry about it unless you think its going to create feeding probems in your pistol. I am currently working on a batch of xtp's myself. I did some testing and these bullets are EXTREMELY accurate. I played with the OAL for awhile and did end up seating them at 1.200 although i tested and fired them a little longer than you have. Accuracy difference is minimal. The main reason i did it was because of the cosmetic portion of it. They just look better IMO :)

Are you loading the 185's?

poisonspyder

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Durango
    I am fairly new to reloading but isn't 1.27 max length. I was told to load my 230's to 1.25 and I hope that's right because I just did 2k yesterday. My test loads fired fine.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    I am fairly new to reloading but isn't 1.27 max length. I was told to load my 230's to 1.25 and I hope that's right because I just did 2k yesterday. My test loads fired fine.

Do you have a reloading manual? It will tell you what the minimum and maximum of the bullet YOU are using. It is different for each bullet profile and weight. Also make sure it will pass the "clunk" test.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    45pro. Every manual I own warns against reseating high primers. However you are probably right 999 times out of 1000. Good odds. However, it could go against you someday. If it does set off it's going to cost you some skivies at best. Please wear eye protection.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    45pro. Every manual I own warns against reseating high primers. However you are probably right 999 times out of 1000. Good odds. However, it could go against you someday. If it does set off it's going to cost you some skivies at best. Please wear eye protection.

I understand where you are coming from. What i dont understand is their reasoning behind it. I know it would be dangerous if a primer went off with gunpowder in the case. I just dont understand why it is "safe" to seat a primer in a case that has no powder and its safe because it wont detonate, but with gunpowder in the case it isn't safe because they primer "might" detonate. Why is there a great chance that the primer will detonate with powder vs none? To me it seems that it is one of those things they tell you not to do, for no real reasoning at all. IDK it just doesn't make sense to me.

So what makes a primer more likely to detonate while seating it with powder in a case versus without it?

bod

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    Are you loading the 185's?

I am loading 230's. I did just load up some 185's to test but I had recieved some 230's free so thats what I have used so far. I agree that they are very accurate. They are not a terrible price either if you look around. They feed fine seating them at 1.230" but the groups are just a little tighter when I seat them at 1.200".

poisonspyder

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Durango
    Do you have a reloading manual? It will tell you what the minimum and maximum of the bullet YOU are using. It is different for each bullet profile and weight. Also make sure it will pass the "clunk" test.

I have several manuals but all call for different length s with same bullets. All say1.27 max though. A friend and sponser on here told me the 1.25 and it is within manual specks so that's what i did. We are really talking very minute difference with a few hundreths of a inch. What's clunk test ?

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    I have several manuals but all call for different length s with same bullets. All say1.27 max though. A friend and sponser on here told me the 1.25 and it is within manual specks so that's what i did. We are really talking very minute difference with a few hundreths of a inch. What's clunk test ?

take your barrel out of your gun. take your finished round and drop it in. It should "clunk". then turn it over and make sure it falls out by itself. This will make sure it is sized correctly.

Then put your gun back together and chamber the round. make sure you let the slide go forward on its own. Now eject the round. Inspect bullet to see if there are any marks on it. If there is then it is hitting the rifling and the gun may not be going all the way into battery. If this is the case you need to shorten your OAL. If not you are g2g assuming you have the correct powder charge.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So what makes a primer more likely to detonate while seating it with powder in a case versus without it?

Nothing ! The possibility of a detonation would not change.

It's just that there could possibly be more damage if it were to happen in a charged case... The same reason Lee used to say to only put so many primers in their auto prime... In case of a mass detonation, they wanted to keep it to a minimum number of primers... The manuals never said it was a "safe" step... They always did and probably always will advise to take precautions when using primers...

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom