• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    Nothing ! The possibility of a detonation would not change.

It's just that there could possibly be more damage if it were to happen in a charged case... The same reason Lee used to say to only put so many primers in their auto prime... In case of a mass detonation, they wanted to keep it to a minimum number of primers... The manuals never said it was a "safe" step... They always did and probably always will advise to take precautions when using primers...

Exactly!! But thats not how they make it sound, and it certainly is not how people take it. They think it is dangerous to seat high primers because of a "higher possibility" of it detonating, which is just not true.

You know i may actually have to run some tests of seeing how much a primer can actually take before it detonates. They are not the fragile little things people seem to think they are. Hmm...i'm already thinking of some ideas....:D.

I just wanted to clear up that there is not a higher possibility of a primer detonating by trying to reseat it(as people seem to think).

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Exactly!! But thats not how they make it sound, and it certainly is not how people take it. They think it is dangerous to seat high primers because of a "higher possibility" of it detonating, which is just not true.

You know i may actually have to run some tests of seeing how much a primer can actually take before it detonates. They are not the fragile little things people seem to think they are. Hmm...i'm already thinking of some ideas....:D.

I just wanted to clear up that there is not a higher possibility of a primer detonating by trying to reseat it(as people seem to think).

No, they say not to do it because if one were to detonate, it would be a all together different ballgame than if it were to happen in a empty case...

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    No, they say not to do it because if one were to detonate, it would be a all together different ballgame than if it were to happen in a empty case...

I hear people all the time say.."dont reseat high primers, they could detonate".

Thats what i'm referring to. I understand what the manuals actually mean.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    The odds of primer detonation are the same. Empty case verses loaded cases. However the result of an empty case would be ringing ears. The result of a loaded case would be brass fragments flying about. The bullet being the heaviest part would be similar to burning loaded ammo. Mythbusters did a neat test on that. Somewhat revealing. Uh. Don't try this at home.

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    Re: seating primer with powder in case...
    Powder can, particularly a lot of the spherical powders, flow down the flash hole into the prime pocket.
    At that point, you would be compressing the primer and powder.
    Just me, but I consider it enough of a "possible" hazard that I won't do it.
    Re: COL/OAL:
    For best feeding, you need to find the COL "range" that works best for you. The variables, from one gun to another, that affect what COL works best are:
    1) The max COL the magazine will hold
    2) The magazine lips and when they release the round
    3) The angle and surface of the feed ramp
    4) The location of the lede/rifling/leade in the chamber.
    Since these are gun related, you need to find what COL is best for your pistol.
    Manuals generally list a minimum COL or the COL they used. In both cases, this is a minimum COL for the reloader to use the load data. Due to variations with different bullets (and the same bullet since the manufacturer never tells us when the ogive is changed), you must find the COL that works for you and ALWAYS start with the lowest starting load from various sources.
    Remember, the manual ONLY tells you what they found with their components and their gun. It is a guideline and not a bible.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    As to post by noylj. Listen to this guy. Particularly in regard to minimum OAL as this affects pressure. I learn something every day here.

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    To chime in on both subjects -

1) Deeper seating and recrimping on an XTP bullets probably won't hurt the bullet, but the more crimp marks you put on the bearing surface, it's going to affect your accuracy. I wouldn't try to push a plated or lead bullet down into a crimped case, but the copper jacket shouldn't make it a problem.

2) In terms of seating a primer deeper on a loaded round.... in practical thinking, it's a really stupid idea. Very, very dangerous. In real world thinking, I've done it, and when you're seating primers with a flat seating plug, the chance of detonation is almost non-existent. Almost. I don't condone it, but I will do it from time to time. But I'll say, when I DO re-seat high primers, in that moment, I always wonder why I'm doing something so dumb.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Andrew. Still laughing at that post. I'm enough of an old lady that I can't do that any more. The pucker factor is no longer possible with my 58 year old bung hole.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    To chime in on both subjects -

1) Deeper seating and recrimping on an XTP bullets probably won't hurt the bullet, but the more crimp marks you put on the bearing surface, it's going to affect your accuracy. I wouldn't try to push a plated or lead bullet down into a crimped case, but the copper jacket shouldn't make it a problem.

2) In terms of seating a primer deeper on a loaded round.... in practical thinking, it's a really stupid idea. Very, very dangerous. In real world thinking, I've done it, and when you're seating primers with a flat seating plug, the chance of detonation is almost non-existent. Almost. I don't condone it, but I will do it from time to time. But I'll say, when I DO re-seat high primers, in that moment, I always wonder why I'm doing something so dumb.

Glad to know i'm not the only one that does it. I agree it could end up bad if detonation happened, although as you say almost non-existant. It really doesn't bother me though, i guess i'm still young and stupid....

Top Bottom