• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BrianJacobsen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Carthage
    I'm hoping to be able to purchase a 22 pistol in the near future primarily for use at the range so I can shoot more as ammo costs are out of control. I've done a little research but I'm hoping to tap the accumulated knowledge here.

These are my two favourites thus far...

Ruger SR22

Walther P22

My actual preference would be if Springfield offered a 22 conversion kit for my Springfield XD 9mm*, but failing that these two look pretty good to me. I'd like something with at least a somewhat similar hand feel as the Springfield if at all possible which is why I like these two as opposed to those crazy looking futuristic 22 pistols that look like something out of Star Wars. But I haven't shot them or even held them yet so what say you guys? Is one of these better than the other? Is there some other pistol you prefer, if so, why?

*Just to make sure: Springfield doesn't make a 22 conversion kit, right? I've looked but haven't found one.

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    Correct, Springfield nor anybody else makes a 22LR conversion for the XD pistols. I hate it - I always wanted one for my XD's :(

Additionally: Are you comfortable with the 1911 platform? There's plenty of good options in 1911's! GSG-1911, Browning 1911-22, Sig Sauer 1911-22 (GSG rebadged with Sig, better customer service). Another good one is the (Bersa) Firestorm 22LR, the one I've handled in the past felt nice but I never shot it. The GSG-1911 I've owned and it did great.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    How about
    A ruger MKII
    gunx_ruger22target.jpg

Very VERY accurate handgun. Great training gun and very reliable.

BrianJacobsen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Carthage
    Additionally: Are you comfortable with the 1911 platform? There's plenty of good options in 1911's! GSG-1911, Browning 1911-22, Sig Sauer 1911-22 (GSG rebadged with Sig, better customer service). Another good one is the (Bersa) Firestorm 22LR, the one I've handled in the past felt nice but I never shot it. The GSG-1911 I've owned and it did great.

I have nothing against, I just don't own one so my concern is that it would feel different enough that I would end up shooting different, would feel really different in my hand. Or is that a silly concern?

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    I have nothing against, I just don't own one so my concern is that it would feel different enough that I would end up shooting different, would feel really different in my hand. Or is that a silly concern?

Nothing's silly when it's your comfort involved, dude. I don't care if you like pink grips with a fuzzy dice hanging from the grip, if it fits for you, go for it :thumbsup:

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis

Its deff not a silly concern, actually a good thing...most people I have trained dont get it...just work on the basics and apply them to every pistol you pick up (assuming you know the correct basics)...You are right though, it would be the ideal if you could get a .22 in your daily carry XD

BrianJacobsen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Carthage
    Just get a Buckmark and be done with it.

Good trigger, don't need lube or cleaning, very accurate, and they feel good.

Still a new enough shooter that I'm not sure what this is. Can you provide a link or a proper name? thanks!

Also, thanks for the suggestions for the other guns. Several of them look really interesting. It's hard at this point because I have no ability to shoot ay of these. Any pro tips on how to select between several guns, all of which look fine, that you probably won't be able to shoot before purchase? read reviews? Price point?

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Still a new enough shooter that I'm not sure what this is. Can you provide a link or a proper name? thanks!

Browning Firearms Finder

I've shot Ruger Mark Is, Mark IIIs, and 22/45s and ehh, they just don't do it for me. Triggers feel mushy, and they just don't feel natural. 22 pistols don't recoil, but the way the action works on the Ruger even feels off (for me), the Buckmark feels like a regular pistol. I won't deny the Mark I, II, and III have that classic look (hell, they've been around since 39 so it's become an American classic); but IMO the Buckmark is a better pistol.

As for shooting these suggestions, a lot of people here are more than willing to meet you at a shooting range. It's hard to purchase a firearm without firing it first.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    It would feel just different enough in your hand to sell you on the 1911 platform. Be careful.:D

Top Bottom