• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    There are a lot of good ones out there. The Ruger MKII/III 22/45s, Browning Buckmarks, SR22, M&P22. They will all give you good trigger time with a "similar feel" to your XD, but honestly, if your main goal is for it to be as much like the XD as possible, you have to go M&P22 because it is by far the most similar, size and function wise.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I can vouch for the Ruger Mark II and III's. Reasonable cost, very reliable, fun to shoot(you will wish you had a 100rd mags for them).
    Great deals can be had on the used market.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    Nothing is going to be closer to your XD than the M&P22.
    Handle one yourself and I think you'll agree.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    +1 on the M&P22. Fun gun to shoot. Same size/feel as my m&p9, except you can't change grips on the 22. downside is mags are rare and pricey.

Last edited:

Mat250

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I purchased a 22/45 this spring and it is now one of my favorites. There are very easy and inexpensive upgrades you can do if you want to improve the trigger. The problem with the smaller 22's is going to be accuracy. It sounds like you are going to purchase one for the same reason I did, cheap plinker at the range. A 5"+ barrel imo is going to be more enjoyable to shoot.

Ranger Rick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 6, 2008
    In GOD'S country
    Had a Walther P-22 had a lot of FTF/FTE untell I got about 300 rounds thru it, good gun. Wanted a gun to carry in the woods, fishing, etc. Worked ok then Ruger came out with there SR-22, I like the decocker/safety on the frame vs. slide, easier to operate. Traded for the Ruger, no hick ups yet. More accurate than the P-22 with the solid barrel IMO(and on paper). Shoots anything I put in the mag! Thats what I like!!!

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Another +1 for M&P 22!

And even another +1 for the M&P 22

My children, wife, and myself all enjoy shooting one.

In fact, my wife wants one for EDC (she has muscular dystrophy and has a very difficult time manipulating anything of a larger caliber, can't squeeze triggers easily enough to be confident on most smaller caliber revolvers and is a VERY good shot w/ the M&P).. we got her a bersa Thunder .380 w/ a laserlyte laser and she did ok with it but when she shot the M&P 22 that my 9 year old was shooting (rented from a local range) she immediately had very good shot placement, all 12 rounds and turned to me and said "That's the gun that I want!!" so... we're getting her one :yesway:

ETA: I liked shooting the M&P 22 so much that i rented the M&P 9 and immediately fell in love. That one will be my next EDC purchase.. Then I can shoot hers for cheap plinking/range time and carry mine for SD .. everyone wins :rockwoot:

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    Can't say I've ever fired the walther, but my gf has the SR22 and we both love shooting it. Accurate, reliable, and it's a Ruger for crying' out loud! :rockwoot:

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I love my p22, and they are great once you get them broke in, but for what you are looking for I would highly recommend the S&W mp22. It will be the closest thing you can find to your XD.

Go to a gunshop and handle them and find the one that feels the best to you. Bradis is a great place to go to handle all of them, and they are great at educating you also.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Browning Firearms Finder

I've shot Ruger Mark Is, Mark IIIs, and 22/45s and ehh, they just don't do it for me. Triggers feel mushy, and they just don't feel natural. 22 pistols don't recoil, but the way the action works on the Ruger even feels off (for me), the Buckmark feels like a regular pistol. I won't deny the Mark I, II, and III have that classic look (hell, they've been around since 39 so it's become an American classic); but IMO the Buckmark is a better pistol.

+1
    I've had Mark I, Mark II, and a Buckmark Varmint. All are now gone, but the Buckmark will be replaced. Very good guns!:yesway:

grahamsy2k

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Terre Haute
    Dude.... no questiones asked. you need to get a Ruger mark 3. Dont get the walter its trash. I cant say about the ruger sr22 though.

really though, get the mark 3.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Have had several 22 s , a couple of rugers. Both light and bull barrel. Hands down I prefer
    the buckmark, for all the previously mentioned reasons. It may be the ballance or the shape
    but the gun seems lighter than either Ruger pistol. Look at one before you buy, you won't
    be disappointed.

Plisken

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Under the radar
    Ruger 22/45 for plinking and range use. I have one and its been reliable and accurate. The only gripe I have with this pistol is reassembly its a jigsaw puzzle. Bu they are great guns for plinking and target shooting. built like a tank.

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    First time I pulled out my M&P22 pistol, before the first shot, I put a suppressor on it and ran 12rds of subs through it without a hickup...then another 140rds or so without a single failure...I dont how many 22 pistols can say that they ran flawlessly with subs, remington ammo, and blazer ammo right out of the box before even a cleaning off of the cosmo stuff...those things run

Top Bottom