• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So for us regular folk, being woke, basically means you have your head up your ass.

No? I'm still not sure where this misunderstanding is coming from.

The OP story is definitely a clickbait sort of premise... and wants to say that women find liberal men (feminists) less attractive than alt-right/modern right leaning men (woke movement).

People are supposed to be on the "woke" side of this comparison.

The term "woke" has been co-opted a little, but not enough to cause this much of a mix-up in definition. Someone that considers themselves "woke" tends to be more skeptical of government/news narratives, seeking the actual goings-on behind what they're being told. It really has nothing to do with sexuality or manliness.

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    MOPP = Mission Oriented Protective Posture. US military members are trained to keep the mission going, in a chemical, biological, radiological or nuclear, (CBRN) attack environment.

In the 80's, the Soviets had thousands of tons of CBRN agents to slime NATO airbases, military depots, Forward Supply Points, and HQ facilities. Same situation exists today in Korea. If WWIII had ever kicked off, our life expectancy at a NATO airbase was less than 12 hours. Poor Armour grunts at the Fulda Gap in Germany, had a life expectancy of a few minutes.

CBRN.... That's a blast from the past. It was evolving to NBC while I was in. But our MOPP 4 was exactly as in the F-4 photo, with the M17/M17A1 masks.

I was with the 101st ABN DIV (AASLT) at Fort Campbell. Our mission, with high strategic mobility and low tactical mobility, once we arrive in theater, was to act as a huge speed bump for the advancing Warsaw Pact forces.

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Would I be correct in assuming that there is a certain version of "truth" that you must believe in to meet the requirements of being "woke"?

So for us regular folk, being woke, basically means you have your head up your ass.

I would think so if you want to hang out with that crowd of females.....:nailbite:

All points with which I wholeheartedly agree.

I am also galled by people who use the term "my truth" or "her truth" or "his truth." The story of life plays out differently for each of us, and we are each entitled to our perception and views, but by its very definition, there can only be one "truth." Calling one's worldview and combined experiences a "truth" is yet another way of emphasizing feels and opinions over facts and logic, along with generally accepted social norms.

There are standards of behavior that society accepts as reasonable and acceptable. Some actions, such as murder, are universally accepted as wrong and should be sanctions. Unfortunately, the "woke" are working hard to move the acceptable/unacceptable line for their membership, their tribe. But not for others, such as the cave-man-like, "unwoke" people who do not view EVERYTHING from their "enlightened" worldview. [/RANT]

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    All points with which I wholeheartedly agree.

I am also galled by people who use the term "my truth" or "her truth" or "his truth." The story of life plays out differently for each of us, and we are each entitled to our perception and views, but by its very definition, there can only be one "truth." Calling one's worldview and combined experiences a "truth" is yet another way of emphasizing feels and opinions over facts and logic, along with generally accepted social norms.

There are standards of behavior that society accepts as reasonable and acceptable. Some actions, such as murder, are universally accepted as wrong and should be sanctions. Unfortunately, the "woke" are working hard to move the acceptable/unacceptable line for their membership, their tribe. But not for others, such as the cave-man-like, "unwoke" people who do not view EVERYTHING from their "enlightened" worldview. [/RANT]

Huh. Another good point. So throat slapping is out.....:dunno:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I helped a young man change a tire, because he didn't know how. But I SHOWED him. He did most of the work, to help him remember. I'm not changing someone's tire while they talk on the phone.
    I don't blame the young man I helped... no one showed him.

+1, even when I was copper, I had little patience for that stuff. For the elderly, and women, I'd change a tire, but for young men? Hell no. I had one guy tell me he'd change the tire himself, but it would get his hands dirty. I was like "I'll call you a tow, because I don't want to get my hands dirty either." There were some young men, though, that were eager to learn how to change a tire, because their own daddies didn't know how to do it either. I literally help a son, who was all for it, change a tire while his dad sat baffled.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    +1, even when I was copper, I had little patience for that stuff. For the elderly, and women, I'd change a tire, but for young men? Hell no. I had one guy tell me he'd change the tire himself, but it would get his hands dirty. I was like "I'll call you a tow, because I don't want to get my hands dirty either." There were some young men, though, that were eager to learn how to change a tire, because their own daddies didn't know how to do it either. I literally help a son, who was all for it, change a tire while his dad sat baffled.

It's funny the things we take for granted isn't it? I've done projects around the house and will be talking about it in certain groups and occasionally hear "You know how to do that??!!!" My response is usually "You Don't?!"

Back to the OP; is there a phrase or word for the "Non-Woke"? Perhaps "literally Hitler" or some variant of "ist" depending on the situation? or is there some all encompassing term for those of us that relish our lack of woke-ness?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Back to the OP; is there a phrase or word for the "Non-Woke"? Perhaps "literally Hitler" or some variant of "ist" depending on the situation? or is there some all encompassing term for those of us that relish our lack of woke-ness?

The opposite. It's the "woke" crowd that's typically considered "right-leaning" right now, and therefore "Hitler".

To be "non-woke" is just normal, go-with-the-flow, believe everything you're told... "NPC-like".

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Makes me wonder how acts of kindness and good manners from a classy man like Sidney Poitier or Cary Grant, would be perceived in today's world of "benevolent sexism"?

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I'm pretty sure we're to the point that "w*ke" is now one of those words that only certain segments of society can use.

It is a compliment or an insult and means exactly and only what the acceptable user wants it to mean at the instant the acceptable user uses it.

In the next phrase, it may mean the same, the opposite, or anything else the acceptable user deems appropriate.

Use of the term by anyone other than an acceptable user is extreme cultural, racial, or awareness appropriation and indicative of one unworthy of existence.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Do we have an official skinny jean wearing millennial to weigh in on this?

We just had Thanksgiving followed by Christmas.
    All my jeans are skinny now. :(

And for the record, I woke this afternoon. It was a hard night.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Ya know, the only people that can throw shade at the skinny jean wearing men crowd, are those who did not own.... or wish to own, leather pants. And I'm taking about you 80s hair band guys. If Slayer, Warrant, Wild Cherry, Poison, Motley Crue, Skid Row, Bon Jovi, Van Halen, RATT, Def Leppard, Whitesnake, and others bring back fond memories.... you know who you are, lol.

I am immune, to that vice, but I can't make fun of hair styles, because I wanted a Jheri curl, and was mad that Soul Glow wasn't a real thing.

Top Bottom